BHQ M4 Shaman!?!

It would be cool to see a Cruwear/Micarta version, but it hasn't been confirmed as a definite.

I think that as the first sprit/exclusive of this model, it is the only guaranteed one to be something other than S30V, so that probably contributed to the quick sell-out. I know it was on my mind.

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I don't have the time or inclination to worry about whether a particular knife will or won't be released. It's not like I don't have a few hundred others close at hand.

Of course we all know that it's the next one that really matters. :cool:

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I don't have the time or inclination to worry about whether a particular knife will or won't be released. It's not like I don't have a few hundred others close at hand.

Agreed. However, I handled the Shaman at the SFO store awhile back, and I really liked it. But the base model just seemed a bit too overpriced to me. Toss in a great steel, and it changed the game for me.

Of course we all know that it's the next one that really matters. :cool:
Indeed my friend, indeed. :D

And it won't need DLC.

No blade steel "needs" DLC as it doesn't provide anything but a black finish. DLC is so thin that, unlike the common misconception, it doesn't provide any additional corrosion resistance. This has been discussed at length on the Spyderco forum with, if memory serves me right, Sal confirming it.

Genuinely amazed by how many of you are surprised that Nick got one early. This is common place in most communities in regards to the larger names on YouTube. Especially anyone who does reviews.

Get with the times old folk. Him getting one likely didn't have any effect on anyone else getting one.

No blade steel "needs" DLC as it doesn't provide anything but a black finish. DLC is so thin that, unlike the common misconception, it doesn't provide any additional corrosion resistance. This has been discussed at length on the Spyderco forum with, if memory serves me right, Sal confirming it.

Yeah, I've read the threads, pro and con, and have come to the conclusion that I like it as a talisman on my Spyderco 52100 and M4 knives whether it's been proven effective or not. What can I tell ya?

That said, other than a couple of M2 blades from twenty years ago that have a coating, none of my carbon or tool steel knives have any sort of coating and they have served me well for many years. And I have many. I'm a big fan of non-stainless blades. (Next we can debate forged vs. stock removal, and cryo. :p)

In and of itself, DLC doesn't provide additional corrosion resistance. But it does hold oil better than a bare steel surface, which does inherently helps with corrosion resistance, as backed by many user's experience.

Genuinely amazed by how many of you are surprised that Nick got one early. This is common place in most communities in regards to the larger names on YouTube. Especially anyone who does reviews.

Get with the times old folk. Him getting one likely didn't have any effect on anyone else getting one.

Really, no need to start insulting people dude. :rolleyes: While this may be common practice in other hobbies, again, it isn't something you see much of in the knife game. Yeah, maybe it's due to, in part, the older average age demographic you see here. And you're clearly one of them young whippersnapperers... :p Get off my lawn with yer social media contraptions! o_O

I'm barely old enough to be your daddy (42), and I am plenty "with" the times. I don't have to like social media just because the younger folks seem to be absolutely, completely, and utterly obsessed with it. ;) BTW, I just took a dump, can I get a "share" and a "like"? :p Want a pic on Insta? :eek:

Yeah, I've read the threads, pro and con, and have come to the conclusion that I like it as a talisman on my Spyderco 52100 and M4 knives whether it's been proven effective or not. What can I tell ya?

That said, other than a couple of M2 blades from twenty years ago that have a coating, none of my carbon or tool steel knives have any sort of coating and they have served me well for many years. And I have many. I'm a big fan of non-stainless blades. (Next we can debate forged vs. stock removal, and cryo. :p)

I just give my bare carbon steel knives a quick forced patina, and never have any rust problems afterwards. I just use them and don't worry about it. Sure, it helps I live in a dry climate, but my pockets definitely can get pretty swampy in the summertime, and I still don't have issues even when I get condensation forming on my knives.

In and of itself, DLC doesn't provide additional corrosion resistance. But it does hold oil better than a bare steel surface, which does inherently helps with corrosion resistance, as backed by many user's experience.

Really, no need to start insulting people dude. :rolleyes: While this may be common practice in other hobbies, again, it isn't something you see much of in the knife game. Yeah, maybe it's due to, in part, the older average age demographic you see here. And you're clearly one of them young whippersnapperers... :p Get off my lawn with yer social media contraptions! o_O

I'm barely old enough to be your daddy (42), and I am plenty "with" the times. I don't have to like social media just because the younger folks seem to be absolutely, completely, and utterly obsessed with it. ;) BTW, I just took a dump, can I get a "share" and a "like"? :p Want a pic on Insta? :eek:
Knife reviewers get review samples all of the time. The only two i watch are Nick and Advanced knife bro, but it holds true for others too.

Someone on the Spyderco home forum noticed that there's one of these on the bay for $390 already! :eek: :thumbsdown: :poop:

Knife reviewers get review samples all of the time. The only two i watch are Nick and Advanced knife bro, but it holds true for others too.

Man, not even a like for my post? Boo! ;) Reviewers may get knives, but not like this where it's well ahead of a limited, public release. We're clearly going to have to agree to disagree here.

Agreed. However, I handled the Shaman at the SFO store awhile back, and I really liked it. But the base model just seemed a bit too overpriced to me. Toss in a great steel, and it changed the game for me.
Indeed my friend, indeed. :D

S30V is a great steel.

S30V is a great steel.

It's decent...

He likely just means for the price. 180 bucks with S30V is definitely a bit up there nowadays with S35VN and M390 all over the place at a cheaper price.

But, this ^^^. S30V isn't horrible, but CPM M4 is much better IMO. The regular Shaman in S30V is too expensive at ~$180 for me. I should have gotten one before the price increased.

He likely just means for the price. 180 bucks with S30V is definitely a bit up there nowadays with S35VN and M390 all over the place at a cheaper price.

I take the design into account as well. I have an Emerson A100 in 154 cm and it was $190 and one of my favorites. The Shaman is a tank of a knife but very sleek and ergonomic, balanced, great blade shape, compression lock, g10 and S30V. The S30V will outperform wat 99.9% of people will ever use it for anyway. I'd honestly pay more than they ask now after carrying it for a while. Its not for everyone and there are other knives if people don't see the value in design and materials I guess.

It's really funny how we had many threads about shamen sprints that all said m4+cf or micarta +cruewear.... Then bladehq go ahead and do there own thing lol. Tells you they don't listen or care about the real fans imho. How many people said they wanted translucent g10... You don't see a majority of the replies asking for it.

But hey what do I know, they are just doing what they do, Clear g10 everything. Face-palm I'll never understand these non knife nut companies.

Reactions: mb>
Non knife nut company? Spyderco??

Every time this is discussed, some people say they like it. Some people dye it. And they wouldn't be making it if people didn't like it. Bladeforums is significant in influence, but still only represents a fraction of the knife market. So they have the sales information and we don't, and if people didn't like it sprints wouldn't sell out in minutes.

FWIW, I like it.

Non knife nut company? Spyderco??

Every time this is discussed, some people say they like it. Some people dye it. And they wouldn't be making it if people didn't like it. Bladeforums is significant in influence, but still only represents a fraction of the knife market. So they have the sales information and we don't, and if people didn't like it sprints wouldn't sell out in minutes.

FWIW, I like it.
bladehq. If you watch there channel you begin to see why I have that opinion.

And there are more forums that said the same not just bf. Selling out in mins means very little.

Back