Big Game bullets

I really really like this rifle.
pictureizhmp221.gif

I think every man should have one of these stored away somewhere.

Then if you want this rifle to do any of the tasks known in a Double, pick 45/70

munk

I'll pass. I can shoot skeet all day with 12ga., but some of those monster cal.s should be mounted on the hard points of a vehicle or something.

:D:D:D

Keith

Danny, 250 grain loads will indeed shoot at a higher velocity ~ BUT they will lose that velocity quicker and penetrate much less than a heavier bullet. A 250 grain bullet has a very low sectional density and would be less than ideal for anything bigger than a medium size deer in this knuckleheads opinion. BTW, that is a pretty neat gun. Have you checked out prices yet?

400 grain bullet at 2018 FPS= 3616 ft/lbs energy
400 grain bullet at 2429 FPS= 5239 ft/lbs energy
500 grain bullet at 2120 FPS= 4989 ft/lbs energy
270 grain bullet at 2717 FPS= 4425 ft/lbs energy
196 grain bullet at 2700 FPS= 3172 ft/lbs energy

One of the best loads I worked up in my Ruger #1 .45-70 is a 400-grain Barnes jacketed flat nose at 1894 FPS for 3185 ft/lbs of energy. In that light singleshot rifle it's as much of a thumper as I want to deal with.
I did try several other loads that weren't any fun to shoot, but would be effective on the bigger critters. The CorBon 350-grain jacketed bullet at 1969 FPS runs 3012 FPS, their 460-grain hardcast lead bullet at 1692 FPS produces 2923 ft/lbs. A couple of the 300-grain handloads were actually the biggest kickers.
You can load the .45-70 way up beyond Trapdoor levels, but it's still not quite a .458 Mag.
You wouldn't want to load the Baikal double as heavy as you could in a Ruger or Marlin, it's not as strong, but it would do a job with reasonable loads.
Denis

Danny- you won't be able to approach these ballistics shown for the Ruger number 1- it is in a class by itself, unless you include the siamese mauser.

I dont think a Russian double could take the same loads as a Marlin lever, but probably more than a Trapdoor.

I've known some folks who used to load the heck out of the handirifle in 45/70
thats a break open.

munk

well, if you were to take this russian double to hunt for cape buffalo/lion/kudu, and you were going to use factory ammo, what would you use?

Garretts,
A gentleman did just that, check out that webb page I listed. :)

guys
I dont reload. I have bad luck with that kind of thing.
Give me your best pick of factory ammo for Big game ok?

Danny,
You can order Buffalo Bore, Garret, or Winchester 300 grain partition loads for moose, elk or bear. It is expensive, but good loads for hunting. I have used Remingtons for deer, wild pigs and target shooting, less than $20.00 a box. They are very mild. All of these are "store bought" bullets.

Can you open the webb page about Garrett loads? ;)

Those smaller manufacturers would probably give you a recomendation of power level- they offer a couple three different clicks up and down.

Your problem is that these loadings will probably not be in Africa.

Federal was one of the first to offer a 300gr at 1800fps. One of the others does too, but whether it is Rem or Win or PMC I dont know.

There isn't anything that a 300 gr .458 projectile at 1800+ fps can't do in the lower 48. I'd like more for Grizzly, but I'm paranoid.

IT doesn't make sense to get the 308 or 3006 chambering. You can get a semi auto in these.

Someone needs to make a affordable strong double.
You might consider a Ruger number 1. One shot, but, in say, 416 Rigby, a 'best' effort.

munk

I had a Ruger #1 in 458 win mag.
I just want a double.

So what do you think, 350 grain factory or 400?
I wonder if therei s a 380 grain, 2200 fps load out there?

I wonder if Hornady loads its excellent 350 in a light mag loading?

The common choices are always going to be a 400 dirt slow or a 300 at 1600 to 1800 fps.

How did you like your 458? I've heard unpleasent stories.

munk

I never fired it!

I just admired it.
People would stick their fingers in the muzzle and say "dear god."
It was great.

Back