1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Hmmm. Tried them both and T-9 fits much better. T-8 has some slop. Yes they are good bits. But I'll defer to you.:thumbsup:

CelloDan likes this.
  2. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Sounds like it might be easier just to learn to make the knives yourself! :confused: ;)

I've been carrying mine quite a bit since I got it (usually paired with something else).

[​IMG]

3. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I only have two Wiha T9's and neither one fit in the head. So, that is curious.

4. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Wow, really strange, thanks for checking. I have 3 sets: Snap-on, Husky and I don't remember the other. I just went and checked again and same on all 3, the 9 is a perfect fit, 8 is sloppy. Sorry for the confusion, though.:thumbsup:

Modoc ED, hornetguy and CelloDan like this.
  5. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    shown elsewhere today but this belongs in this thread
    [​IMG]

6. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I'll go back and check... it may be that the T9 is better. I didn't even try it.... results to follow....:D

Ramrodmb and CelloDan like this.
  7. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Definately not this Viper but I have had knives where a T-9 would fit shallow in the hole but very likely strip it out if you attempted to use it. A T-9 won't even go in the pivot screws on either of mine ... tried 6 different bits/drivers.

Pivot is a T-8 handle screws are a T-6.

CelloDan likes this.
  8. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    It’s been carried just about everywhere since I got it: work, home, my brother’s wedding, etc. I just don’t use knives all that often so it’s still mostly untouched but it’s a great carry knife and the quality is impeccable.

[​IMG]

9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I think the Italians use a metric Torx. :D

meako, Murphjd25, untytled and 4 others like this.
  10. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    There is "Torx Plus" in addition to the original Torx shape........ The difference is in the profile of the teeth...... I did buy a set of "Plus" for some particularly ornery screws..... The flanks of the teeth engage the screws better....

11. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    According to Finnish Posti Tracking, they still haven't received the packet- arrived Hki airport on Saturday :rolleyes:

According to me, it arrived on my doormat around 17.15 today :D

As it's perma-dark now pix are really tricky, but all I can say is I'm in no way disappointed, this is a TOP knife. Blonde Mark with grooving, Piebald light/dark Pile grooved :thumbsup:

PROS: Getting the knife at all in this horrible year, superb fit & finish, great W&T with a robust 7 pull, no gaps, all centre, inspiringly sharp-I think you could shave with it but not venturing, in hand feel is superb, lightweight but robust quality feel, Titanium bolster/liners enhance the Ram's Horn ditto the screws, like the tubular backspring, even though it looks very attractive it's clearly a credible worker and will be a very useful EDC.

CONS: Makes most other knives look and feel inferior :D I'm pathetic and crap at tying lanyards, I'd love a dark green chord one or leather but don't know how to get them or tie it...:poop:

My personal thanks to Mike Latham for steering the project to a very satisfying conclusion against considerable odds :thumbsup: Thanks too to the designers and workers at Viper for making a superb Forum Knife and to Adam Rojas for taking care of the shipping aspects back to the EU.

Ram's Horn was certainly the right choice :D The Raccoon turds turned out so well!

12. Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  13. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    ......woo-hoo........!! Finally :cool::thumbsup::D

glennbad, Will Power and joeradza like this.
  14. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Here they are in chronological order, with the 2014 runner-up Eric's Jack included (2005 was before my time here).

[​IMG]

15. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I went back to my cheapie Home Depot set, and I couldn't get the T9 to go in. The T8 still fit snugly, minimal slop. I think @JohnDF is probably right. Metric Torxes.... :D

Moral to this story, don't buy one individual size... get a set. Or two sets. :thumbsup: :cool:

Ramrodmb, JohnDF and CelloDan like this.
  16. Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Many thanks Paul and for your offers of help over this.

Immensely contented and it actually didn't take too long, the 2018 Forum Knife did not appear until mid January as far as I recall..that too was very pleasing, this excels :thumbsup:

Pt-Luso and Railsplitter like this.
  17. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Two sets from different makers should cover it. :cool::thumbsup:

18. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I’m carrying mine a lot more than I thought I would. The rams horn has grown on me, although I don’t even know if anyone makes other covers for these. I kinda like it now. The blade shape, I usually love as a secondary but I find I use that secondary more than a clip so it’s suiting me just fine. The only thing I wouldn’t use it for is food prep and I have a new chefs knife to use anyway lol.

Modoc ED and Will Power like this.
  19. Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    @SVTFreak I was chopping garlic and lemons earlier with it, just sings through everything :D and being stainless/titanium no corrosion worries or flavour imparting ;)

Pt-Luso, SVTFreak and CelloDan like this.
  20. Magizm7

Magizm7 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2017
    Great colour and texture on that one!

Will Power likes this.