Big Game bullets

Cliff, the Russian is an uncommon, new release gun. There is no way Garrett could have an opinion without seeing one or at least hearing from the manufacturer. I rather doubt it's going to be rated than for more than standard commerical pressure- below that of the Marlin 1895, which I also own.

Please let us know what response you get from EAA.

I wouldn't mind having a double with the strength of the Marlin.

munk

Whoah! I'm reading along, and suddenly my heart skips at beat at the end. Cliff, if you have what I think you have- a magazine Mauser chambered in .45-70- as soon as I've got the funds (soon, since I'm working full time again) I would gladly replace her with a Baikal for you. :)

Danny, I have a lot of respect for Randy Garrett, and in my experience, he is very responsive to answering questions from the public.

Munk: from what I've read, Bell eventually went with more gun.

By Bells own admission the first full charge Bell faced from an elephant nearly killed him. His tracker was in fact killed in that incident. And when he faced his second charge in thick cover he did so with a .416 Rigby in his hands. While Bell perfered the 7mm he always carried a .450/400 and later the .416 while following up in thick cover.

This is not ment to trash anyone or to cast dispersions. Just a little known yet true fact about Bell and common sense while hunting dangerous game.
(from user H&Hhunter)

It makes sense Bell had back up available, and that in heavy cover he used a larger calibre. It has been many years since I read about Bell. However, of the many hundreds if not thousands of Elephants he killed, the vast vast majority were with the smaller calibres.

I understand today the conversion of the Siamese mauser to 45/70 is not done due to cost. They are very desirable. A bolt you could load like a Ruger number 1.

munk

This one looks kinda neat. I haven't fired one or spoken to anyone who has, though. They're built on an (Ishapore, I believe) Enfield action with a new barrel and have express type sights. I'll ask my gunsmith about them.

gibbs_45-70_enfield.jpg

Here's a link to the web page. Scroll to the bottom for the .45-70: http://www.gibbsrifle.com/sport.html

and another to the faq. Maybe not an Ishapore receiver...... the faq mentions not to exceed .303 pressures, where the Ishapore was a .308 / 7.62x51 mm.

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/4570faq.html

Cliff, a Mauser bolt in 45/70 is a very desirable item. But perhaps selling it could allow you to step up to a Sharps single shot or something. I'd think that a better system of firearm for the black powder and length limits you'd mentioned.

munk

VML,
I've got one of the Gibbs Enfields.
It's reasonably accurate at 100 yards, relatively light, nothing fancy about it, rated for commercial 300-grain Remington-level loads, and they don't have any more of them.
Sporterized military wood with new barrel and new magazine.
Good kick around gun for the pickup truck, or a close-range hunting rifle.
I like this one.
Denis

Back