Big News Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok 3 pages in and no news.....5 minutes I wish I could get back. Hopefully a new thread is started because at this pace news with announced on page 7.

Put the folks you do not like on ignore and talk about the big news instead of the visitors.
Do we actually know what the news is yet or are we just supposed to get hyped up because the company just said to do so?

I am just calling it how I see it, sort of like a "Boy who cried wolf" type of thing...

Very excited for the customs ! Really hope I can get one and do not care how long it takes to get it .

Yeah i am down too Sfrigon!

And i hear ya SN, a choil on a 4.75" blade length would be silly! I was hoping the customs are 4.7s with added choil so the cutting edge is still the same with a little extra length because of the choil.
But even if not, i'd take a 4.7 with choil but not extra length over none at all because i really do want a 4.7 - choil or not.

Do we actually know what the news is yet or are we just supposed to get hyped up because the company just said to do so?

Well, what was said on Instagram was (in two separate replies on June 7th), "We are about to drop some big news. Things will be speeding up for sure.... we are working getting these last models out in months, not years. We'll have some big news dropping soon." https://www.instagram.com/p/BVDE4oEjeE4/

Ellie had mentioned trying to implement methods to speed up production awhile back, and indeed there have been mentions of trying to speed up production off and on for years. One problem for customers is that none of us know if production IS speeding up or not because none of us know how many knives are being made and shipped in any given month. We can speculate from updates showing pallets of thousands of blanks that are headed to production-grinding, or hundreds and hundreds (most recent post was about 1500) ground blades headed to heat-treatment. None of us know how many thousands of GSO-4.7s were produced by this company (one of the last models to go out and a very popular one) nor even how many 2.7s were produced (they apparently are down to the last few dozen in the shop).

But we DO know that there have been thousands of these things made (5.1s, 4.7s, and 2.7s) based on photos of the blanks that S!K has published. Despite that, how many of those thousands of customers do we hear from? How many of those knives do we read about? 1%? 0.1%? What we read about instead are customers wondering where their specific knife is, why their specific order has not been fulfilled, or when they will get their specific refund. That sucks for S!K but is also the bed they made by promising too much (taking too many orders while presenting an unrealistic time-line for production) without the capacity to deliver on those promises. Their product really is exceptional... but it does take a while to arrive. Too many customers for too small of a company.

So what the company (specifically Guy and Ellie) have conveyed is that they have some plan to speed-up production... Whether you consider that a plea for 'hype' is up to you, but it doesn't seem to be directed at non-customers or future customers but rather at current customers, they don't seem to be trolling for new orders but trying to instill confidence in current order-holders that something is about to occur that should noticeably impact/reduce production times on those knives already paid for.

Whether you choose to be enthusiastic about the 'news' is up to you. I do not choose to be enthusiastic about it, but very hopeful that it is good news for the company. I would speculate that they have contracted with another knife company or have been granted a loan hitherto denied to them, either of which would allow them to take on more hands to build and ship out knives, to try to eliminate bottle necks.

Guy mentioned in another post that they wouldn't have many (or any) left-over 2.7s because of the "loss at production grinding" ... Maybe they plan to change contractors or bring that in house and thereby speed up production? *shrug* No idea. But I am patient, I have plenty of knives to keep me company until my orders arrive, and I only hope the best for Survive! as they continue to try an tackle the challenges they are facing - be those challenges of their own making or of simple twists of fate.

You can do it, S!K :D

After the "news", whatever it may be, is dropped, I likely will still not be all that enthusiastic. I'm storing up my enthusiasm for my 4.1s :) And my 12, 3.5, GSO-4, and... oh, and the 10. I think that's all i have on order. Oh, and also the new child I am expecting to arrive this week, I'll be enthusiastic about that ;)

With showing these pallets of knives, what if that isn't an improvement but where the hangup is?

This would make the customers think, "Oh, Great! Look at all of those knives getting ready to be finished". When it could just as likely be that the pallet is now sitting in a shed covered in a tarp...
----
I guess what I am saying is that I don't like updates that are just giving a heads up of a future update...
That isn't an update, it is a play on the hopes of those grasping at anything they can.

An update would be something like this:
"Hey folks, we know you have been waiting a while but here is an update. We are shaping handles and going to be shipping the first batch of 'X amount' knives starting Monday!".

Not:
"Hey, Guess what, things are changing again! Maybe we will let you know what it is. Until then, get your hopes up for another 'Update'. Hopefully this one will actually have information!".

Last edited:
An update would be something like this:
"Hey folks, we know you have been waiting a while but here is an update. We are shaping handles and going to be shipping the first batch of 'X amount' knives starting Monday!".

They post those here - quite consistently, actually: https://www.instagram.com/surviveknives/
And folk in this subforum tend to re-post them in this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/information-from-instagram-and-facebook.1350988/

Those updates occur quite frequently :thumbsup: The "big news" thing is something else and was only mentioned as a reply in the comments of an instagram post. Ellie created this thread for S!K fans to play with that comment a bit since it was made over on Instagram and there was sure to be questions about it here (which there were) - so she basically created a platform to ask about it, but offered no further information at this time. *shrug*

So you are like me - not enthused by such hints at an update. That's our prerogative :) But others enjoy a bit of speculation now and then, just try watching the 'news' sometime :eek:

I hope you guys that hate Survive! and their "fanboys" (aka anyone who has the audacity to disagree with you) don't have any heart problems, high blood pressure or are overweight, because it's probably not doing you the best going out of your way to visit these areas and channelling so much negativity. Or perhaps it is a deep seated problem, an internal struggle, a desperate cry for attention? A Freudian slip? I am no doctor, but I did study psychology. Drop me an email if you need some confidential counselling.

They post those here - quite consistently, actually: https://www.instagram.com/surviveknives/
And folk in this subforum tend to re-post them in this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/information-from-instagram-and-facebook.1350988/

Those updates occur quite frequently :thumbsup: The "big news" thing is something else and was only mentioned as a reply in the comments of an instagram post. Ellie created this thread for S!K fans to play with that comment a bit since it was made over on Instagram and there was sure to be questions about it here (which there were) - so she basically created a platform to ask about it, but offered no further information at this time. *shrug*

So you are like me - not enthused by such hints at an update. That's our prerogative :) But others enjoy a bit of speculation now and then, just try watching the 'news' sometime :eek:
The "news" is too "reality TV" for me and not enough actual news...

I appreciate the info. I just wish the companies offered some solid info like some of their Customers do...

I wonder if they realize that all of these headaches and (possibly) growing pains actively push potential customers away. If one is trying to stay in business, a wider customer base is a positive thing.

Two of the best ways to do that are with honesty and clarity. If they are looking to post new stuff on instagram, where folks may not be in the loop or as passionate with knives as those that invest time into a place like this, doesn't that seem a little disingenuous?

Folks that are looking at pics and taking them at face value, thinking things are moving along smoothly... But in the one place where folks are asking questions, looking for answers, refunds, reliable statements from the company, all we get is silence and cryptic posts?

That doesn't seem like a brand that I would want to drop a few hundred dollars with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back