Bhairab

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by cmott69, Jan 6, 2009.

1. cmott69

cmott69

Sep 11, 2004
    Any chance of a Bhairab style blade with a regular handle?

2. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Have you though about emailing Yangdu with a custom request?

Such things are possible I believe.:cool:

3. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    HI did make a Falcata a while back -- kind of the "plain" version of the Bhairab -- don't know if they're planning on any more.

Falcata (not my pics):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Shame I missed that. :(

It would make an awesome companion for the Giant Chitlangi Bowie. :D

5. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    Yeah, I got on the forum JUST AFTER they stopped making them.

ArrgggghhhhH!

6. tedwca

tedwca

Dec 10, 2005
    I have one. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    It is in fine company.

Thanks for sharing!:)

8. DocH

DocH

May 6, 2006
    Wow!!!
    What a FINE collection Ted!!
    Simply Superb!!

Doc

9. kronckew

kronckew Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 17, 2003
    interesting how these designs travel, the Bhairab
    [​IMG]
    is apparently based strongly on the kopis used in the Alexander film.
    [​IMG]
    (cheap pakistani SS decorator only version illustrated)

the kopis used in the alexander film was based strongly on the kopis from a well known aussie shop that gets it's blades made in se asia. this is mine in laminated 'damascus' steel with horn handle & bronze guard that i got in the summer of '05 after drooling over it's picture for a year or so while waiting for suwandi to restock.
    [​IMG]

'falcata' is a term coined by a victorian englishman in 1876 to describe a spanish form of the kopis when he was unaware of the term 'kopis' and it has since come in to use by collecters, but is not a historically accurate term. the ancient wielders of them would not recognise the word, but would likely have called them the local equivalent of the latin term 'machaera Hispana' ('spanish sword' in english) used by seneca in his commentaries on julius caesar.

i first saw the 'kopis' on Himalayan Imports website HERE (<-linky) and looked long and hard for one till i found the one above. the HI falcata was a bit overkill, it's huge compared to the Bhairab/Kopis. while i'm saving the kopis for future use on zombies, i still might buy a HI bhairab at some point for more available targets (y'all seem to have reduced the zombie population with all them more readily available HI khuks, so i rarely get to use mine on them anymore. slightly less aggressive plastic milk jugs & melons have to do instead until more human, or ex-human targets come along)

10. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    Ahh yes, I know the shop of which you speak. I wonder what their influences were on the design chosen.

11. bloodwraith

bloodwraith

Apr 10, 2007
    Ted: that top blade on the right in your collection pic, what is that? It almost looks like a khukuri masquerading as a yatagan.

12. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Hello Bloodwraith!
    That is the "Uncle Bill Especiale" Details on this model can be found here:
    http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/unbies.html

13. bloodwraith

bloodwraith

Apr 10, 2007
    Thanks karda, it is certainly an interesting looking blade, sorry to hijack the thread but are their any reviews of this particular blade?

14. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    This page about 1/2 way or so down.
    http://www.himalayan-imports.com/khuk2.html

And there are more in the archives.... but without search function i'm liable to give myself eyesrain again looking for them

15. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    I have one more Bhairab Khukuri for sale in stock. From now shop and Kamis will not make this model. Sorry

16. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Thanks to Yangdu's kindness I hope to be soon receiving the last Bhairab. :)

I do hope in the future that this model will again see itself in production.:confused:

17. Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Jul 30, 2004
    Interesting... my pix, re-upped to PhotoBucket. :cool:

Couple more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike

18. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Once when I saw a blade I liked I would save the photo of it to my hard drive.

Now I try to make sure the file name indicates the original source so I can go to it and then provide direct links to it in my posts. Failing that I credit the photo to its author.

By any chance have you been able compare the Bhairab and the Falcata to each other?

19. Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Jul 30, 2004
    I do have a Bhairab as well. :p Though it gets confusing...

No real comparision. The B I have isn't the Kopis-like blade shown here. It has a much longer, skinnier khuk blade used for ceremonial animal chopping, IIRC. It's called a Bhairab-something. (I used to have all of them memorized... slipping... I know Norm can help here.) :D Possibly Bagh Bhairab?

Anything on the net is fair game; glad the photos can be used to ID an HI or provide more info.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  20. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    I save photos because they have a bad habit of disappearing when I try to find them later.

I'd have given Ad Astra credit. . .except, I found them, uncredited, on a google images search.