Big Chris Knives in the woods

I'll start this thread and update it over the next couple of days. Basically I want to let everyone my little experience with some Big Chris Knives this weekend. Hopefully big Chris can clear up any questions on the knives themselves.
Some background: I wanted to get a bunch of action shots but we had so much fun I didn't want to ruin it with a bunch of pics and nonsense. I'm not a bushman or a woodsman. I'm a cop, powerlifter and wrestling coach. I have real basic woods skills. I'm no punk in the primitive but I'm not going to be on "Alone" anytime soon.

First up id like to show you this guy. I call it a ness muk but I think the original sales thread called it a skinner. The guy I bought it from said it was made of 3V but I think we figured it was 440c. I'm not sure of the stats but I think it's just around 9" with about a 4.25" blade. It's the most comfy handle I have and it's a great EDC size for a big guy. It's become my favorite knife.

I've only heard bad things about 440c but let me tell you something different. This guy is a champion. When I got it I started carving a kucksa cup out of a block of wood (I'll show that when it's done). We took it out in the woods and began feather sticking. Next up was carving the boy some spears to try to catch some fish (not quite). The boy loves then batoning so we processed some wood. Again, for its size it sliced some wrist sized pieces. Awesome knife and it was still sharp.

After we got home I began work on the cup and decided to touch it up on the sharpmaker. Now this is my only 440c knife so I was a little unsure. 30 degree brown and the fine ceramic rods and about 3.5 minutes later this joker is crazy sharp again. So, there, super easy to maintain.

I really hope Chris makes some more of these, this knife is a champ in a group full of high end knives in my kit.

I will update this thread with some more info on other big Chris knives I have. They won't be "review quality" but hopefully someone will get something out of this thread.

Some red Rover gorge pics:

Last edited:
Great pictures.
Look forward to reading your thoughts on several of the knives.

I have to agree with you on 440C, it is a good steel that is often overlooked.

The Gorge is a beautiful park for sure. I've camped and hiked there dozens of times in my life. It's one of the best perks of living in kentucky.

Next up is this guy.

Basically, I got this one second hand at a discount. I almost didn't get it because the color of the handles and red liners. I really don't like them. But, I got it from a good BF member and I didn't touch it until we went out in the woods.

It's the practical tactical and it is amazing. Around a 5" blade of 3V steel. Perfect egos and perfect size. It's about the biggest knife I'd use as a primary when camping. It made feather sticks. Processed small firewood and I have to give it a lot of props. As much as I hate the colors, this is going to be my main hard use camping knife. I can't wait to use it again. Super sharp, it bites into wood but also slices it thin. Again, I hope Chris makes more of these because I'm going to abuse this one.

It's a total bad ass

Last but definitely not least is the SAR/Camp knife. This one is a beauty. We'll over 5" of 3V steel and great ergos. The handles allowed for some serious chopping. The knife bit into the wood and did a great job with some brutal chops (much better than the bk2). I think the reason is the handle really allows one to two finger grip the end. We did some batoning with this one as well and it's fantastic.

I think this knife will really shine this winter. The handles are larger than the rest so I think with gloves it will be perfect. I think I used this one the least but that's just because most of my tasks were small. I think this one will be great for bigger tasks such as shelter building and clearing wood. I look forward to getting to know the SAR very well this winter. Plus it's deads sexy. Who doesn't like a big green knife??

Other knives I took out were a Becker bk2 (Gotta love them) and a Jarrett Fleming Talus (Wharncliffe). The becker is a monster for batoning but not all that great overall. Honestly, the three big Chris knives are all different but I would recommend any of the three for any general camp / bushcraft tasks.

I am going somewhere again this weekend simply because the weather is perfect. I think I'll put them through some work. Mostly fire building.

Glad that you are enjoying them and that they are performing for you.

I have an SAR/Camp in 10V that has been my main woods and camp knife for over a year now.

Taking three of the big Chris knives down to Tar Hallow State Park in Ohio in the morning. I'll try to get better pics.

I changed the title because I plan on updating this one quite a bit. I promised better knife pics but that'll never happen. It's hard to take pics and use knives. This trip was to tar hollow in Ross/hocking county, Ohio. Nice little state park. I've no idea what kind of mushrooms these are. Maybe someone could tell me.

Last edited:
Got a new titanium wood burning stove and I wanted to play with it. I used the big Chris SAR/camp to baton some big wood into little wood and then used the champ (nessmuck) to make feather sticks and process small wood. I used the SAR/camp for the little stuff too - I wanted to mention that because there is nothing that joker can't do. It's an amazing knife. Those were the only two knives I used and honestly the only two I'll probably ever need.

Last edited:
Coffee and cigar after a hike and a rough week is a really nice treat. I'm thinking I'm going to make these trips a habit.

I changed the title because I plan on updating this one quite a bit. I promised better knife pics but that'll never happen. It's hard to take pics and use knives. This trip was to tar hollow in Ross/hocking county, Ohio. Nice little state park. I've no idea what kind of mushrooms these are. Maybe someone could tell me.

The orange mushroom looks like Chicken of the Woods. I only know this because Chris forced me to watch some reality show about mushroom hunters.

Can you really use that stove on a bench without burning the surface?
Nice pictures, looks like fun. :)

Glad that you are enjoying them and that they are performing for you.

I have an SAR/Camp in 10V that has been my main woods and camp knife for over a year now.

A camp knife in 10v? That is a very unique choice of steel for a rather large kind of knife. I would imagine it is ground thin so it isn't a nightmare to sharpen. Also, beautiful pictures, Big Chris knives are of super high quality in my book, you didn't go wrong.

No woods time this weekend. It's too darn hot. Next weekend I should be out there on Sunday. I did, however, put that 440c muck on the wicked edge at 30 degrees inclusive. Still loving that guy.

Really wanted to get out in the woods today but I could only do two out of three: gym time, woods time, watch the bengals. Woods time lost out but I did get some backyard bushcraft instead.

Really trying to get the hang of a wood burning stove vs the easy fuel canisters

Back