Bicycles!

dug out the old steed for a little prep. Looking forward to riding it when all the home improvements are squared away!
6g2crE3.jpg

my pedals- I like using pins with different profiles depending on which end of the foot they are. Pointy in the front and slightly less aggressive at the back
6rpSXs7.jpg

Last edited:
2D1FF7D5-8890-4D46-A2EF-0C8EA2C3B5B4.jpeg2250C953-9594-4E52-8ADC-8552535970A6.jpeg5FC42D8E-2615-4C1D-9A02-FB702587B51F.jpegAC4C0286-DFD8-46C8-97E7-FF37AA99E08A.jpeg23A727EC-AF38-4A14-BBBA-A1401DD565C7.jpegE2664018-45C6-4DB8-8484-D6E7C249DFA4.jpegD25791A6-F5D5-4B16-8384-8DA63E925134.jpeg

Bikes are incredible. Spent some years as a courier for the courts in DTLA “ Satan’s paperboys”. We were delivering documents nobody wants to receive 8 hours a day. Rode everything from 20’s to 700’s ( heavily preferred 700 x 25 for curb hopping ). Haven’t ridden since 2013 - got hit by a truck and broke a few bones 😂. Planning to build a cross bike / curb hopper / beater soon. Shimano , steel frame with 700 - 32 C tires.. surly , maybe cross check if they still make them. Been years since I’ve checked.

All the bikes pictured were prior work bikes. 15 to 40 miles a work day I’m guessing ( maybe more if busy ). Nothing better than going as fast as you can as long as you can.

Last edited:
Specialized Rock Hopper
1CA9D6B4-D38D-465D-B759-187E8F29892F.jpeg
I installed some E-tracks on my diamond back truck cover. I can easily strap my bike or kayak on top with room underneath for all my gear. I have gone on a couple rides lately. But it is just too cold here in Kentucky. I look forward to spring.

View attachment 1732690View attachment 1732691View attachment 1732692View attachment 1732693View attachment 1732694View attachment 1732695View attachment 1732696

Bikes are incredible. Spent some years as a courier for the courts in DTLA “ Satan’s paperboys”. We were delivering documents nobody wants to receive 8 hours a day. Rode everything from 20’s to 700’s ( heavily preferred 700 x 25 for curb hopping ). Haven’t ridden since 2013 - got hit by a truck and broke a few bones 😂. Planning to build a cross bike / curb hopper / beater soon. Shimano , steel frame with 700 - 32 C tires.. surly , maybe cross check if they still make them. Been years since I’ve checked.

All the bikes pictured were prior work bikes. 15 to 40 miles a work day I’m guessing ( maybe more if busy ). Nothing better than going as fast as you can as long as you can.

What size frame do you ride? I'm guessing smaller than me based on how scrunched the frames look compared to mine, but maybe that was the geometry of those? I've never really gotten into the track bike/fixie thing but love a good single speed cross bike and still have 2.

It’s all about the geometry. On a proper track bike with intended use being Velodrome or Crit race - I go 55 top tube c/c , 54 seat tube c/t ( if I have the luxury to choose of course). On the street I tend to ride a little smaller and compensate with seat tube / stem. Track bikes with true track geometry tend to have HIGH b/b’s and little clearance on front wheel ( viscous toe overlap ). That Colnago is a 54 / 55 - the most terrifying and fun bike I’ve ever ridden ( for a track bike ). Took me 7 years to land that one. Still have it.. full set of campy parts to build it… I just need to accept I’m not 25 anymore 😂 ( one more crash might be too many ).

The pursuit bike pictured was ironically my # 1 street / work bike ( 57 seat tube , 54 top tube - but dual 700c wheels made it comfortable on the street). Was like playing a video game once you got that thing going faster than traffic! Nice and twitchy 👍. Most fun I’ve ever had in my life was hauling ass on two wheels! Period.

I still love my road bikes. Built up an All-city Mr. Pink last winter and love it. It's not the same as the CF road racer but it's pretty close. I don't think I could do the track bike thing, even when I was younger.

bikerector bikerector - the Mr Pink is an excellent do it all road bike. All city makes some great frames.

They really do. Had a space horse back in the day but I ordered too small. Their size gaps were a little big on that one and I was between sizes and should've gone up instead of done. It didn't allow my knees enough space even with a setback seatpost and the saddle all thd way back. Still put a lot of miles on it and with the touring rims it made a really nice beater and commuter. Wish I still had the time to do all-day rides on the regular. Maybe when the kids are a touch older.

View attachment 1732690View attachment 1732691View attachment 1732692View attachment 1732693View attachment 1732694View attachment 1732695View attachment 1732696

I have a cross check frame and fork just sitting around. Should really put that back together- I even have some XTR cantis tucked away somewhere

I have a cross check frame and fork just sitting around. Should really put that back together- I even have some XTR cantis tucked away somewhere

Cross check with XTR build would be REALLY FUN. Springy in all the right ways

I’ve been thinking about an all city nature boy ss cx - like bikerector bikerector mentioned though, sizes are a little weird ( same with the cross check ). Anyone in Knife land have any leads on a old school Soma Double Cross ? “Steel is real” !

What I like:
1. gravel bike
2. probably a stack/reach of <1.5 and a frame size smaller
3. min tire clearance: 700 X 35 mm
4. >1 front gear (ideally 2)
5. >1 back gear (ideally 4)
6. a big gear range
7. quick release axles
8. disc brake mounts
9. internal routing if its done right
10. external routing
11. shifters: 1 bar end, 1 brifter
12. can carry heavy bags
13. brakes: not hydraulic

Last edited:
Im about to purge a large part of my knife "collection" and build another bike. Thank you Carothers Bicycle thread.
you should have a look at the Surly straggler frame,might be something for you. 700 is the way to go. time to get comfy :)

you'd love switzerland. cycling is completely normal here, in fact you're weird if you don't.

you can find old frames and bikes for cheap and people often don't know what treasure they own.

I’ve been thinking about an all city nature boy ss cx - like bikerector bikerector mentioned though, sizes are a little weird ( same with the cross check ). Anyone in Knife land have any leads on a old school Soma Double Cross ? “Steel is real” !

Probably not available anymore and I haven't checked in a while, Vassago had decent pricing on their fisticuff a year or two ago. That's my main gravel bike and it's a smooth ride but not excessively twisty when you get out of the saddle. Tried to race a ti cross bike way back in the day and that thing was a nightmare sprinting on pavement. Not the best design for it and it was too compliant and twisty. Carbon was a revelation after I crashed that bike hard and folded up the frame.

Back