BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Just got mine! Very happy with the pattern View attachment 1457035

Another bit of Magic, tremendous look to it :cool:

Mine's now being sent on from Florida so the excitement builds but I have to rein myself in, it could be a very long wait all the way back to Europe, as much travelled already as Marco Polo:D

The variation in scale slabs is compelling, really hooked on this thread. You see one, that's great, then there's another completely different that turns you head, the power of difference :cool:

Thanks, Will

@Prester John r8shell r8shell @Peregrin et. all - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - errrrrrrrrrrrr Slam Bam let's have some Spam!!! It's a slicer folks. Slices really well. Thought this plate was appropriate as Jack Alan Ryan gave it to my wife Cindy before he passed. Besides, it goes with the saying "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner" even though it's a Rooster.:rolleyes:

Nbqcoym.jpg

Yes, looks like it does the job :D But now you have to eat that pink
stuff...I know you're a fan but :eek:;)

I'd try Corned Beef for preference or some nice mountain salami with walnuts in it ;)

These knives don't fear versatility :D:thumbsup:

First day in the pocket and couldn’t be happier ! Amazed how good and natural it feels in hand. Like I mentioned it’s razor sharp and slices threw paper effortlessly with very little friction. Can’t wait to put it to use !
Until then I’m enjoying it immensely.
LeKkGmN.jpg

Last edited:
I take back most of the bad stuff i said about the usps they just arrived!! I only had a chance to peek at em quick they look great! I will take pics later after the kiddo and critters are all fed and in bed

OK, I'm content now. :) A few coats of Ren wax (buffed between applications) did the trick. Surface is sealed nicely, has a glossy appearance and overall smooth feel, and the deeper grooves aren't completely filled in with a different colored substance. (Granted, there is some un-polished wax in the deeper grooves that is slightly whitish-looking under magnification, but it's barely perceptible with the naked eye.)

This is how it should look, IMO. Viper should have used a different polish that buffed clear on these, it's out there, and it would have looked a lot better. Overall though, I'm still a happy camper. :thumbsup:

IMG_6218.jpg

Got my pair today and they are sensational. I couldn't be happier with the coloring and although they are both dark, one is kind of uniform and the other a bit gnarly. What a cool cover option. Thanks Mike!

IMG_20201117_152506_copy_750x1000.jpg

4EA11FF1-8807-4F2A-A148-45042BAEBA97.jpeg 53CF8A7E-FAFD-4D9C-86FD-07E485D61366.jpeg 37590A72-09A6-4D36-ADEA-2E2635C95B41.jpeg 0ADD8D42-AD12-40A0-91EA-09AA9B7242B4.jpeg
Before and after cleaning and waxing. Not sure if the pictures show it, but mine got a bit darker as well. This is my first ram’s horn and I’m really pleased with the texture and appearance. The knife itself is really well done—I like it better than the Lionsteel barlows and Bolus that I’ve had and passed on. I may have to try a sowbelly after this one gets some pocket time.

I know it has been said, but I’m so thankful to the Blade Forum moderators who worked on this, to Spark, and to Mike for making this happen in such a flash. For it to turn out such quality is really outstanding.

Newb question about my first “traditional.” The mark side is smooth and the pile side is textured and a little thicker - normal? Thanks.

The covers were much easier to remove than anticipated (I applaud Viper's use of blue Loctite!), so I just went ahead and removed them before scrubbing them down with a toothbrush and soap. It was probably for the best as there was quite a bit of polishing compound and it took some elbow grease to remove. An added perk was that the smell that I didn't care for was coming from the polishing compound and is now gone for the most part. I dried them and then added a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax. I figure I'll let them sit overnight and then give them a good buff in the morning. So far I think they look a lot better without the polishing compound (especially the blonde). Some of the crevices were a fair bit deeper than I thought. I'll try to get some better pics up tomorrow when their is some light. :)

sQykM3q.jpg

Newb question about my first “traditional.” The mark side is smooth and the pile side is textured and a little thicker - normal? Thanks.
With horn being a natural material with allot of variation it would be normal to have those differences. I would only be offput if one side was very light and the other dark. You'll get the same kind of variation in stag, a good maker will try to match them as best they can.

I am considering taking a brush and soap to the scales to clean them up and trying Ren wax on them, just curious if anyone has used this on ram horn in the past and how it holds up? Or if you had to reapply so often? Compared to the wax it was buffed with from the factory?

I've used Ren was on some handle scales in the past but never on ram horn so I'm wondering.

Last edited:
Back