BK-18 Harpoon sheath Scout mounting options

Hi folks, BeckerHead #103 here. Just received my BK-18 Harpoon today, in brown & got the tan micarta handles on it. Absolutely LOVE this knife & blade style in general. I already removed the belt nylon and installed a KaBar belt clip. It works but is just too loose & floppy for my liking. I have a large teclok but only 2 holes line up so it is still very loose floppy. If I could use all 4 corners of the large teclok to the sheath it may work. Looking for more options for scout carry that make it good & tight to my very thick leather belt.

What say you BeckerHeads ?

Last edited:
I made two pull-the-dot straps for mine (premade straps are too short) out of coated webbing and hardware available on amazon. You could always make loops from leather and screw them in position, but you would lose the ability to remove it without taking off the belt. Best part of making your own straps is control over the tension. I have plans to order an Azwelke taco sheath (as overall width is always a consideration for scout carry), and it is possible that the decreased width would allow for the use of premade straps, although the BK18 is a wide blade. If you are married to using a Teklok, it may be necessary to make an adapter plate with spacers to allow for a better fit. I prefer two points of contact for horizontal carry of a knife of this length, but you might also have an acceptable result from a wide strap run through the belt slots of the sheath and secured with snaps or (shudder) velcro. In my opinion, anything past a 14 is too big for the belt clip.

cut a piece of leather or webbing, punch holes in the corners, use chicago screws to attach it to the sheath?
this will let you attach it horizontal or vertical.

I'm not really married to any idea, just one that works & holds it tight. Nothing worse than having it flop around & not be consistent in whether the handle is tipped up or down or level, level being where I want it.

Thanks, keep the ideas coming.

Azwelke sells scout loops (basic fixed loop of wide leather) and a snap loop (same concept, but made of two pieces that connect with, you guessed it, snaps). Sagewood gear sells a really nice set of scout straps for the Esee 3/4 that might be adapted to the stock 18 sheath.

Ok, I ended up using an old leather belt, to make my BK-18 Harpoon sheath scout carry friendly. I used stainless bolts/nylock nuts & brass washers & a nylon washer. I cut 2 strips from a 1-3/4" belt, the width of the sheaths. Punched 4 holes in each strip & bolted them on. Works great, is super secure & it does not move around at all. VERY happy with the outcome. Made the same for my Cutco/Kabar Outdoorsman knife. I actually think I like carrying it strongside handle forward better than scout carry. My new set up allows me to carry them 3 ways, scout, crossdraw, strongside carry.

Thanks for the help! This forum ROCKS !

Back