BK-62 Kephart - In the kitchen?

If you need a go to camp knife that will do it all… yes get a BK62.
A lot of history goes along with it too.

If we’re talking kitchen knife, I prefer the BK5.
To me it’s a great camp knife as well as a helluva food prep knife. Kinda a do it all camp/kitchen knife.

I would say that it will be pretty good as an overall kitchen/camping knife out on the trail. I have tended to use mine on the grill in the back yard and also chopping off branches for general yard work. What I love is I can just slip my BK62 in my front pocket on the weekends and beat the he$$ out of it. For real kitchen work I would stick to a real 210/240mm guyto.

Good move.
Now work on a proper justification for a BK-62. :)

:) That may take some creativty & time: I already have a BK 16 (w/custom dyed micarta scales). More importantly, I just bought a Tops Basecamp Parang. And, so help me, I hope to remain disciplined (deals aside) for about a calendar year.

Update

A few responses noted the importance of using a knife designed for the task at hand. To that end, I recently dug an unused 20 year old Buck filet knife out of storage. When I addressed it to chicken breast prep it performed.

view

Used my 62 to prep all these veggies for soup for lunch this week. It gets the job done.

Mirepoix, 2 zucchini, summer squash, cauliflower green beans.

The Mirepoix was cut a little coarse, fine dicing with the 62 would be a chore.

Last edited:
Back