Bhutanese Dozum knife in its native environment

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
One of our customers is bhutanese and has ordered a handful of different dozums from us over time. For those that don't know a dozum is a highland single edged dagger not dissimilar to a scottish dirk. They often feature fullering, as well as extremely ornate sheaths and handles to show the owners wealth. Much like a khukuri in Nepal these are part of traditional daily dress though instead of being worn tucked into a sash they're carried in the bottom of the fold in the traditional robes.

He always send us through amazing photos of these knives on hikes and in nature and has been showing his dozums the best that Bhutan has to offer.

full

He recently hiked up to Paro Taktsang temple-one of Himalayan Buddhism’s holiest sites with the second shot showing the cliffs it is built into from across the valley. It dates back to the 8th century, temple complex were built in later centuries over caves where the old master's meditated.

full

full

This final shot is the same knife being used by his family to break up a yak in preparation for drying and storage over the winter months. These aren't spiced or cured but are hung to dry over a traditional oven and dry from the passive heat and smoke there.

full

Can't thank him enough for these beautiful photos- it makes our job so much more satisfying.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash.

Very cool photos and dozum. I saw one of those on your website and was wondering what it was.

I like this blade. Looks very elegant.
Also, what does your Karda and Chakmak look like?
I've seen interesting designs (especially with Chakmaks) from other companies but haven't seen any of yours. Also, when making a kydex sheath, how do you accommodate for the Karda and Chakmak?

Also, what does your Karda and Chakmak look like?
I've seen interesting designs (especially with Chakmaks) from other companies but haven't seen any of yours. Also, when making a kydex sheath, how do you accommodate for the Karda and Chakmak?
Hey there chandra-
We don't offer the Karda and Chakmak as standard because we think they're often kind of thrown in and a bit gimmicky. Their prevalence on historical blades has been somewhat overstated (especially compared to tinder pouches etc) and they're often made as cheaply as possible with limited utility these days. We offer them on full customs and have plans to offer them as optional addons soon once we have our design finalised and with some more miles under the belt in the hands of customers.
For Kydex we heat form a second sheet over the k and c at the tip of the blade. They click in there nicely and the second sheet can either be riveted on permanently or designed to bolt on and off or even be reversible.
Take care,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I have a few questions about kydex. How far apart are the holes on your kydex sheath spaced? I was looking to attach a ceramic rod holder made by Grizzly Outdoors, will it fit? Their's are spaced 1.5 inches apart.
Also, is there a way to make them rattle less? I was thinking if lining the inside of the kydex with thin leather would work.
Of course the blade must be covered with the same leather while moulding the sheath around it.
Perhaps this could avoid the blade getting scratched too.
Kind regards

P. S. I just found a video of leather lined kydex sheath. Would it be possible to get a sheath like this from you. If yes, how much extra would it cost?

Last edited:
Very cool photos and dozum. I saw one of those on your website and was wondering what it was.
Thanks mate! Yep we do get a few enquiries about these through the website, they're certainly interesting blades :)

Hi Andrew,
I have a few questions about kydex. How far apart are the holes on your kydex sheath spaced? I was looking to attach a ceramic rod holder made by Grizzly Outdoors, will it fit? Their's are spaced 1.5 inches apart.
Also, is there a way to make them rattle less? I was thinking if lining the inside of the kydex with thin leather would work.
Of course the blade must be covered with the same leather while moulding the sheath around it.
Perhaps this could avoid the blade getting scratched too.
Kind regards

P. S. I just found a video of leather lined kydex sheath. Would it be possible to get a sheath like this from you. If yes, how much extra would it cost?
Hey there mate,
Our kydex sheaths are spaced the standard 1.5" and should be compatible with the majority of aftermarket parts out there as a result.
I think this kind of leather lining could definitely be possible with our sheaths however we've not done it before. I'd also question the utility of it over just going with a stacked leather sheath and rivetting around the edge with eyelets where you need to attach your ceramic rod. If you'd like to talk about it further feel free to send a email through to customdesign@kailashblades.com as it'll be easier to keep track of there.
Take care,
Andrew

Back