Big Chris traditionals

No matter how many knives I buy I keep reaching for the big Chris nessmuk knife. It's not super steel and it's not shady tree handles. It's just a great knife in a traditional pattern and I use it more than any other knife.

Anyone else have any big Chris knives in a traditional style. I'd really like to see some one those Pukkoo knives in action!!!

Nice! I think there is a good reason why some designs become "traditional" - they just work. And Chris knows how to make blades that just work. Excellent interpretation and first rate execution in quality materials. That's a hard combination to beat.

I use one of my BC knives EVERY day.
I am luckey enough to have more than one.

Chris makes the most functional knives I've ever owned. No matter what steel he uses, it will perform to it's fullest potential.

Chris if you are reading this: do you still plan to make more of muks?

I do plan to make more and I have a bit of a plan/idea.

I have a few things that I need to get out of the shop before I can commit to anything but this is what I have been thinking.
I have been tossing the idea of a group buy.
I would limit it to 10 pieces of the same pattern. All would be slightly different as I would still do all work by hand.
I think we have a pretty good idea on the pattern that you guys would like to have made.
Next you folks that are interested would need to pick a steel and a thickness.
Depending on the thickness grind options could be sabre, high flat, or full flat.
Handle options would then need to be chosen.
I would be willing to make kydex sheaths for each knife.

What do you all think about this process.
Any questions?
Any comments?

I'm interested, depending on the pattern. Sounds like a great opportunity.
I prefer something with a strong but pointy tip in a tough steel that still holds an edge well (4V? Cruwear or PD1?) Chris has a few designs that match this concept (pocket fighter, scrapper, or some variant). Of course, that may have nothing to do with what anyone else wants :)

Last edited:
I may be interested as well, depending on steel and blade length. Ideally for me the blade would be 4.5" long, 5/32" thick, made of 3V or 4V and flat ground.

Last edited:
.105" M4 steel
Scrapper or Wolverine
Full or partial tang are both fine for me

Maybe Dogrunner would get in on this too...

I'm liking the idea, are you going to pick out a few patterns and let us choose???

Wolverine, scrapper, pocket fighter and chef knife aren't quite in keeping with the spirit of this threaD. When i think of traditional I'm thinking Nessmuck, Pukkoo, Kephart, Buck.

Oh man, just think, a largish Nessmuck in thin V10?

I would most definitely want to be in on this Chris. If you do this limited traditional run do you plan on numbering these knives? I think it would be cool to maybe offer a couple of different handle materials for people to choose from. I would love to have another traditional knife from you.

Great news about the great idea, Chris!

I am sure that there are many knowledgeable guys here who could correctly pick a steel and blade specs based on their requirements but I am definitely not one of them.

So my suggestion. Some time ago you also liked the idea of sharing your experiences on particular steels for particular uses. I guess it makes even more sense when a general design/geometry has been fixed. For example, if we talk nessmuk, and the priority is a sheer slicing performance in the kitchen, what would be your suggestion about steel and thickness? And for the particular steel/thickness combo, would, say, full flat grind be too weak or not. Things like that.

And another point. Do you think you could offer some customization towards different hand sizes, if it makes any sense at all?

I'd be in. Start that thread as soon as 10 people respond with interest and let's work it out.

Aogami Blue #2... This stuff can take an edge as fine as M4 in 1/4 the time and effort. Good stuff, I'm glad I tried it. Micarta, it just works.

I think the first pattern that I have had interest in was a Nessmuk styled pattern.
Possibly something similar to the one in the OP. I have also had several emails about a possible Canadian Belt Knife interpretation.

I am not against doing a run of Scrappers or Wolverines either, but they really do not fit with the Traditional theme.

I will start a new thread to begin the discussion of patterns and try to get a feel for the number of interested parties. Mrs. Big Chris will sticky it for us.

Luke, what is the overall length of your knife and the blade length of you don't mind me asking.

Back