• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bill DeShivs, cutler

Bill DeShivs

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I make, design and restore cutlery. Most of my business is the restoration of vintage automatics. I also do hand and machine engraving. 50 years in the business.
I am a certified repair station for Latama, Mauro Mario, Venier (Lepre), Hubertus, Kuno Ritter, G.Grafrath, Colonial, KaBar, Schrade Cut.Co., Press Button Knife Co. Flylock, Presto, Falcon/AKC/Campolin knife companies.

Last edited:
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Q : What does cobalt plating look like ?
(PS : I LOVE nickel plating)
I'm off to see your web site now.
Thanks

Cobalt is a white plating with a hue in between nickel and chrome. Not quite as yellow as nickel, and not quite as white as chrome.

Hey Bill DeShivs Bill DeShivs :), got one for you...this switch was found in my grandmother's safe deposit box in the mid 90's. Awesome knife, snappy action..button lock with slip joint style backspring. Only markings are INOX on the mark side and Pat. No.400 on the reverse. Pulled it out one day and it wouldn't fire, got it open and about 2/3 of the spring fell out:(. Do you know anything about it, and what a repair might run?

Screenshot_20190828-204224_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190828-203509_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Got the Derby bolster back today, fires like a champ and I can't even tell it's been worked on! If you need a vintage auto worked on don't hesitate to contact Bill DeShivs Bill DeShivs :thumbsup::thumbsup:. Thanks again Bill, so pleased to have this family heirloom;) back to working:D.

Got the Derby bolster back today, fires like a champ and I can't even tell it's been worked on! If you need a vintage auto worked on don't hesitate to contact Bill DeShivs Bill DeShivs :thumbsup::thumbsup:. Thanks again Bill, so pleased to have this family heirloom;) back to working:D.
Thank YOU!

I also convert standard Hubertus 11 CM lever lock knives to shell-puller configuration for Johnny Cade fans.
I can also build shell-pullers from Italian lever locks, or build you a full-custom knife.

I have no time for experimental stuff. I hardly have time to do the repairs and shell puller conversions.
The only knives that I currently make are Leverlettos and "Springer" types.

Bill, can you do checkering or stippling on wood handled folders to make them more grippy? If so, please PM me the details. Thanks!

I make, design and restore cutlery. Most of my business is the restoration of vintage automatics. I also do hand and machine engraving. 50 years in the business.
I am a certified repair station for Latama, Mauro Mario, Venier (Lepre), Hubertus, Kuno Ritter, G.Grafrath, Colomial, KaBar, Schrade Cut.Co., Press Button Knife Co. Flylock, Presto, Falcon/AKC/Campolin knife companies.
I need scales made for a Spartan Horkos knife. The original scales are way too small (5/8” handle including scales and tang). I need at least a 1” handle. An option would be spacers and new longer screws. Can you help me please? Thank you.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do rehandles right now.
Very sorry.

Hey Bill, do you do regrinds? I've got an old "double edge" Concorde that is only sharpened on one side.

Back