BK15 Blues

A couple of years ago, I gifted a BK15 to the best friend I have ever had! At the time, he was an outdoorsman, but only had a couple of knives. "I'm just not into knives the way you are. I am more of a gun nut," He had told me. That fall we went on several camping\hunting trips and I proudly showed him that a gun can do one thing quite well, but a knife can protect you, feed you, clothe you, shelter you, provide fuel for warmth etc etc.

I gave him my BK15 (it was like giving up a vital organ haha) because he admired it so much. Since that time he has become a born again knife-a-holic and recently told me that he has bought so many knives, his girlfriend keeps an Excel spreadsheet on them so she does not accidentally buy duplicates. Wow!

I truly miss that knife though...but I don't really regret giving it to such a great brother. Some day I will get another I am sure. I will keep my eyes open in the mean time.

I wanted to pass this story on because David (my friend) will be elk hunting this year and that BK15 will be by his side when he does. It makes me happy to know it serves him well.

Has anyone else ever given up a cherished knife? What knife was it? Did you regret it, or did it turn out to be a great idea to give it?

I recently gave my 15 year old nephew a Bk5 that I had stripped and polished. He fell in love with it as soon as he saw it so I handed it over to him. He fishes almost everyday and I failed to tell him to keep some oil on the blade. (That I Regret) When I saw him this weekend he was all kinds of upset. He pulled the 5 out of the sheath and it was rusted up pretty good. It had set in a wet sheath for a few days. I told him I would take care of it. So next week I'm gonna give him a new unstripped Bk5. I've already polished the old one up but it had pitted already. So I got me another user lol. I wont use the one I got
from 91bravo 91bravo its to damn nice looking!!!

I recently gave my 15 year old nephew a Bk5 that I had stripped and polished. He fell in love with it as soon as he saw it so I handed it over to him. He fishes almost everyday and I failed to tell him to keep some oil on the blade. (That I Regret) When I saw him this weekend he was all kinds of upset. He pulled the 5 out of the sheath and it was rusted up pretty good. It had set in a wet sheath for a few days. I told him I would take care of it. So next week I'm gonna give him a new unstripped Bk5. I've already polished the old one up but it had pitted already. So I got me another user lol. I wont use the one I got

But I had set that one up for use! That blade will look much better with some battle scars on it! How else are you going to experience that edge?

Love my Beckers but a Buck 121 in da truck (4X4 gets me to da ocean Fish in da ocean) got an extra for da Kid hit me up wid your addy

Becker Content not ideal for da Fish

MzMlvZ0.jpg

Love my Beckers but a Buck 121 in da truck (4X4 gets me to da ocean Fish in da ocean) got an extra for da Kid hit me up wid your addy

Becker Content not ideal for da Fish

MzMlvZ0.jpg

You can send me the "Ugly old Gray knife" and I send you a extra Buck 121 ;)

Oddly enough my gift was a Becker too. Many moons ago I had a Camillus BK7, lightly used but no funds to get my brother a gift for his birthday. I let him pick from a pile of my blades, apparently he had a decent eye for steel. Picked the BK7.

Visited him a couple months later and was pleased and disappointed to see he was using the knife but not keeping up with maintaining the edge. Got it cleaned up and sharpened.

Man, that thing took a great toothy edge. Haven't seen it since, probably been 7+ years, this was the last year or 2 of Camillus BK's being a thing.

I have given away more knives than I could count. One notable was a buddy headed to SERE school for the Air Force. They let him take that BK16, and he said it was such a great knife everyone in his class kept trying to borrow it. Apparently the issue Ontario had to be sharpened before every use and couldn't keep an edge. He said everyone went out and bought Beckers after they left the course.

Perhaps most dear to me was the saber BK16 my brother won at one of the gatherings. It currently adorns his battle rattle on his 4th deployment, this time to the Ukraine. It's not liable to see any heavy use, but it gives me comfort to know he has it.

My BK15 blues were not realizing how much I was gonna love it until after they were gone. I am not usually one to buy backups because there are always so many other great knives out there to try but I regret not picking up a back up of the 15 when they were on clearance. I love the blade shape and the size a lot and it is nice and slicey.

I gave my son my saber BK16, and a KFU custom. Gave 91bravo a BK4. I've given away a few others, but can't remember right now.

Ive seen a few bk15s for sale lately. They sell fairly fast. Just gotta keep an eye on all the for sale, tradeblanket, threads

I have two I bought before they were discontinued and gone.
I keep an eye out for another at a good price.

Back when BK15s were on the cheap I gave away a few; now, I regret that and wish I horded every BK15 I could get my hands on for me!

I had three BK15's go through my hands over the years. Never liked 'em, didn't need 'em. And then, I think a year and a half ago, I got it. Perception shifted ever so slightly, and when it was said and done, I had to have one. I stole one from Pointy, carried it for a Gathering, then he stole it back to use to make a sheath. I felt bad so I tracked down another from a great person who I have done business with before, and a few days later my new favorite knife arrives. Amazing how fast they sold out. There was a sale one time where they were forty bucks or something, I wish I would have gotten in on that.

I sent my BK2 a few years back to FAL'ler, who kindly sent it back recently. Obviously, he took great care of the knife, and that's the only time I don't regret giving a becker away.

My ex-fiancée received a BK14 from me before it ended, and it probably went into the trash. I gave a BK7 to my friend/boss, who has used it as a hammer, prybar, etc, basically for every use besides a knife. It kinda made me sad to find it disfigured and rusty under the seat of the tractor. I've learned not to give, and especially not loan, expensive knives to people who are not going to take care of their tools. I pretty much just give out mora's now...

I gave my youngest brother a BK15 when he went to Alaska on a hunting trip and I gave my middle brother a BK4 on his fourth anniversary followed by a BK15 and BK16. I still managed to squirrel away a few of the BK15s before they were discontinued - I think giving two away made me want more for myself despite one being more than enough for a lifetime. I gave my father a Lile for his 55 birthday - cost me a pretty penny because it was made by the man himself, but well worth it after seeing my Dad's face after opening it.

I gave one to my brother.
No regrets, he loves it.
I sold at least one.
Still have a few around.
I might have one of these and a 17 at the gathering for trade or whatnot.
It's a shame that it took so long for some to catch on when at one time they could be had for $35 at what seemed unlimited supply.

Since no one has even posted a bk15 picture yet... Geeze ! ! What the...

Here is one of my 15s etched, stripped, and dipped in boiling hot apple cider vinegar for less than 1 minute

Really blackened it.
IMG_1123.jpg

Beckerhead 386

Last edited:
Back