BK16 name?

I did some internet searching but haven’t found a ‘definitive’ answer...I’ve seen “tweener” and “Short Field Knife.”

Does the BK 16 have an official name like most of the Becker line?

Thanks!

Tweeners refers to the BK15, 16, and 17. The size in "between" a small and large knife, hence tweeners. They were designated shorts. If I'm not mistaken, his ex came up with that name.

Short drop point is the official name.
We started calling them "Tweeners" before that official name came out. I don't know who said it first.
As I recall there was a contest or at least a long thread in regards to what we should name them.

they're Tweeners.

I thought 15,16, and 17 were named trailing point, drop point, and clip point, respectively. Usually prefaced with “short” in order to distinguish between other beckers of the same blade geometry. I hadnt thought much of the “short” prefix before now.

Short drop point is the official name.
We started calling them "Tweeners" before that official name came out. I don't know who said it first.
As I recall there was a contest or at least a long thread in regards to what we should name them.

they're Tweeners.

So would you say 15,16, and 17 are the tweener model with trailing, drop, and clip just being the variation of the tweener model?
If this is the case, the 18 and the less common, 98 are not to be called tweeners.
I had thought tweener referred to the handle style and size. Not so much a specific model.

It's a good question you ask. Back around early 2011 ish before those tweeners were released, we just called them tweeners and described each individual of the 3 knives by the blade type, Drop point tweener, clip point tweener & trailing point tweener. That was before they had a number associated with them.

I guess now when I call them tweeners I'm referring to the handle size as compared to that Iconic full size Becker Grip.

As I recollect there were 4 or 5 prototype Tweeners which were being considered for production, one was a recurve fighting type knife. There's picture's somewhere.
Is recurve even a knife term or am I mixing up some Archery terms? It's late and I'm old, and fat too, don't forget that.

Tweener!

The Tweener term most likely has more to do with the handles than anything else although the overall size of the 15, 16, 17 (and now 18) as stated earlier in this thread, "in between" the small and large Becker Knives. Some of the Becker line-up has gotten official nomenclature that is of record on and in KaBar materials but others have been given love names by the faithful ... such as The King for the BK-9. In that context, I have lovingly called the 16 the Sweet Sixteen.

Last edited:
Hell yes, those are tweeners, because of the handles.

thats pretty much how i understand it. Part of me says the 15,16, and 17 dont have a specific name other than their descriptive name because the the full size version exists. 15 is the tweener version of the magnum camp, 16 is the tweener version of the companion, and 17 is the tweener version of the combat utility.

Back