BHQ Excl. Lum Tanto?

Petunia D. Feeble

I once waved at Stevie Wonder…
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
They posted this teaser on their IG today of a new exclusive coming soon:

Screenshot_20180108_154708.jpg

The Lum Tanto is the only knife I know of with that screw arrangement.

spyderco-lum-tanto-c46gpgy-back.jpg

Jade g10 in a BHQ exclusive has generally meant M4, but given that the Lum Tanto is a Seki model, perhaps we could see something a bit more exotic? Either way, if that turns out to be a new run of the tanto I'm excited!

Or is there a model I'm missing that has that second screw?

That would be pretty cool, I’d pick one up. I saw the same pic on Instagram as I quickly viewed some pics. At first I wrongly assumed that it was the Dlc Manix 2 in M4 but I think you may be correct Bryce.

The flattening out of the pocket clip is more like the PM2 clip. So it can't be the Lum Tanto. It has to be a model that has the PM2 clip.

ucd3VUH.png

Interesting. Regardless, bring on the tool steel!

I posted this pic of my gray Lum Tanto sprint on IG a couple of hours later.

There are several examples of Spyderco using their updated hourglass clips on newer iterations of classic models.

It is very likely it’s a jade G10 CPM-M4 Lum Tanto exclusive.

8VQAbFc.jpg

An exclusive of a discontinued model? I don't think that happens.

An exclusive of a discontinued model? I don't think that happens.
If you throw enough money on the table I'd bet just about anything can happen.

I noticed the clip difference too, but that wayward scale screw is the real telling attribute. Unless there's a model I'm forgetting or just not familiar with the Lum Tanto is the only one that has those two screws with that particular spacing.

Them changing the clip seems more logical than adding some odd scale screw to a different model.

There was also a thread here not too long ago that Sal participated in where a large number of folks mentioned wanting to see a return of the Tanto. Testing the waters maybe?

Kudos to you for detecting the screw pattern. Impressive! I'll guess we'll find out soon.

A sprint is a new steel and handle material for a past model.

There seems to be a lot of traction here for the Lum Tanto and on the their forum also and Spyderco does seem to take that feedback to the production schedule.

Seems pretty plausible. M4 and natural G10 seems less likely except for it's huge popularity in the BHQ exclusives. Planets could be lining up.

I'll happily buy an m4 version, but would be even happier for a ZDP, super blue, hap40, etc. version.

If this is true, sign me up. I sold a grey sprint a few years ago, and get a little sellers remorse every time I see one.
Assuming it is m4/natural, anyone want to guess on the price?

I can't find any other models with screws on both sides of the clip. Only the Lum Chinese and the Lum Tanto. It's worth noting that they're both liner locks. So if it's not a Lum it might be a liner lock.

If you scroll back and forth the clip on the mystery model is stubby. I think someone already suggested a "lil".

I'm betting if it is a Japanese model it'll be using Hap40/Super Blue/ZDP. That's been the norm for those models.

U.S. made I'd wager it's M4(keeping with Blade HQ's steel of choice for their exclusives).

Is anyone else not seeing the jade in this G10?

Back