Big bowie fight

If I could hold and look at that in person before buying it I would possably be all over that.

That's awesome!

I have to ask: Where did You get that the SMB is 3V?
As far as I know the new batch are all in A2.
I edited my original post and I think i was talking about the bravo 3 being in 3v.
Very nice knife.

THAT'S how you do THAT, guys!! Get all 3, no apologies asked, or needed. Well done, sir!
In my little world inside the cab of my truck (truck driver) I am a rock star and I can do things like that. Thank you.

I just ordered the Bark River Shining Mountain Bowie with stacked leather handles. Paid 42 bucks for over night shipping so it should be home before I am.

I now have the BlackJack 129 and the Bark River Shining Mountain Bowie. Life is good.

Congrats!
I followed the release of the SMB and what a feeding frenzy!
I wasn't going to get one but wanted to see the various handleoptions.
Especially the Elk handles and there were 7 of them
When I went back for a second look, they were all gone.

Regards
Mikael

Nice! I hope it works well for you. It's a big piece of steel, and these guys are pretty good at the heat treat game. Fundamentally, it's no different from your SP-10. Or the V-44, or any other large clip point fighting/survival/utility knife. They're all lumped into the generic 'bowie' category. It's so ubiquitous, at this point, I don't even feel it worth capitalizing, unless a maker is trying specifically to tie Col. Bowie to a particular model, or style. In my opinion, the Bagwell style is closer to my personal idea of what an original style Bowie would/should look like. I'm one who thinks the Edwin Forrest knife is likely the Sandbar Fight knife. I like the Samuel Bell style, especially the take-down models, but I think the Searles style is most probably the proper evolution of Rezin Bowie's ideas, which were inextricably linked to his brothers use of said designs.

And I am kicking myself for not getting a Cold Steel Natchez Bowie when they were available. THAT'S a knife!!

As long as you remember it's not a survival knife, it's a fighting knife. It's for removing limbs from targets that will really miss those parts when they're gone, not for building a lean-to shelter.

Congrats!
I followed the release of the SMB and what a feeding frenzy!
I wasn't going to get one but wanted to see the various handleoptions.
Especially the Elk handles and there were 7 of them
When I went back for a second look, they were all gone.

Regards
Mikael
They do sell like Hotcakes.
I knew they were being listed at 4et 3central so i had dlt and knivesshipfree sites on my screen and the second they appeared I look at prices of both (which both places were same price) and then i bought one and I bet it was not even 3:01 when i clicked buy it. Lots of money spent. Last time this will happen.

And I am kicking myself for not getting a Cold Steel Natchez Bowie when they were available. THAT'S a knife!!

As long as you remember it's not a survival knife, it's a fighting knife. It's for removing limbs from targets that will really miss those parts when they're gone, not for building a lean-to shelter.
I can build a lean to from human limbs.

Thanks for sticking with this thread guys. Now i need to learn of video equipment and editing programs so i can do cool reviews like Giddians Tactical and Prepared Mind 101. 600 bucks of blades in 2 days, im going to get my money's worth.

pVgkxoN.jpg

Nice! Good price too.

What knife is that?
It's a chopper bowie by Big Chris that I picked up off the exchange recently. Most of my bowies are fighters but this one is definitely geared toward camp knife tasks and I was pleased with how it dismantled some large tree branches and stuff over the weekend.

That's awesome!

I have to ask: Where did You get that the SMB is 3V?
As far as I know the new batch are all in A2.

My favorite BRK Bowie:
The 2016 7" LE Custom Bowie
View attachment 1335247
Small for a Bowie but enough for my needs and can be beltcarried in reasonable comfort.

Regards
Mikael
Oh my gawd, that is beautiful! I have quite a few BRK knives, the Shining MB being one of them. I need to find one of these LE limited!

