Big Knives and their Sheaths

leatherman

leathermoderator
Sorry I haven't been around much lately, got two special projects going at once and its taking all my free time. I want to go ahead and set this thread up and invite all who have those big honking choppers and the rigs you carry them in. Weather it be my work or someone else, I get a lot of inspiration from my fellow leather benders and always welcome their work in my house. :D :D :D

Please show your big knives and sheaths!

I will edit this post with pics as soon as I can sit with the computer for longer than a few minutes. :eek:

Pin Lock sheath for a custom Busse:
hogwash2.jpg

Gadius, simple sheath
gladius2.jpg

Rattler sheath for a Battle Mistress, lotsa snake in this one:
FBMrattler-1.jpg

Speaking of lots, here's a LOT of emu foot skin, it took the whole thing
emubushy.jpg

Yup, thats RED!
ak2-1.jpg

ak3-1.jpg

More rattle snake, this time on a Basic 10
basic10rattler-1.jpg

More when I get the time to sit with it again, sorry it took so long, please do include your rigs as well!

Last edited:
Here are a couple I recently made:

Scrap Yard SYKCO 711
sykco+711+Edge.jpg

SYKCO+711+Top.jpg

SYKCO+711+Back.jpg

Becker BK-2
Becker+BK-2+Front.jpg

Becker+BK-2+Edge.jpg

Becker+BK-2+Back.jpg

Hand made, waterproof, double layer sheaths. More pictures at: sheaths.blogspot.com

I like those, is there a wood or kydex liner in there? You have a unique look. :)

One thing, I'm sorry but the rules of BF state that you have to have a Craftsman level membership to show your company name and web site, Its well worth the money, So much coverage and so many knife makers and collectors that would love to see more of your work.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

It's a leather liner. It makes sheaths more rigid and doesn't scratch the blade.

Thanks for your advice. I did upgrade my membership to a Craftsman level before posting. They say it takes "a few moments" to show up.

Outstanding! :D The money is well spent. I see your title has changed but you need to visit your settings and change your forum name to orange (ie craftsman/knife maker) and you will be good to go! I can provide a link if you need assistance, no worries. :)

I've done many with the leather liner on Scandi type sheaths, thats why it looked so familiar to me. I love that look, its classic. I wish I had pics, but the most I did was before I had a digital camera.

I really like what you have going there, finding a niche is one of the most difficult paths. Most beginners simply copy an established maker and move from there and never seem to grow. Your on a good direction. :)

Keep it up and keep me posted!

Edit: I did finally find the page that lets you change your user group! They did hide it will didn't they? :p http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editusergroups

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback. It's helpful and appreciated!

And thank you for posting the link to editusergroups. I couldn't find it.

Too bad you don't have any pictures of your lined sheaths. It would be great to see them. I like your designs, details and finish of your sheaths. Is there a place I could see more of them?

I love that emu foot sheath and would love to buy one when I get some extra money.

The red sheath? :eek: To each his own, I guess.

Thank you! :D

Our emu supplier in Australia dried up and we've been on the hunt for more unfinished "crusts". I love those as they are un dyed.

MMMMM

EMU gladius sheath.
Take a kidney?
But I gotta ask. Why does it come from the foot. Is that the only way to get that pattern?

Rob

They call it a "foot" but its actually starts at the knee and ends at the toe. Emu is great because the scales are so pronounced, much more so than the ostrich.

oooh! A Gladius sheath with an emu inlay! nice! Expensive but nice! :)

I hope to find another supplier of the good skins, its not been an easy task so far, the stinky economy has had a really hard impact on the farmers and ranchers in Australia.

HOLY SMOKES those snake inlay sheaths are HOT HOT HOT!!!!!!!!!! May have to modify my order :D

heh heh heh, just call me the leather pusher. :)

btw, I have two Busse Koozies One is yours. Yellow with black print, circa 2008. Is that the one?

Oh man you rule, yes thats the one. It will see some serious use I promise. Owe ya one.

I'm curious what that little doo-dad on this sheath does:
hogwash2.jpg

Pin lock? I don't get it... :confused:
It makes the front of the sheath look interesting, but I don't know what it's used for. It seems like you could strap it onto something maybe...

Yep, its a pin lock. Same mechanics as the horizontal version but with a twist. This way it falls away when its open rather than rotating around. :)

Yep, its a pin lock. Same mechanics as the horizontal version but with a twist. This way it falls away when its open rather than rotating around. :)

Sorry but... nope! Still don't get it :p
Pin lock just makes me think of the pins in those tumbler locks you find on most regular locks nowadays. But as someone who doesn't know how it works, it looks pretty fancy to me! Hardware is always cool :thumbup:

No worries at all my friend! :) I will try to find pics of how it works, not sure if I do have them or not, but I will try my best. :D

I found one example of a pin lock on a sheath by Mikeymoto... but I'm still confused :p it doesn't look like the pin goes up high enough on your sheath to lock into the talon hole. Does it lock at the choil instead?

nowhere near the professional level shown here already, but I'll play, have been playing for leather for less than a year but I'm hooked!

BK9 kydex with frog:

bk9palm.jpg

added a pouch

923026BF-orig.jpg

first try at basketweaving on a huge Breeden

6B194A0F-orig.jpg

blackjack anaconda 3 with stacked leather handle, double loop stitch on sheath

2663891A-orig.jpg

14DAFBE5-orig.jpg

2819C2DD-orig.jpg

not a sheath but it's big :D handle wrap on a CS t'hawk

88D065EE-orig.jpg