Biggest baddest GECs? (and a cover question)

I saw a video the other day and the guy was showing off a really large GEC folder. The thing was awesome! It had thick stag(?) covers, and, I believe, a lock.

Looking at specs, and pics of knives with nothing to show scale, it's hard to judge size.

What are some beefy GEC folders?

As for the cover question... In the video, the guy pointed out that one side was much thicker than the other. He showed this in the video and it was clearly the case. Is this a normal practice?

Any comments, suggestions and PICS are welcome and appreciated. ;)

I once described the powderhorn as being more beefy than its similar shaped cousin the toothpick.
DSCN6447.jpg

The single blade Lumberjack #45 is on my radar... it is one of their stoutest, I believe. As for the varying thickness, I do not know if it is normal practice, but I've seen it before.

GEC #72 Mini Lockback Hunter with Red Stag covers - 3 7/8"

gecnfminilockbackhunter.jpg

The #23, at 4-1/2" closed and 8-1/4" open, is a pretty beefy folder in my book.

00u8.jpg

I guess the #72 is a pretty large GEC -

DSC_4525.JPG

But I love the #74 more - whatta knife!

DSC_9184.JPG

DSC_9168.JPG

best

mqqn

It looks so much more substantial to me in the video than in your picture. Maybe it's just me. It definitely looks like it could give a Buck 110 a run for its money!

Does yours have a thicker cover on one side too?

I saw a vid with a side by side comparison of the 110 and the #23, and the 110 was a bit bigger/ heavier; I like the #42's Missouri Trader/ Trappers.. the are a bit smaller than the 23's

It looks so much more substantial to me in the video than in your picture. Maybe it's just me. It definitely looks like it could give a Buck 110 a run for its money!

Does yours have a thicker cover on one side too?

Nope. The scales on mine are perfectly uniform on both sides. The #23 is slightly smaller than the 110, but not by much.

Interesting. Must be that (to my eyes) the pics are a little more accurate for size than the video.

Also it's kinda curious that his (I keep writing scale) cover is thicker on one side. But he says it's happened on more than one of his knives, and that it's the opposite on a left hand model that GEC also makes? Very interesting to me.

So is the #23 the king of the GECs in terms of size/weight?

Holy cow, thanks for the link. I got lost in those huge knives!

It's interesting to me how my tastes are changing by the day it seems. I've never liked those elephant toenail knives. I always thought that they looked really cheap for some reason. I must have seen junk ones at swap meets growing up or something. As I went through that thread (and the thread linked in it) I started thinking "yeah, I could see carrying one of those...". :)

Also it's kinda curious that his (I keep writing scale) cover is thicker on one side. But he says it's happened on more than one of his knives, and that it's the opposite on a left hand model that GEC also makes? Very interesting to me.

Keep in mind that stag is a natural material. It's rarely perfectly balanced on both sides. My #23 is perfect for my left hand. GEC does a great job matching the stag for their knives.

Back