BK 62 Tang Cracks??

if it's any consolation, I've actually seem something similar happen to a PT knife maker buddy -- everything looked great going into HT, but came out of it with a spiderweb of fine surface cracks.
I had one of mine recently come out of the quench fine - but it developed 2 cracks during the second temper cycle.

i'd be interested in actually breaking the thing fully open. i'm going to guess grain growth but more importantly, i would almost be willing to guess that it's the original steel stock - bad factory stock.

unless of course, there's obvious signs of abuse, KaBar is going to take care of this, and they will want it back to analyze :D

Called Kabar this morning, and they reviewed the pictures and sent this back.

Thank you for the photos. I did forward them to our QC team and they requested that the knife be returned to us. I will send a prepaid label, which will allow you to return it at no cost to you. Please advise if you would like the label emailed or sent via the US Postal Service. Once received here, we will hand inspect a replacement.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Kristi

The outstanding customer service we expected.

I hope to ship it back in the morning.

Will be sad to have to wait :(, but I will get to be excited all over again:D.
And I have the Reinhardt kukri to console myself with; no worries!:thumbsup:

Bladite and others: I too think it would be interesting to take a closer look at it.
I think it would be really cool if KaBar sent some info on what they find. But I won't hold my breath.

Brome

Back