I enjoy bowie knives and probably my favorite blade shape big or small. Look for a Recon Scout, or the TrailMaster, I've a couple of each and without question exceptionally well made knives. Look at the Von Tempsky too. Had one for a few yrs and used a ton but was taken from in front of our 5th wheel at the marina we stay at in the spring-fall fishing seasons. Two others I have are from a fella in Pakistan that used to post on here. They are copies of the Jessie Clifft bowie similar to what was actually used in the Sand bar fight by Bowie or at least that is what history says of the design. Exceptional knives in there own right with excellent execution. Another you don't see many of is the Gryphon M35. I have one of those and that is as nice imho as the TM's I have but in AUS8a steel. Not as thick of spine but extremely fast and razor sharp with an excellent sheath. Another I have is unmarked and the knife again is superbly forged. But left pretty rough by the maker who is unknown as the knife is not stamped. The thing would probably survive a nuclear explosion it is that heavy duty. Razor sharp too. Came with a really nice kydex sheath but I bought an after market leather sheath off the bay to keep it in as it is a bit more classic. stay safe

PS I have a couple more but would have to look in my gun case and closet for them. Don't over look Jessie Hemphill's mid tek bowies either. Some vids on the u-tube of them and I am going to grab one eventually.

I'm a big fan of the Cold Steel Drop-Forged Survivalist. 8" blade, styled after the Recon Scout. Integral construction, blade, guard, and handle are one solid piece of nicely heat-treated 52100 carbon steel. The plastic handle inserts are nicely grippy. Not a fan of the plastic sheath, kinda noisy on withdrawing or inserting the blade, but it's serviceable.

It's not really a very attractive knife, especially compared to some others in this thread, but it's also quite inexpensive(mine was $70) compared to those same knives, which has a beauty all its own.

Last edited:
I've been slowly selling off my big fixed blades, and have owned a lot of the stuff mentioned in this thread so far. I think the Blackjack is a better made knife than the Bark River. That being said I carried a Bark River all over the sandbox for a year back when.

Someone mentioned Phillip Patton and I think that's a really good idea. Of course, he's delivering another of his creations for me as soon as he finishes a sheath, so I'm biased. Here's a good example of one of his that fits very well with what I think you're looking for:
we05bAg.jpg

The CS Trailmaster is a good knife, but rubber handles tend to get slippery when wet. So do most micartas. Leather is a good choice, and the odds are you'll never wear them out. With proper care they can outlast most humans. I have knives with leather that are over 60 years old and as good as new.

Me too! I'm still looking for a reasonable deal on one... you snooze, you lose.

People thought that I was crazy when I purchased multiple Natchez Bowies. Everytime Cold Steel had a sale or changed the steel, I would get another! You never know when a knife will go out of production or be discontinued or run into manufacturing difficulties, the A2 fiasco being an example. I liked the knife so much that I never wanted to be without one. Nobody else is or was manufacturing a knife quite like the Natchez. It really is an incredible knife.

I also don't think that anybody could have ever imagined that Cold Steel would be sold and run by anybody but Lynn Thompson! And even though these knives have been promised in 3V steel, actual delivery remains to be seen. And despite reassurances, the future direction of Cold Steel and Thompsonesque knives like the Natchez, remains uncertain.

As for VG 10 laminate, I recall they tend to split under hard use. I remember how cool vg 10 laminate use to be but it's no longer top of the line technology.

The things you would have to do to get laminated vg10 in a large knife like the Thor to split under hard use are things no knife should be used for. Like hammering them through concrete, steel etc wirh a steel sledge hammer.

Doing the same with A2, will yield smaller pieces of your once solid A2 blade.

I had a vg1 laminated San Mai III Trailmaster. I did not like the handle on mine. The krayton softened up after a few years of use and became too soft to keep the edge aligned in hard chopping.
9SrnVbO.jpg

OoM4b3N.jpg

ohdUxK0.jpg

The Trailmaster, after some outdoor use for a few years. This hard shipping tube cut was possible wirh the knife when the rubber was firmer. But as it aged and got softer, it would twist too much in the cut, no matter how hard you gripped it.

Same cut with a different knife

kdudELx.jpg

I ended up selling I, rather than rehandling it. Now, I wish I had kept it and put a micsrta handle on it, or a stag handle.

A2 is a fine steel. I also enjoy 52100 and CPM3V (And Infi, but they don't tend to have traditional patterns at all).

Have you considered Custom? Phillip Patton was my thought. Can't recommend his work enough.

Edit: I see you have already purchased a couple.

Look forward to reviews.

Back