BHQ Excl. Lum Tanto?

View attachment 864636

A great and very generous friend from another subforum who also happened to buy a Lum-Tanto saw one of my posts on here about a deeper pocket carry clip and quite unexpectedly reached out to me offering 2 x Casey Lynch pocket clips (both long & shorter ones). Needed say that I was quite gobsmacked! I went with the shorter one and here is the result which has made my not-so-quite-perfect Lum-Tanto even more so of a keeper. Martin, if you happen to see this post please accept my sincere gratitude again :)

Upon initial inspection I was very pleased with my Lum Tanto. I inspected it and into the safe it went.

I then started reading all of the negative reports on the forums and was a little nervous that maybe my eye didn’t catch something the first time.

I took it out today and am very pleased that I couldn’t find any obvious flaws with the knife. What a beautiful collaboration.

Thank you Sal and BladeHQ for listening to us and going outside the box to release such a unique knife that was very hard to manufacture. I only hope that this isn’t the end of the Lum Tanto.

View attachment 865226 View attachment 865231 View attachment 865232 View attachment 865233 View attachment 865234

Not trying to ruffle feathers, but I've never had to deal with an issue like this before.

Let me also clarify a bit. Both companies are aware I took the knife apart and neither one had any concerns about it. I'm not saying I am a professional at disassembling knives, but it's not that difficult.

So what you're saying is, send the knife to Spyderco even after being told there is nothing that can be done to fix the damage? Now I'm stuck with, at most, a credit for only a Spyderco knife versus a refund that I would gladly spend right back at BladeHQ.

I appreciate the feedback.

Yea not cool, when you put a Torx to the knife it’s yours.

I will say if he is clear with BHQ that he has disassembled and reassembled the knife and they accept for a full refund that is on them and he has done nothing wrong.

Yeah come on Spyderco, what is this nonsense with "not messing around and disassembling the knife"? It is a folding pocket knife, not a Saturn rocket! I've never heard of a firearms manufacturer telling customers to not disassemble and clean their guns. You are absolutely allowed to disassemble your firearms for field strip or even detailed strip and then return to manufacturer for warranty issues if there is some fault with the gun. If you don't want people to take apart the knives for cleaning, then go ahead and use rivets instead of screws and don't allow any user service. If the blade is warped and touching the liner and a customer disassemble the knife to make it better and finds it impossible and send it back, Spyderco needs to own up and take the knife back and refund BladeHQ, not just allow BladeHQ to resell the knife to another customer. I'm not on this forum a lot but I find the customer service attitude to be kinda of lacking. Granted I've never had any issues with my knives but Spyderco needs to remember that they are selling a $200 knife to a very niche market and should provide better customer service to those devoted customers. This attitude kind of reminds me of Porsche, which started as a car company that used to offer a lot of advice, product and services targeted to people taking the cars to the race track but now have become a luxury product. I had a porsche cayman s blow an engine because of oil pick up locations that would starve the oiling system under sustained high G turns. Porsche essentially said...tough luck, our cars weren't meant to be tracked even casually, if you had driven the car as it was intended (to work and back?) then you would not have had this issue and refused to help in anyway way and lawyered up right away. I remember when almost every Spyderco was made in the USA and the brand stood behind the products 100%. I guess Spyderco is big enough now to ignore its core customer base.

The response when these issues first cropped up should have been "Send the knives directly to Spyderco, we will fix them no questions asked, we should have done a better job with QC on these knives, we apologize for the inconvenience" I see that Sal walked back his original statements back and I appreciate that. No ill will at all from me at all and in the end, it is just a knife, not the end of the world in any manner.

Yeah come on Spyderco, what is this nonsense with "not messing around and disassembling the knife"? It is a folding pocket knife, not a Saturn rocket! I've never heard of a firearms manufacturer telling customers to not disassemble and clean their guns. You are absolutely allowed to disassemble your firearms for field strip or even detailed strip and then return to manufacturer for warranty issues if there is some fault with the gun. If you don't want people to take apart the knives for cleaning, then go ahead and use rivets instead of screws and don't allow any user service. If the blade is warped and touching the liner and a customer disassemble the knife to make it better and finds it impossible and send it back, Spyderco needs to own up and take the knife back and refund BladeHQ, not just allow BladeHQ to resell the knife to another customer. I'm not on this forum a lot but I find the customer service attitude to be kinda of lacking. Granted I've never had any issues with my knives but Spyderco needs to remember that they are selling a $200 knife to a very niche market and should provide better customer service to those devoted customers. This attitude kind of reminds me of Porsche, which started as a car company that used to offer a lot of advice, product and services targeted to people taking the cars to the race track but now have become a luxury product. I had a porsche cayman s blow an engine because of oil pick up locations that would starve the oiling system under sustained high G turns. Porsche essentially said...tough luck, our cars weren't meant to be tracked even casually, if you had driven the car as it was intended (to work and back?) then you would not have had this issue and refused to help in anyway way and lawyered up right away. I remember when almost every Spyderco was made in the USA and the brand stood behind the products 100%. I guess Spyderco is big enough now to ignore its core customer base.
bad comparison. every gun makers says not to disassemble beyond normal take down. i own about every brand and many makes and that is the one constant.

also the porsche ya bought isnt a track vehicle. if ya bought a gt3 rsr, then it would have been built for the track. :)

i dont know if that is a fair interpretation of spyderco on this knife. Sal said send it back for refund or repair if not happy. thats as good as it can get. couldn't ask for more than that.

