Votes: 34 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been in the bone camp since first poll
Voted giraffe, knowing the durability of bone
View attachment 1385351

I must say that I do not concur with whoever wrote these. Although if used "green", horn is more susceptible to movement - horn is much less brittle to the drop and I have seen horn slabs in perfect condition on knives just as old as any wood / bone.

I must say that I do not concur with whoever wrote these. Although if used "green", horn is more susceptible to movement - horn is much less brittle to the drop and I have seen horn slabs in perfect condition on knives just as old as any wood / bone.
Website of a non BFC approved vendor :eek: who shipped their knives for free
And personal experience of living in Arizona with humidity ranging from 5% to 80% depending on the season.
But still “in” on the horn
And “in” on a swayback in giraffe if it becomes available, signed up for your newsletter today :)

A vote for amboyna since my favorite blue mask acrylic was never in the running. I've always had poor luck for book matched rams horn, but I'll be in for 2 regardless.

This is a toughie! I REALLY want to go for the ram’s horn after seeing all the beautiful examples (I’ve liked every single one shown), but I’ve had some issues with flaking with ram’s horn. It was only on two knives, and they were rather cheap. I figured it was the humidity here, but any chance that it was caused by poor materials instead? All of the ram’s horn I’ve seen from Viper looks to be way higher quality than what I previously owned.

High humidity is unlikely to make Ram's Horn flake, more than likely as it was on a cheaper knife it is the quality of the horn- or lack of preparation.

If Rams Horn is the winning choice , I hope that it will be the External surface and not the Internal but either one is still a good Slab choice .
External :

Internal :

Harry
I'd kind of like one of each...
To be clear, I don't mean both types on one knife - that would bug me.

Thanks for the chance to vote again.

I like all three but voted for the wood burl.

Really looking forward to seeing and using the knife. I’ve had nothing but fun using and carrying the last two year’s models.

It’s pretty neat that we are experiencing three consecutive years with knives from three different manufacturers. Neat.

I don’t have a Viper and they look great. I can’t think of a better reason to pick one up now.

Last edited:
This is a toughie! I REALLY want to go for the ram’s horn after seeing all the beautiful examples (I’ve liked every single one shown), but I’ve had some issues with flaking with ram’s horn. It was only on two knives, and they were rather cheap. I figured it was the humidity here, but any chance that it was caused by poor materials instead? All of the ram’s horn I’ve seen from Viper looks to be way higher quality than what I previously owned.
G'day was just reading your post. If i could make a suggestion, i have a selection of bone and horn knives. Once a year, you may have to do it more often because of your climate, i give them a light rub with oil, leave them for 3 days, then a rub down with a soft rag. I have never had a problem, i use orange oil, only because i have it for furniture nourishment. Hope this helps, have a good week and look after yourself.

High humidity is unlikely to make Ram's Horn flake, more than likely as it was on a cheaper knife it is the quality of the horn- or lack of preparation.

G'day was just reading your post. If i could make a suggestion, i have a selection of bone and horn knives. Once a year, you may have to do it more often because of your climate, i give them a light rub with oil, leave them for 3 days, then a rub down with a soft rag. I have never had a problem, i use orange oil, only because i have it for furniture nourishment. Hope this helps, have a good week and look after yourself.

Good enough for me! +1 for ram’s horn. :)

I voted giraffe again. Amboyna burl is pretty and I've had some pool cues that feature it but it just doesn't do it for me. I'll be happy with ram horn or giraffe and count me in for 2

There are ZERO bad choices to be made . If Rams Horn is the winning choice , I hope that it will be the External surface and not the Internal but either one is still a good Slab choice .
External :

Internal :

Harry

I'm not sure which I would pick of these two! You're right, no bad choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back