Big bowie fight

A2 is an air-hardening, chrome-moly carbon tool steel alloy. It will rust and discolor if not cared for, like any good steel. It has good abrasion and wear resistance, and is considered to be a fairly tough steel for knives in field use.

A2 tool steel has worked very well on my larger BRK's and I don't think CPM 3V has ever been used on large BRK stacked leather handles.
VG-10 has showed longer edgeholding and I think this is because of more abrasion resistance.
With the convex edges set for big knife duty, both steels do the job perfectly.
One is stainless and the other is not, but with proper care both stays shiny.

So, buy the knife for the design You like and intended use, for Your collection or for the Outdoors.
If You actually plan to carry a V-44, are You aware of how 28 oz of steel will feel on Your belt?
Personally my limit is around 14 oz and 8" in bladelenght. My large Bowie's are for the collection and sometimes in the garden, for the fun of it.

Regards
Mikael:)

Edit to add: The only BRK made larger knife in 3V and stacked leather I know of is the Black Jack 1-7 3V.

Last edited:
I like the 3 that the OP suggested as well as several others mentioned like the Falkniven, Busse and even the CS Trailmaster (which is hard to destroy, trust me I have tried). I will suggest a couple of others. Model 2 Walter Brend being at the top of the list.

i-BxTcpxw-L.jpg

If you want to go Rambo style a Timberline or Sanders equivalent is hard to beat.
i-5pcvTbs-XL.jpg

Is A2 a Powder steel?
No i was referring to the CPM v3.

I do believe that they can make CPM A2 if they wanted to. Simply make the A2 and spray it out.

I use to work in the powder room for Kennametal. We made the powder carbide in a mixer then blew it thru a nozel in a cooling tower. Then later i worked in the press area where we took the powder and ran it thru a 50 ton press and formed it into mining compacts (actually only 6 to 11 tons was used). Then they put them in pressure ovens under extreme heat and 800 pounds psi of pressure which made the final product which was mining bits which drilled mines.

I believe any steel can be made CPM but not tottaly for sure on that.

As for VG 10 laminate, I recall they tend to split under hard use. I remember how cool vg 10 laminate use to be but it's no longer top of the line technology.

Some great suggestions here and some cool bowie pictures but I am afraid I am down to two choices. The Bark River Shining Mountain if i can find one with the handle I want or the BlackJack 129. I hear the v44 is two months down the line before any are available and I am buying this on this Thursday.

No i was referring to the CPM v3.

Fine. But all 3 knives you listed in your initial post were A2 making your comment about CPM/VG10 rather puzzling.
Anyway, get the knife you like, seems to me you pretty much have made up your mind. Personally I find that with knives,
especially large ones, you have to own it and carry it a bit to really know if you made the right choice.

As for VG 10 laminate, I recall they tend to split under hard use. I remember how cool vg 10 laminate use to be but it's no longer top of the line technology.
The blade was forced through sheatmetal with a sledgehammer. It split the laminate but didn't break the blade if I recall correctly.
I wouldn't mind if BRK made a hidden tang in 3V, but both A2 and VG-10 lam. are strong enough for large blades.
For field dressing a Studebaker, there are better steels nowadays.

Regards
Mikael

"Top of the Line" technology is out of place for a large Bowie based on it's purpose and use. And for a manufacturer, cost as well since it does not add to improve the knife for said purpose and use.

Here is the conclusion to this thread.

Today I ordered the Blackjack129 in A2.

Tomorrow I will order the Bark River Shining Mountain Bowie in 3V.

In 7 weeks I will order the v-44.

I am getting all three, my decision is final.

Thanks for suggestions. Lots of reviews to come if i ever get time.

Here is the conclusion to this thread.

Today I ordered the Blackjack129 in A2.

Tomorrow I will order the Bark River Shining Mountain Bowie in 3V.

In 7 weeks I will order the v-44.

I am getting all three, my decision is final.

Thanks for suggestions. Lots of reviews to come if i ever get time.

That's awesome!

I have to ask: Where did You get that the SMB is 3V?
As far as I know the new batch are all in A2.

My favorite BRK Bowie:
The 2016 7" LE Custom Bowie
FB_IMG_1520204918665.jpg
Small for a Bowie but enough for my needs and can be beltcarried in reasonable comfort.

Regards
Mikael

Back