BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Hmm. Mine is about half a millimeter below the liner.
At the point it starts tearing up my pocket, I may have to do something.
Checked my CK edition from Mike's first run of them and its tip sits higher than this new BF rams horn. Still not an issue for it. But looks like there is some variation in edge bevel grinding.

I have noticed some subtle differences between the first run and this BF version. For instance: The back spring sits a bit taller on the first run where it is just about flush with the liners on the new one. The chamfering on the bolsters is narrower on the new run than the old, giving the BF knives a more squared look and feel. Also, the back spring towards the butt of the knife extends a bit further up on the new knife, narrowing the gap between it and the blade tip.

Overall, the first run has a more rounded feel with its taller back spring, chamfered bolsters, and of course, the Stag covers help with that impression as well. Neither are bad, just things I've noticed.

So, I sharpened mine and adjusted the edge angle to around 18dps.
Didn't remove a lot of material but I could almost catch a little skin under the tip beforehand so afterwards it was a bit more pronounced.
Just enough to catch skin with no pressure.
Not a big deal but seeing as we're already discussing the mechanics of dropping the blade a little lower in the frame...I went ahead and did it.;)

Here's where it sits after sharpening to 18dps.
Not all that bad, just catches.
ZjH3bZV.jpg

Disassembled.
There are 2 screws on each side of the frame holding it together.
I left the 2 on the other side.
2L7dYzL.jpg

Just lift the side right off, a little sticky but no trouble.
BTW, the pivot screw has some thread lock on it so you'll need 2 torx drivers.

Here's some good news.
The "kick" does contact the backspring when the stop pin is removed and prevents the blade from any contact with the spring so even if there were too much material removed from the stop pin notch the knife wouldn't be ruined.
Here's a shot of the blade tip in the closed position with the stop pin removed.
7IfY3Qu.jpg

I used a Dremel with a diamond burr bit and removed just a little seeing as I only wanted to drop the blade a touch.
Used a polishing wheel after to smooth things out.
My micrometer just wouldn't really read that small amount really accurately so I can't give exact numbers.
Anyway, here's the end result after reassembly.
SoapVY0.jpg

Here's the stop pin notch I ground.
GrrVnKw.jpg

And as I mentioned in another post, it's a little convoluted getting it apart and reassembling.
Had to clamp it down to a bench after I removed one side and with the blade in the half-stop position I inserted a small torx screwdriver into the stop pin hole and gently moved the back spring to release tension.
Did the same to reassemble.
Be careful!
I spent some years as a machinist and have a level of skill with these sort of things so unless you're comfortable just leave it alone.

No, but during covid we need to solve the problems that don't exist just as thoroughly as those that do :D

Have never seen a bug, nor bug damage on horn handles. And have some in my collection 100 years old. But, others experience may vary.
It's carpet beetles. But who has carpets for them to hide in these days?

Are bugs a common issue with horn?

Depends on your way of life ;):D

I have a bovine horn beaker that I keep pens in. It's definitely over a century old and when my father was a little boy it already had a few, very few, bore-holes on it and it probably got them while the owner was alive and walking round the fields..;)

Many ancient churches & other buildings in Europe have Deathwatch beetle in the hardwood timbers, but they haven't collapsed in centuries, just sayin'

I think the biggest issue with Horn or other natural animal materials is the variance in fit and appearance. One person may love a smooth blonde look while anther want's brown stripes or black etc.

Adds workload to the retailer to individually list or sort them. Even wood might be an issue for some people if they like a prominent grain vs. completely smooth.

But just for disambiguation I did vote for horn and I'm happy it won!

Mine came earlier than expected, this past Monday (after the USPS tracker predicted today, Wednesday). Unfortunately I had already left home to hunt for a few days, and just got to open it up and look today. What a great surprise - I got the Rachel model - looks a bit like the Hatteras Lighthouse. Great walk & talk, great fit & finish, very sharp, and cool to boot! OH
Ps I take it the tang etch of "M390" is the blade steel? Is that a stainless steel? thanks to Mike at Collector Knives for making this Blade Forum Knife happen!
Viper-Blade-Forums-2020-1.jpg

Viper-Blade-Forums-2020-3.jpg
Congratulations! You got one of the zebra unicorns, too!
So, I sharpened mine and adjusted the edge angle to around 18dps.
Didn't remove a lot of material but I could almost catch a little skin under the tip beforehand so afterwards it was a bit more pronounced.
Just enough to catch skin with no pressure.
Not a big deal but seeing as we're already discussing the mechanics of dropping the blade a little lower in the frame...I went ahead and did it.;)

Here's where it sits after sharpening to 18dps.
Not all that bad, just catches.
ZjH3bZV.jpg

Disassembled.
There are 2 screws on each side of the frame holding it together.
I left the 2 on the other side.
2L7dYzL.jpg

Just lift the side right off, a little sticky but no trouble.
BTW, the pivot screw has some thread lock on it so you'll need 2 torx drivers.