I've never heard of a firearms manufacturer telling customers to not disassemble and clean their guns.
You don't turn screws on firearms to clean them. Also the complaint was around disassembling the knife and then returning it, not just disassembling your own knife. They are saying if the knife isn't functional or suitable, return it or send it for warranty service. Don't try to address it yourself, and then when that fails, return it to the vendor. No firearms company is ok with that behavior, and you generally can't return a new firearm anyway, your only choice is to send it for warranty service.
I remember when almost every Spyderco was made in the USA and the brand stood behind the products 100%. I guess Spyderco is big enough now to ignore its core customer base.
I thought they started out with knives made in Japan exclusively/predominantly? Personally it seems to me like they are offering more US-made models rather than fewer.

bad comparison. every gun makers says not to disassemble beyond normal take down. i own about every brand and many makes and that is the one constant.

also the porsche ya bought isnt a track vehicle. if ya bought a gt3 rsr, then it would have been built for the track. :)

i dont know if that is a fair interpretation of spyderco on this knife. Sal said send it back for refund or repair if not happy. thats as good as it can get. couldn't ask for more than that.

Ok GT3 RSR is like a 200K vehicle. You can drive a miata on the track all day without an issue and your telling me a Cayman can't handle a single day? Anyways, taking a knife apart is pretty akin to a field disassembly in my book. Just think about a 1911, you need to pretty much do a detail strip to change out the hammer spring, which is a maintenance item. Sure a field strip on a Glock is probably less intensive than a knife disassembly but its really not too different in my book. But the thing is, a firearms manufacturer wouldn't turn away a gun even if you detail strip it if its a warranty issue. As long as you didn't modify it by stoning the sear or anything, the thing should work as designed. My point is that the attitude from the manufacturer was like "well if an amateur like you took apart the knife and put it back all messed up like a dummy, we aren't going to fix it or warranty it". Like come on, its a couple of screws, it wasn't like he was taking a grinder to the knife to try to sort it out.

Last edited:
Ok GT3 RSR is like a 200K vehicle. You can drive a miata on the track all day without an issue and your telling me a Cayman can't handle a single day? Anyways, taking a knife apart is pretty akin to a field disassembly in my book. Just think about a 1911, you need to pretty much do a detail strip to change out the grip safety flat spring, which is a maintenance item. Sure a field strip on a Glock is probably less intensive than a knife disassembly but its really not too different in my book. But the thing is, a firearms manufacturer wouldn't turn away a gun even if you field strip it if its a warranty issue. As long as you didn't modify it by stoning the sear or anything, the thing should work as designed. My point is that the attitude from the manufacturer was like "well if an amateur like you took apart the knife and put it back all messed up like a dummy, we aren't going to fix it or warranty it". Like come on, its a couple of screws, it wasn't like he was taking a grinder to the knife to try to sort it out.

yeah i was kidding on the gt3 rsr. im aware of their costs and such just joking on a car built for the track vs. a porsche built for regular driving. that "s" isnt truly super.:)

yeah i own a half dozen 1911s and none are supposed to be taken down below the slide stop, slide, barrel bushing, guide rod, recoil spring, barrel removal. i also own 3 glocks and they come down about the same just less parts in tjeor design.......slide, captive recoil spring, barrel. so both in those examples are built that way for maintenance. i also own many other platforms of handguns. which are about the same. its just not a good example of taking apart okay with the gun makers compared to taking screwed folding knives apart. like an apples to oranges comparison

remember makers of knives didnt use screws over pins to make taking it apart easier. they did it for easier assembly and authorized repair work.

no ones saying you cant take it apart but if it gets messed up and sent in to the factory youd have to pay. truth be told i wouldnt want a knife or firearm taken apart by an amateur and put back together and returned to the dealer.....unknown and stocked on the shelf and sold to me me as new. i doubt you would either.

i get your points but you do see the other side of the discussion dont ya, Sir.

yeah i was kidding on the gt3 rsr. im aware of their costs and such just joking on a car built for the track vs. a porsche built for regular driving. that "s" isnt truly super.:)

yeah i own a half dozen 1911s and none are supposed to be taken down below the slide stop, slide, barrel bushing, guide rod, recoil spring, barrel removal. i also own 3 glocks and they come down about the same just less parts in tjeor design.......slide, captive recoil spring, barrel. so both in those examples are built that way for maintenance. i also own many other platforms of handguns. which are about the same. its just not a good example of taking apart okay with the gun makers compared to taking screwed folding knives apart. like an apples to oranges comparison

remember makers of knives didnt use screws over pins to make taking it apart easier. they did it for easier assembly and authorized repair work.

no ones saying you cant take it apart but if it gets messed up and sent in to the factory youd have to pay. truth be told i wouldnt want a knife or firearm taken apart by an amateur and put back together and returned to the dealer.....unknown and stocked on the shelf and sold to me me as new. i doubt you would either.

i get your points but you do see the other side of the discussion dont ya, Sir.
Lots of folks can ruin firearms just by field-stripping them; when then come to a spot where they should trip a sear or detent that they can't see out comes the claw hammer or big flat head for a prying session.

Lots of folks can ruin firearms just by field-stripping them; when then come to a spot where they should trip a sear or detent that they can't see out comes the claw hammer or big flat head for a prying session.
yep. also knives as weve all seen so many times on this forum over the years.

As long as the torx crew doesn’t cause stripping, what is the problem? They weren’t manufactured in one piece! If damage occurred while disassembled, it’s on the customer, no doubt. As I understand, spyderco does not offer service on broken blades(even current models) beyond a regrind. No replacement blade, for any price?(except buying a new knife)Is this true?

Nowhere really. I just got a hint of "o sir please get back into your car, you aren't trained to operate the gas pump, leave it to a professional".

Back