BK 62 Tang Cracks??

Got home from work and found my BK 62 in the mailbox.
Pretty excited.
My first Becker, actually (I know, what a loser. Well, some just take a while to come around).

Went out to enjoy it, knowing I should get some pictures first off, as I will mod it at least some, and was planning to cut up food with it during dinner prep, so patina will happen.

IMG_2462 by ursidae8, on Flickr

As I was looking it over, admiring it and becoming increasingly very impressed with an amazing quality product for the price.
Feels great in the hand; almost perfect size.
No sharp corners, nice.
And a tapered tang? On a factory knife? Crazy.
Anyway, the short is I am pretty impressed, and excited to start putting it through some paces this weekend.

And I noticed this...

IMG_2473 by ursidae8, on Flickr

IMG_2472 by ursidae8, on Flickr

IMG_2470 by ursidae8, on Flickr

(hope the pics work, still learning how to post them here...)

I got out a high power loupe and looked closer, and they appear to be hairline cracks in the steel, running parallel to the tang.
They seem to be around the rearmost fastener hole so not sure if that is related.
I don't see any obvious damage to the handle, like it was hit or anything...

So any thoughts?

Suggestions on what I should do?

Just return it to the seller?

I am actually a maker (well, when I have time). So I am certainly not passing any judgements or anything silly like that. I know only too well that stuff happens, especially when you make a lot of knives. I just got lucky.
And I just thought it might be helpful for the folks at Kabar to know.
I would want to know if it was one of my blades.

Here is the SKU from the box.
IMG_2476 by ursidae8, on Flickr

Hard to tell by the photos. Do you think it cracked, or deep scratches?

Have you flexed the blade to see if the cracks open?

If they are indeed cracks, I’d let Ka-Bar know one way or another. I’m positive they would want to investigate to see what could be the cause. It would be worth calling them I think.

Like The Warrior mentioned, I hope they are just deep scratches.

I’ll echo others sentiments. Whether a scratch or a crack, it’s a new knife and shouldn’t be like that. Contact Ka-Bar, they have great customer service.

You can contact them directly through their website. They’ll make it right. :thumbsup:

Got home from work and found my BK 62 in the mailbox.
Pretty excited.
My first Becker, actually (I know, what a loser. Well, some just take a while to come around).

Went out to enjoy it, knowing I should get some pictures first off, as I will mod it at least some, and was planning to cut up food with it during dinner prep, so patina will happen.

IMG_2462 by ursidae8, on Flickr

As I was looking it over, admiring it and becoming increasingly very impressed with an amazing quality product for the price.
Feels great in the hand; almost perfect size.
No sharp corners, nice.
And a tapered tang? On a factory knife? Crazy.
Anyway, the short is I am pretty impressed, and excited to start putting it through some paces this weekend.

And I noticed this...

IMG_2473 by ursidae8, on Flickr

IMG_2472 by ursidae8, on Flickr

IMG_2470 by ursidae8, on Flickr

(hope the pics work, still learning how to post them here...)

I got out a high power loupe and looked closer, and they appear to be hairline cracks in the steel, running parallel to the tang.
They seem to be around the rearmost fastener hole so not sure if that is related.
I don't see any obvious damage to the handle, like it was hit or anything...

So any thoughts?

Suggestions on what I should do?

Just return it to the seller?

I am actually a maker (well, when I have time). So I am certainly not passing any judgements or anything silly like that. I know only too well that stuff happens, especially when you make a lot of knives. I just got lucky.
And I just thought it might be helpful for the folks at Kabar to know.
I would want to know if it was one of my blades.

Here is the SKU from the box.
IMG_2476 by ursidae8, on Flickr
That's a BUMMER :( the bad part you got to deal with it but the good part KaBar will definitely make you whole :thumbsup::thumbsup: Please keep us posted. Very Curious if those are cracks ;) I've never seen cracks like that but if Mr.Siegle has seen it before unfortunately that's what they be :thumbsup:

Thanks, everyone.:thumbsup:

I will reach out to KaBar, and see what they think. I have no doubt they will remedy the situation.
Probably won't be able to until Monday, though.

At first I also thought they were scratches, or even folds.
And I am still not certain they are cracks, just looked like it with the loupe, because of their shape and habit, if you will. They have sharp edges that catch the point of a razor and needle.
Like Mr. Siegle, I have also seen cracks before, but am no expert on it.
Just never seen ones that run more parallel to the axis of the knife; all I have ever seen are perpendicular cracks.

I was reluctant to take the scales off, or really do anything more than look at it, and "void the warranty" or something.;)

But unless you think it is a bad idea, my curiosity is really eating at me to take a look under them and see if I can learn more.
Maybe I will learn something.

Regardless, I will keep you updated.

I wouldn’t think removing the scales would void the warrenty, there is such a huge aftermarket for custom Becker scales, people are doing it constantly. Just don’t mar/damage anything (tool slipped, etc.) if you think it might be returned to the vendor.

another vote for call kabar and ask who you should email the pictures to so they can think about it while waiting for your knife to come back as a warranty return.
I'm betting they will want to take a first-hand look at that blade, although in all likelihood the flaws were in the billet and weren't visible until they had time to oxidize a little.

Feel like I am sort of beating the dead horse, but just an update on this, for those interested.

I did take the slabs off, and found a few more "cracks".

IMG_2497 by ursidae8, on Flickr

IMG_2498 by ursidae8, on Flickr

Don't know if you can see them...

I tried to gently flex the blade in my hands (NOT in a vise), and it was hard to tell if they opened or anything.

I also noticed this one, going through the B on the logo; missed it earlier. Under a scope, I could see how the etch burned down into the "crack".

IMG_2495 by ursidae8, on Flickr

LogoCrop by ursidae8, on Flickr

Anyway, plan to talk to Kabar in the morning.

In other news, this showed up Saturday, so my somewhat bumming about the 62, became all smiles!

IMG_2479 by ursidae8, on Flickr

Have been wanting, waiting(for some reason) to pick one up for more than a few years.
So I am very happy I found one.

And I will admit that although there is part of me that wants to save it and "put it away"; most of me wants to know how it cuts.

Will share more about it later.

Brome

Feel like I am sort of beating the dead horse, but just an update on this, for those interested.

I tried to gently flex the blade in my hands (NOT in a vise), and it was hard to tell if they opened or anything.

I also noticed this one, going through the B on the logo; missed it earlier. Under a scope, I could see how the etch burned down into the "crack".

In other news, this showed up Saturday, so my somewhat bumming about the 62, became all smiles!

Have been wanting, waiting(for some reason) to pick one up for more than a few years.

And I will admit that although there is part of me that wants to save it and "put it away"; most of me wants to know how it cuts.

Brome
Never seen that before. KA-BAR intervention is definitely the way to go. And, congrats on the kukri, very cool. :thumbsup: I'd use that bad boy. ;)

Dang man, that crack looks horrible:

46683898354_7dba4dc4fe_z.jpg

Brome

I can see them (cracks/lines) your pics are Good.

Brome
Congrats on the BK&T Reinhardt :thumbsup::thumbsup: No questioning if those are cracks now o_O

Back