1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Nov 12, 2020.

1. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    No, but during covid we need to solve the problems that don't exist just as thoroughly as those that do :D

Have never seen a bug, nor bug damage on horn handles. And have some in my collection 100 years old. But, others experience may vary.

2. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    It was with the old (pre-1960's) horn buttplates on FN shotguns. But that was many years ago, not sure how horn products are stabilized today. OH

TraditionalMedicinal likes this.
  3. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    Checked my CK edition from Mike's first run of them and its tip sits higher than this new BF rams horn. Still not an issue for it. But looks like there is some variation in edge bevel grinding.

r8shell likes this.
  4. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I have noticed some subtle differences between the first run and this BF version. For instance: The back spring sits a bit taller on the first run where it is just about flush with the liners on the new one. The chamfering on the bolsters is narrower on the new run than the old, giving the BF knives a more squared look and feel. Also, the back spring towards the butt of the knife extends a bit further up on the new knife, narrowing the gap between it and the blade tip.

Overall, the first run has a more rounded feel with its taller back spring, chamfered bolsters, and of course, the Stag covers help with that impression as well. Neither are bad, just things I've noticed.

5. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    So, I sharpened mine and adjusted the edge angle to around 18dps.
    Didn't remove a lot of material but I could almost catch a little skin under the tip beforehand so afterwards it was a bit more pronounced.
    Just enough to catch skin with no pressure.
    Not a big deal but seeing as we're already discussing the mechanics of dropping the blade a little lower in the frame...I went ahead and did it.;)

Here's where it sits after sharpening to 18dps.
    Not all that bad, just catches.
    [​IMG]

Disassembled.
    There are 2 screws on each side of the frame holding it together.
    I left the 2 on the other side.
    [​IMG]

Just lift the side right off, a little sticky but no trouble.
    BTW, the pivot screw has some thread lock on it so you'll need 2 torx drivers.

Here's some good news.
    The "kick" does contact the backspring when the stop pin is removed and prevents the blade from any contact with the spring so even if there were too much material removed from the stop pin notch the knife wouldn't be ruined.
    Here's a shot of the blade tip in the closed position with the stop pin removed.
    [​IMG]

I used a Dremel with a diamond burr bit and removed just a little seeing as I only wanted to drop the blade a touch.
    Used a polishing wheel after to smooth things out.
    My micrometer just wouldn't really read that small amount really accurately so I can't give exact numbers.
    Anyway, here's the end result after reassembly.
    [​IMG]

Here's the stop pin notch I ground.
    [​IMG]

And as I mentioned in another post, it's a little convoluted getting it apart and reassembling.
    Had to clamp it down to a bench after I removed one side and with the blade in the half-stop position I inserted a small torx screwdriver into the stop pin hole and gently moved the back spring to release tension.
    Did the same to reassemble.
    Be careful!
    I spent some years as a machinist and have a level of skill with these sort of things so unless you're comfortable just leave it alone.

Elgatodeacero, mbkr, Dadpool and 28 others like this.
  6. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Definitely leaving mine alone, incompetent tinkering is the stuff of nightmares :eek::D

Prester John, knarfeng, btb01 and 6 others like this.
  7. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    It's carpet beetles. But who has carpets for them to hide in these days?

8. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Depends on your way of life ;):D

I have a bovine horn beaker that I keep pens in. It's definitely over a century old and when my father was a little boy it already had a few, very few, bore-holes on it and it probably got them while the owner was alive and walking round the fields..;)

Many ancient churches & other buildings in Europe have Deathwatch beetle in the hardwood timbers, but they haven't collapsed in centuries, just sayin'

9. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I think the biggest issue with Horn or other natural animal materials is the variance in fit and appearance. One person may love a smooth blonde look while anther want's brown stripes or black etc.

Adds workload to the retailer to individually list or sort them. Even wood might be an issue for some people if they like a prominent grain vs. completely smooth.

But just for disambiguation I did vote for horn and I'm happy it won!

10. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Congratulations! You got one of the zebra unicorns, too!
    Thank you very much for showing this. At the point I feel it's necessary I may try it myself, or I might find someone more mechanically inclined to send it to, but it's reassuring to know that it can be done.

11. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Not sure a sealant is necessary Dan but a knife manufacturer once revealed in a video their formula for sealing natural materials. Shellac and Boiled Linseed Oil mixed 50/50. I've used it on wood and stag with good result so it should be fine. If you use it let us know how it works for you.

CelloDan likes this.
  12. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Still raining... But there's light now at least. I really like how the covers turned out after a good cleaning and application of paste wax. The blonde has a nice translucent look to it now and much more depth. :D

[​IMG]

Elgatodeacero, mbkr, Dadpool and 16 others like this.
  13. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    @knifeswapper thanks for the reply. And thank you for making this happen for all of us, it means alot to me and i am sure everyone else too.

DCMcElroy likes this.
  14. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    When I was thinking about buying a knife with rams horn covers awhile back I wanted to know more because I've never owned one so I google as a knife handle. Besides the different look from cover to cover, it's very durable but some articles did mention it can change shape and warp. Whether this is caused by water or just something that can happen I really don't know. So to me why put fuel on the fire, or should I say water and take the chance.

FLymon likes this.
  15. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    If proud tips do become an issue and folks don't have the courage, ability, or interest in trying to modify it themselves, what sort of service might Viper be willing to provide, if any?

@knifeswapper

16. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    @r8shell - Rachel. Just send it to @Barman1.:) You could probably entice him with a couple/three pounds of Texas BBQ and a Picture Postcard of the Alamo.:rolleyes:

mbkr, Prester John, nickvnlr and 3 others like this.
  17. Barman1

Jun 21, 2013
    And SPAM, don't forget the SPAM.;)

mbkr, Prester John, Haegar and 2 others like this.
  18. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    They would be happy to take care of it over a reasonable amount of time. But, as most warranty work goes, shipping will eat you up pretty quick. Sounds like just getting enough spread to pull the floating stop pin will leave the knife as most other slipjoints resting on the kick.

19. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Or who has a vacuum cleaner?:D

Danke42 likes this.
  20. Barman1

Jun 21, 2013
    One side of the frame just lifts right off and the stop pin can be removed simply.
    Takes just a few minutes.
    I'm not sure if there are any variations in the grinds or f&f on these but if there are the results may vary regarding blade clearance.
    One of those ymmv situations....