Big bowie fight

Edited from original post.

I love my Ontario Marine Raider but its time to get serious and pull the trigger on one high dollar, high end steel survival Bowie and it must be convex grind. It will be my only big bowie type of knife.

For now my choice is between.......

#1 Bark River V-44
#2 Bark River Shining Mountain Bowie
#3 Blackjack 12-9 is an original choice but it is loosing ground fast to the 2 above.

Which do you recommend of the two and what do you know of that is better. Remember this is a one time high end buy and I will probable get it in June.

Thanks

Last edited:
out of those 2, the 12-9 for sure... it's an old and proven design and a good size for a big bowie

for what it's worth, since you're already in the price range, why not throw a Carother's into the ring? They do an outstanding job with 3v and large blades : )

Fallkniven NL1 Thor.
aQEeVL.jpg

out of those 2, the 12-9 for sure... it's an old and proven design and a good size for a big bowie
I have to agree and its what I am leaning too but man the blade on that Bravo is awesome.

Why would you want leather handles for a survival knife? Micarta is what you want. Or G10. Do you actually plan on carrying both of these blades around or are you just getting them to leave at home in a just in case type of scenario?
Nothing wrong with leather. there is better than leather but leather works too. The 125 will be on my belt and the larger bowie will be in my backpack. This fall i am going to spend a weekend out proving that a large bowie still has a place in life. Iv been to survival school and a large bowie is more all around helpful than a small knife. I will do a video and review of shelter building, fire making and probable butcher a year old steer.

Fallkniven NL1 Thor.
10 years ago I would have considered this but CPM steel have passed VG10 technology by light years. Good suggestion though.

A personal grail of mine. Winkler Knives / Jason Knight / Wilson Combat
Nice no doubt but i dont think its convex edge and for me its too tactical looking. There is nothing wrong with tactical looking but I like more traditional look. Gray zone stuff for me. Im more cowboy than SWAT commando. Good suggestion though, thanks.

There's nothing wrong with Fallkniven's VG-10 laminate. Tougher than straight VG-10, better edge-holding than 420J2. But, I understand your position. I'd be inclined to go with the 12-9, but it's more about aesthetics than actual performance. Since Bark River also makes the blades for Blackjack knives, you can count on the only real differences to be in design.

Personally, I'd prefer A2, but 3V isn't exactly chopped liver! And, done right, leather handles are quite comfortable for long-term use, the SOG S1 bowie is my favorite. Ask some WWII-thru-Vietnam-era vets about their leather handled Randalls, Westerns, etc, and whether they thought of them as 'survival' knives!

After looking around and doing some more study i am finding i really like the Bark River V-44 bowie, way nice.

I prefer the Shining Mountain Bowie, myself. An extra inch and a half of blade can be handy, but no leather handle. There is always the possibility that BR would do a custom leather handled version, tho you would likely have to pay a little more. IF you like that model. Otherwise, the V-44 would be a good choice.

Last edited:
I prefer the Shining Mountain Bowie, myself.

Nice choice, I was just looking at it on YouTube.

New rules. Forget the Bravo 3 and the knives to chose from are now.......

#1-Bark River Shining Mountain Bowie.
#2-Bark River V-44
#3- Blackjack 12-9 but its loosing ground fast to the 2 before this.

I want the Marine Raider style of knife but in modern grinds and steels.

Just to throw this in:
I went vintage. Searched and waited until a nice Solingen fixer upper showed up.
Spent $80 and with a little work am pretty happy.

IMG_0962.jpg

13" OAL 1/4" full tang
I wanted at least a 8" blade and full tang (not hidden or partial) and I wanted stag handles. Also very partial to the design of the clip (not too long or short and curvy).
Checked every day on eBay and Etsy and this popped up.
Restoring the finish brought me a bit closer to the blade; wasn't something I just bought, I had to work for it.
It's also interesting to think that the knife may have a story, even though I don't know what it is.

Edited from original post.

I love my Ontario Marine Raider but its time to get serious and pull the trigger on one high dollar, high end steel survival Bowie and it must be convex grind. It will be my only big bowie type of knife.

For now my choice is between.......

#1 Bark River V-44
#2 Bark River Shining Mountain Bowie
#3 Blackjack 12-9 is an original choice but it is loosing ground fast to the 2 above.

Which do you recommend of the two and what do you know of that is better. Remember this is a one time high end buy and I will probable get it in June.

Thanks

That's what we all said :D

Another option. Western W49 fixer upper, add the Bagwell modifications and do the convex edge yourself.
Before
w49.jpg

After
W49Headhunter-1403.jpg

I mean if it got the Bagwell blessing.... good steel, good shape, plenty of material to work with....
The only thing one really needs to do it bob the guard and it's a user, do the rest as time allows.
Besides, kit blades, rescues and mods like this are good for knowledge and skill building.
Much more rewarding than just another purchase. See the first line in this post :)

Back