BHQ Para2 black CPM-M4, jade scales

It baffles me as well. Why is so freaking difficult for Spyderco to put the clip in tip up carry position in the factory? Thought the owner is very willing to listen to customers. Or am I missing sth here?

Because I like them tip down!

Really though, do you have a nice set of torx drivers?

I'm not totally against tip down but my other compression lock Spydercos (Shaman and Yojimbo 2) are tip up so I'd like to keep them all uniform. On an aside, I actually used to hate compression locks and wasn't a PM2 fan, until I won my Shaman in GPKnives' IG contest. Ended up warming up to the design. I'll never say no to a free Spyderco.

My torx bits though, while not the best brand, were in good shape before trying to loosen the screw. The bit is damaged now so I went ahead and ordered some Wiha bits for future use. Hopefully I have better luck with those and I have my fingers crossed that a brand new bit might still bite into the fastener so I don't have to resort to drilling. I may also try using some EZ Grip but that'll likely do a number on the DLC.

It baffles me as well. Why is so freaking difficult for Spyderco to put the clip in tip up carry position in the factory? Thought the owner is very willing to listen to customers. Or am I missing sth here?

At least they drill and tap the other holes
;)

I'm not totally against tip down but my other compression lock Spydercos (Shaman and Yojimbo 2) are tip up so I'd like to keep them all uniform. On an aside, I actually used to hate compression locks and wasn't a PM2 fan, until I won my Shaman in GPKnives IG contest. Ended up warming up to the design. I'll never say no to a free Spyderco.

My torx bits though, while not the best brand, were in good shape before trying to loosen the screw. The bit is damaged now so I went ahead and ordered some Wiha bits for future use. Hopefully I have better luck with those and I have my fingers crossed that a brand new bit might still bite into the fastener so I don't have to resort to drilling. I may also try using some EZ Grip but that'll likely do a number on the DLC.

Yes Wiha or Wera are what I use
52A37F3A-BD83-4AD2-BDA3-4B132ADD5FC2.jpeg
Set on the left is super handy

I think it’s more of a safety issue . If the knife were to partially open in your pocket and when reaching in to grab it could be painful and a liability for Spyderco .
I carry preferred tip up but it’s the only reason why I could think of why spydie would not want them that way out of the box but leaving it a option for you at your own risk .
Again just a uneducated guess .

Do they really use high strength threadlocker on the clip screws? I've owned numerous Spydercos and never had an issue; granted, I can't think of many that ship tip down configured (other than the Millie).

At any rate, guess I'm buying a heat gun. Hopefully I can still salvage the damaged fastener.

Sal knows only knife tourists carry tip-up. Men carry tip-correct, and don't need to be bothered by switching the clip around

Sal knows only knife tourists carry tip-up. Men carry tip-correct, and don't need to be bothered by switching the clip around

:mad:

You best choose your next words carefully. I have a freshly sharpened S90V Yojimbo 2 in my pocket (tip up as it came).

:p

P.S. Apologies to everyone for throwing this thread off track. The new PM2 sprint is a phenomenal knife.

:mad:

You best choose your next words carefully. I have a freshly sharpened S90V Yojimbo 2 in my pocket (tip up as it came).

:p

P.S. Apologies to everyone for throwing this thread off track. The new PM2 sprint is a phenomenal knife.
Couldn’t agree more on all accounts :D

The Top one is the backup I bought when the price dropped to sub 200 and the bottom one is the one I bought the very first minute they cane out at full retail. The finish and the grind is nicer on the original one I purchased so to me the extra 80 was worth it for that plus the pleasure of owning it for 8 note months before the KW giveaway prices!

I used to own the 204P version but I like the heftier CF/Ti better for my purposes. The DLC-M4 PM2 which I have received is not as nice in terms of F&F as compared to those Millies as upon very close further scrutiny, the shoulder on the two sides are not precisely even. All in all, the Millies make the PM2 inferior apart from the M4 steel. I used to own a bunch of sprint and exclusive PM2s which all been sold including the KW satin CF-M4, so having at least one PM2 was on my radar. This one will serve its purpose in the rotation despite its deficiencies as compared to what else is in my roster.

7764814B-93F6-4846-AAA4-D398EF012A44.jpeg
You mean something like this? ;)

b2RW3Y9.jpg

I don’t know if it’s the DLC coating but this is the smoothest out of the box Pm2 I’ve ever owned or handled .

I think it’s more of a safety issue . If the knife were to partially open in your pocket and when reaching in to grab it could be painful and a liability for Spyderco .
I carry preferred tip up but it’s the only reason why I could think of why spydie would not want them that way out of the box but leaving it a option for you at your own risk .
Again just a uneducated guess .

maybe but i doubt it. tip up against edge of pocket makes it just as safe if not safer. that aside cant see how clip position would be any risker than selling knives in general from a safety and liability standpoint. i am no lawyer though....so i may be way off.

maybe but i doubt it. tip up against edge of pocket makes it just as safe if not safer. that aside cant see how clip position would be any risker than selling knives in general from a safety and liability standpoint. i am no lawyer though....so i may be way off.
Yeah I dunno either was just digging deep trying to figure out why . No biggie to me though I just flip the clip or leave it .
Happy camper either way :)

Correct. Tip down is functionally better. I have quite a few versions of the Manix 2 that I carry, tip up because there is no choice, and in comparison with the PM2 that method of carry is less efficient.

Back in the dark ages when knives first came out with pocket clips, they were all tip down. It wasn't until Spyderco started making FRN knives that they had to put the clip on the other end to allow the knives to be manufactured.

I don't know if there is a safety issue one way vs. the other. I've never had a problem with a clipped knife, even the much older designs that had essentially no detent. I think if a person is really worried about safety they should carry their knives in a sheath.

Correct. Tip down is functionally better. I have quite a few versions of the Manix 2 that I carry, tip up because there is no choice, and in comparison with the PM2 that method of carry is less efficient.

Back in the dark ages when knives first came out with pocket clips, they were all tip down. It wasn't until Spyderco started making FRN knives that they had to put the clip on the other end to allow the knives to be manufactured.

I don't know if there is a safety issue one way vs. the other. I've never had a problem with a clipped knife, even the much older designs that had essentially no detent. I think if a person is really worried about safety they should carry their knives in a sheath.
I think functionally better is matter of opinion to the user so I beg to differ .
For me tip up offers much faster deployment for attacking those pesky urban envelopes .

I don’t know if it’s the DLC coating but this is the smoothest out of the box Pm2 I’ve ever owned or handled .

High end suspension components use DLC to decrease friction. I believe DLC blades should have smoother action and in my experience (pm2 dlc vs satin and 0450cf vs 0450), they do.

High end suspension components use DLC to decrease friction. I believe DLC blades should have smoother action and in my experience (pm2 dlc vs satin and 0450cf vs 0450), they do.
I have to agree with you as this dlc is smooth as smooth can be and I’ve had many pm2’s but this is my first dlc and it’s by far the smoothest of them all out of the box .

I turned the pivot screw of mine a tiny bit and added a drop of tuf glide. It is now much smoother and nearly free dropping, but still not as smooth as the DLT red m390 out of box.

Back