Here's some good news.
The "kick" does contact the backspring when the stop pin is removed and prevents the blade from any contact with the spring so even if there were too much material removed from the stop pin notch the knife wouldn't be ruined.
Here's a shot of the blade tip in the closed position with the stop pin removed.
7IfY3Qu.jpg

I used a Dremel with a diamond burr bit and removed just a little seeing as I only wanted to drop the blade a touch.
Used a polishing wheel after to smooth things out.
My micrometer just wouldn't really read that small amount really accurately so I can't give exact numbers.
Anyway, here's the end result after reassembly.
SoapVY0.jpg

Here's the stop pin notch I ground.
GrrVnKw.jpg

And as I mentioned in another post, it's a little convoluted getting it apart and reassembling.
Had to clamp it down to a bench after I removed one side and with the blade in the half-stop position I inserted a small torx screwdriver into the stop pin hole and gently moved the back spring to release tension.
Did the same to reassemble.
Be careful!
I spent some years as a machinist and have a level of skill with these sort of things so unless you're comfortable just leave it alone.
Thank you very much for showing this. At the point I feel it's necessary I may try it myself, or I might find someone more mechanically inclined to send it to, but it's reassuring to know that it can be done.

Just a thought, sort of wondering out loud and a question for those that know.

Would shellac be appropriate to apply/seal the horn after washing it up ?

I know it's food safe as it's used for medicines and candy, it is a natural product, good sealer, moisture proof etc.
I have flakes that I use once in a while on wooden projects by mixing them with denature alcohol.
Not sure a sealant is necessary Dan but a knife manufacturer once revealed in a video their formula for sealing natural materials. Shellac and Boiled Linseed Oil mixed 50/50. I've used it on wood and stag with good result so it should be fine. If you use it let us know how it works for you.

Still raining... But there's light now at least. I really like how the covers turned out after a good cleaning and application of paste wax. The blonde has a nice translucent look to it now and much more depth. :D

f78gelO.jpg

Warping makes sense because the tensions that existed during growth and when the horn was intact are gone and the material is pretty thin. Changing humidity and temps alone will obviously have an effect over time.
Is water a problem because interior horn material is exposed? Or it's not growing anymore?
Because I would think they get and stay wet quite often while being worn by the animal.

When I was thinking about buying a knife with rams horn covers awhile back I wanted to know more because I've never owned one so I google as a knife handle. Besides the different look from cover to cover, it's very durable but some articles did mention it can change shape and warp. Whether this is caused by water or just something that can happen I really don't know. So to me why put fuel on the fire, or should I say water and take the chance.

If proud tips do become an issue and folks don't have the courage, ability, or interest in trying to modify it themselves, what sort of service might Viper be willing to provide, if any?

knifeswapper knifeswapper

Congratulations! You got one of the zebra unicorns, too!

Thank you very much for showing this. At the point I feel it's necessary I may try it myself, or I might find someone more mechanically inclined to send it to, but it's reassuring to know that it can be done.

r8shell r8shell - Rachel. Just send it to Barman1 Barman1 .:) You could probably entice him with a couple/three pounds of Texas BBQ and a Picture Postcard of the Alamo.:rolleyes:

If proud tips do become an issue and folks don't have the courage, ability, or interest in trying to modify it themselves, what sort of service might Viper be willing to provide, if any?

They would be happy to take care of it over a reasonable amount of time. But, as most warranty work goes, shipping will eat you up pretty quick. Sounds like just getting enough spread to pull the floating stop pin will leave the knife as most other slipjoints resting on the kick.

They would be happy to take care of it over a reasonable amount of time. But, as most warranty work goes, shipping will eat you up pretty quick. Sounds like just getting enough spread to pull the floating stop pin will leave the knife as most other slipjoints resting on the kick.
One side of the frame just lifts right off and the stop pin can be removed simply.
Takes just a few minutes.
I'm not sure if there are any variations in the grinds or f&f on these but if there are the results may vary regarding blade clearance.
One of those ymmv situations....

Back