1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Will a strop loaded with cubic boron nitride work to polish the edge after the diamond hones, or should I be looking for some diamond paste to load my strop?

P.S. I think the horn on your knife is my favorite so far...

Edit for spelling.

TheFactor and meako like this.
  2. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Hope you're right. Haven't really had any issues getting stuff here so far. Sometimes a day or two late, which is understandable, but the tracking has been pretty good. This is a first for me, so probably overreacting.

jux t and craytab like this.
  3. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    It cuts steak just fine, though I do feel a bit protective of the tip of the blade.

A superb knife.
    27E4DC48-36E2-43EB-B3B9-2E9771AA2C43.jpeg

mbkr, Dadpool, paulhilborn and 26 others like this.
  4. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    If it makes you feel any better I had a package go missing for a week with no update. It contained a couple of things from Baryonyx knife... I waited the week before I emailed Ben, and lo and behold it shows up the next day (no tracking update until it was at my door). So I hope it's a similar situation for you.

jlauffer likes this.
  5. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I had a hankerin' for some caramel apple - so we got some of the caramel and some peanuts and I cut up a nice tart apple with the Swayback. It worked great for cutting up the apple - nice slicing and not cleaving like a thicker blade.

[​IMG]

I also used the knife to trim flash off of a set of factory Ruger single action grips - worked well and had no problem doing the trimming.

I have been a fan of M390, and this seems to perform well so far.

best

mqqn

mbkr, Dadpool, paulhilborn and 21 others like this.
  6. LizaMari

LizaMari Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2014
    My beautiful little Italian paisan showed up this afternoon and I am delighted. I was hoping for darker scales, but these lighter ones are just the bee's knees. Screaming sharp, too! Thank you so much Mike for making this happen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Elgatodeacero, mbkr, Dadpool and 33 others like this.
  7. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    You should be alright with CBN.

Also, if you go with diamond, I'd recommend spray and not paste. You get better coverage, more sizing consistency, and it won't harden your strop like pastes and emulsions sometimes do. I would also recommend starting with a virgin strop.

8. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018

Guess I'm gonna have to shop for a strop... Mine is an old bullhide belt that held my pants up under a climbing saddle for several years. I've been pretty happy with the cbn emulsion from ksf since I got it, but wanted to be sure before I exasperated myself trying to use it on something it isn't suitable for. Where do you recommend getting diamond compound from?

9. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    Unless you just want to get a new strop, you might want to just try what you got. Should work well. That said, for vanadium-rich steels like the M390, a hard backed strop is generally more preferred. You can actually use the spray on paint sticks or balsa wood. It has enough rigidity to not crush too much under the hard steel but a little give too.

I would stick with 1um but that's personal preference.

So as to stay in keeping with site vendor rules, I'll send you a PM.

woodysone and Wild Willie like this.
  10. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Making an awesome pot of ramen for dinner and didn’t want to be left out! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jideta, mbkr, Dadpool and 32 others like this.
  11. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    I appreciate it, I was hoping to see a supporting vendor offering it, and that's kind of where I stopped shopping around.

12. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Not sure about common but I’ve experienced it on a Laguiole. Ruined the resale value but the knife was still useable. Bernard Levine has a commentary on it: http://www.knife-expert.com/bugs036.txt

redsparrow likes this.
  13. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    Well, the first link I sent you isn't to a formal supporting vendor, but that gentleman is a BF treasure and has contributed a ton to this site. Especially in the MTE forum. He's a professional sharpener, blade smith, innovator, runs a small business, and is an all-around good guy. :)

Wild Willie likes this.
  14. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    I normally use the black compound on a leather block strop and seems to work perfect on every blade steel I’ve ever owned. It’ll bring it back to hair popping sharp and push cut receipt paper. But keep in mind I normally don’t let mine get very dull. I enjoy stropping my knives almost as much as using them. Love a nice quiet room as I’m stropping so I can hear the amount of contact it’s making and I can fine tune my angle by feel and how it sounds dragging across the strop block.It’s like music to my ears :)
    Consistent angle with Light pressure and not rolling it up at the end of the stroke and I’m good to go:thumbsup:

Old Hunter likes this.
  15. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
  16. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    It's hard for me to have an absolutely quiet area with two little ones ramming around, but sharpening my knives is about as close to zen as I get...

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  17. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Thank you.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  18. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Not as dramatic as some, but very nice horn, with decent matching!!
    I like these!!:)
    (Which one to keep? Which one to keep?) - I love them both!!:D BF 2020 1.jpg BF 2020 2.jpg

JOELSM, mbkr, redsparrow and 42 others like this.
  19. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
  20. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks, this is helpful advice.
    I had given up on stropping because I got so frustrated with it. I can freehand sharpen rather well, but then I use a strop, and the blade gets duller. :mad:
    After reading your post about using balsa wood, I dug out the tube of diamond paste I bought years ago, smeared some on a paint stirrer, and held it against the Sharpmaker rods so I could keep a consistent angle. Slow strokes with edge trailing.
    WhooHoo this Viper is sharp! Looking through a jeweler's loupe, I can still see some of the factory grind lines on the edge, so I know I haven't removed an excessive amount of steel, but they are starting to polish out. :cool::thumbsup: