BHQ M4 Shaman!?!

I really don't think Spyderco needs anyone to sell knives. Between SHOT & BLADE and Instagram and similar as well as a catalog, factory forum, this forum, and online and brick and mortar as well as oversea vendors they've probably got all they can handle. People stay up on new stuff and as soon as it hits print or preorder people are posting about it. Marketing by putting it in someone's hands only changes minds that were already unsure, not those that were clamoring over what might be and is now reality.

I really don't think Spyderco needs anyone to sell knives. Between SHOT & BLADE and Instagram and similar as well as a catalog, factory forum, this forum, and online and brick and mortar as well as oversea vendors they've probably got all they can handle. People stay up on new stuff and as soon as it hits print or preorder people are posting about it. Marketing by putting it in someone's hands only changes minds that were already unsure, not those that were clamoring over what might be and is now reality.

I think this sets a really bad precedent. For a number of reasons I'll not delve into here.

I think Spyderco can do what they want.

I think they run a risk of becoming like Buick. Younger folks will pass them over because it was their Dad's knife.

There are already lots of (wrong) people who think the hole makes a bike hump in the blade or it's ugly etc. As noted those folks are wrong.

This is a can't beat them kind of thing to get fresh blood into the body.

The only thing stopping anyone else from doing what Nick S does is their own self doubt. There is still a closing fast window for more folks to get as seat at the table.

I think Spyderco can do what they want.

I think they run a risk of becoming like Buick. Younger folks will pass them over because it was their Dad's knife.

There are already lots of (wrong) people who think the hole makes a bike hump in the blade or it's ugly etc. As noted those folks are wrong.

This is a can't beat them kind of thing to get fresh blood into the body.

The only thing stopping anyone else from doing what Nick S does is their own self doubt. There is still a closing fast window for more folks to get as seat at the table.

Let's be clear here. This was not Spyderco's doing! It was BHQ! I do wonder what Spyderco might think about it?

Let's be clear here. This was not Spyderco's doing! It was BHQ! I do wonder what Spyderco might think about it?
Maybe BHQ didn't get as many clicks on the alert button for that version as they've had in the past.

I think they're pretty used to the M4/Jade runs being gone in the blink of an eye.

Nah. They evolve as much as any other company.

People have been saying that since the first time anybody saw it, and they're still selling like crazy.

Maybe BHQ didn't get as many clicks on the alert button for that version as they've had in the past.

I think they're pretty used to the M4/Jade runs being gone in the blink of an eye.

Not being a PM2, and with the higher price, I don't expect this will sell out nearly as fast. For those that have been waiting for a sprint Shaman in something other than S30V (and M4 is pretty darned great in my experience), this looks like a great option! I've been wanting to dye my Jade/M4 PM2, so as soon as this one comes in, I'll be doing both at the same time.

PS - For those wanting to RIT dye these Jade scales, don't forget to add vinegar to the dye for better coloring.

I think this is a tempest in a teapot. I understand the concern but I think the shill factor is relatively negligible. There's more than enough of it to go around on this and other forums where the knives are adored and discussed...more objectively by some than others.

Frankly, the products are good enough to deserve most all of the accolades they receive...especially when high end steel (and heat treatment) meets high end design.

Now if Nick S. out and out misrepresented or mischaracterized something in return for filthy lucre, that would be a different story and it would rightly be called out for what it was. I have seen no evidence of such.

Just my opinion as a member here...not as a moderator. So feel free to agree or disagree with my opinion as you choose.

I think this is a tempest in a teapot. I understand the concern but I think the shill factor is relatively negligible. There's more than enough of it to go around on this and other forums where the knives are adored and discussed...more objectively by some than others.

Frankly, the products are good enough to deserve most all of the accolades they receive...especially when high end steel and heat treatment, meets high end design.

Now if Nick S. out and out misrepresented or mischaracterized something in return for filthy lucre, that would be a different story and it would rightly be called out for what it was. I have seen no evidence of such.

Just my opinion as a member here...not as a moderator. So feel free to agree or disagree with my opinion as you choose.

I don't really think this is an issue of the guy shilling for BHQ. But maybe I'm wrong there?

I just think it's wrong that they sent this guy one of a limited edition sprint ahead of everyone else. Sets a bad precedent IMO, and I'm a little surprised more folks don't seem to care. It'd be interesting to see what folks reactions would be if this was a low numbers, highly-desired sprint PM2 that sold out in a few minutes. Especially if they missed out. :rolleyes:

I don't really think this is an issue of the guy shilling for BHQ. But maybe I'm wrong there?

I just think it's wrong that they sent this guy one of a limited edition sprint ahead of everyone else. Sets a bad precedent IMO, and I'm a little surprised more folks don't seem to care. It'd be interesting to see what folks reactions would be if this was a low numbers, highly-desired sprint PM2 that sold out in a few minutes. Especially if they missed out. :rolleyes:

Ahhhh, I see your issue now. I didn't really think about it from that aspect.

If I had missed out on the Caly Jr Super Blue or the M4 Para 3 (both of which were limited in number and sold out in minutes) and then found out that some of the few produced pieces had gone to influencers before they were available to the general public, I'd probably be a bit salty.

To be fair... The majority of the time that Mr. Shabazz receives free knives they end up being auctioned off for a good cause (typically domestic violence) or given away to Patreon members.

I'm really surprised by how fast this sold out. Congrats to those who got one. I'm curious to see what these will sell for on the secondary.
I didn't buy one but I'm glad they sold out fast. Increases the odds we'll see more exclusives and sprints.

Everyone was waiting for a different steel with this knife. And they put up M4 first, so. Makes sense to me, tough steel + burly knife + holdouts= sold out

Back