BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

What would estimate the original factory angle to be?
Also, thanks for sharing all that info with pics?
My guess would be around 30 degrees conclusive. If your going to sharpen it and don’t know we’re to begin just use a black sharpe to mark the edge. That way you can see were your stone is hitting since you always want to sharpen from the edge back unless your reprofiling your edge.

Last edited:
My guess would be around 30 degrees conclusive. If your going to sharpen it and don’t we’re to begin just use a black sharpe to mark the edge. That way you can see were your stone is hitting since you always want to sharpen from the edge back unless your reprofiling your edge.
I was thinking it was maybe 20 dps and he wanted it thinner

I was thinking it was maybe 20 dps and he wanted it thinner
I’m sure each one will vary slightly because I’m guessing their all sharpened by hand.
Maybe I should of said mine cuts and looks like 30 conclusive or 15 dps :thumbsup: :)

I have no replacements and the factory has no more (nor will it probably ever be made again).

That's a bit disheartening, as I'm really starting to think mine is lost...no tracking info since it left OKC on the 13th.

:eek: looks like they're even more partial to BONE that skull...:D

......bone degrades faster, and given half a chance, the hyenas would have it anyway...!

Every walking safari I've been on, we come across horn/antler from some beast or other, always been attacked by these beetles - but then, they've no pocket or slip to protect them or hand to cosset ;)

What would estimate the original factory angle to be?
Also, thanks for sharing all that info with pics?
Pulled out my NIB blonde for a comparison shot and angle measurement.
Looks to be somewhere in the range of 19-20dps.
Tough to get an exact angle measurement before sharpening though.
The lower blade that I sharpened is set at 18-19dps (some microbeveling).
Good grinds on these from Viper and my small reprofile came out nice and consistent and crazy sharp.
qN6a3Xs.jpg

That, and I found 2 cans in the cupboard I forgot about till now.
UWkdXJ3.jpg
Wanna know a secret? ;) I ate Spam as a kid and it was one of the things I swore I would never eat again unless I was starving. Then along comes Blade Forums and Spam "advertising".... now I buy the stuff again and occasionally eat it. What goes around comes around, right?

Very pleased with this year's forum knife. Love the pictures and the comments.

Pulled out my NIB blonde for a comparison shot and angle measurement.
Looks to be somewhere in the range of 19-20dps.
Tough to get an exact angle measurement before sharpening though.
The lower blade that I sharpened is set at 18-19dps (some microbeveling).
Good grinds on these from Viper and my small reprofile came out nice and consistent and crazy sharp.
qN6a3Xs.jpg
Nice!! Thank you

I'm not going to wash, brush, or scrub, mine. I like it just as it came from the box and plastic sleeve and it's plenty sharp as is for now. After all, it sliced a full can of Spam in 30-seconds flat.

1TBKnWQ.jpg

and I like the way the arc/arch/curve (whatever you want to call it) follows the spine of the blade when closed.

GSiGzSa.jpg

kdXOpgL.jpg

and besides that, if I were to change the appearance of the knife, I'd have to take all my pictures of it over again. So, I'll just resist the urge to fiddle fart around with it and just admire it.

9D298C17-AD6B-4EB6-B503-32B1DA0C6384.jpeg
My BF Viper just arrived.

This is my very first modern type slip joint and I really was not expecting to care for it very much.
I am actually very impressed with it.

The pull is about a 6 which is close to perfect imo.
The horn covers are very pleasing to the eye and also it feels nice in hand.
No sharp edges.

Now I just a bit ago took it out of the box so I have yet to cut with it but it seems capable enough.
Mike really did a great job with this, thanks knifeswapper knifeswapper .

Next year we should do one in stag and let everybody pick out the knife they want. JK.

This is definitely a highlight of 2020.

That's a bit disheartening, as I'm really starting to think mine is lost...no tracking info since it left OKC on the 13th.
I'm betting it is still on the way. Mine left the 14th, was supposed to be here today, but is now arriving late with no delivery date. I just took delivery of another knife that left Portland Oregon on the 3rd, had no scans until it was delivered today. Most of my other packages have been late. USPS is super slow right now and their tracking is less than helpful.

......bone degrades faster, and given half a chance, the hyenas would have it anyway...!

Every walking safari I've been on, we come across horn/antler from some beast or other, always been attacked by these beetles - but then, they've no pocket or slip to protect them or hand to cosset ;)

Must stop leaving my knives out in the garden ;):D

Back