BK29 Grind Issue?

Hello all,
I am seeking opinions and advice from those with a lot of Becker knowledge and experience. I just got my new BK29 package from KABAR. The grind is a good bit different on each side of the blade, mostly the relief on the spine and swedge. I hope the pictures show what I am talking about (although until I post I don't know if they are going to be big enough to see clearly.) I understand this is not a custom made knife, and I understand the usefulness is not affected at all. I don't expect blades in this price range to be dimensionally perfect, but this is pretty easy to see. So I guess the best way to ask my question is: Is what you see unexpected or is this "usual" for KABAR? Put another way, am I being too persnickety?
Thanks in advance for any replies,
Gun Doc
BxeNOtf.jpg

hqov8SF.jpg

TZcOdtY.jpg

EeltyAK.jpg

Pretty big difference in grind, but also probably within tolerances, especially given that for all intents these were prototypes, so a couple things stem from that. First, new design shape means there is less experience grinding this particular shape, so it is bound to be off on some and it seems you unfortunately found one of those few.

Second, unfortunately, with issues from a prototype, it means trading it in for another might be kinda difficult depending on how many they have left and what condition those remaining are in.

It doesn't affect cutting ability, but I can see where you would be concerned, and I completely empathize with that. About the only real option would be to call Kabar directly and see what they can do, unless of course you feel the need to strip and regrind/modify your knife.

Pretty big difference in grind, but also probably within tolerances, especially given that for all intents these were prototypes, so a couple things stem from that. First, new design shape means there is less experience grinding this particular shape, so it is bound to be off on some and it seems you unfortunately found one of those few.

Second, unfortunately, with issues from a prototype, it means trading it in for another might be kinda difficult depending on how many they have left and what condition those remaining are in.

It doesn't affect cutting ability, but I can see where you would be concerned, and I completely empathize with that. About the only real option would be to call Kabar directly and see what they can do, unless of course you feel the need to strip and regrind/modify your knife.

I agree with what DerekH DerekH says. but I also feel for you too. you get all excited waiting to get your new blade and even a small problem bums you out. it happens. talk to the supplier. good luck.

My BK 10 is was really wacked out that way, until I butchered it and did a belt sander modified 10

DerekH (and others),

Thanks for the reply. I don't mean to be argumentative, so please take what I say with that thought in mind. Also, I understand completely that you are not the manufacturer.
Quoting KABAR's website: "We liked it so well we named it after him and turned on the production line to offer you a limited quantity blade we think you're going to love!" Despite that advertising, I have heard these are actually a run of blades previously made due some miscommunication before Ethan and KABAR finalized the design of the BK20. If that is true, then that is more likely the reason they are limited. Either way, as you state, there are apparently only so many with no more coming. While I do understand your comments regarding the "growing pains" of grinding a new design, I would not call them prototypes, nor would I think they were intended to be prototypes. Prototypes are usually "one off", although there may be more than one made as the design is finalized. For certain uses, prototypes can be identical. A company might make a limited number of identical prototypes for testing (say ten, to pick a number.) But several hundred takes them out of the prototype range, at least to me. I assume these were originally made with the intent to sell them, and as such should be quality controlled as well as any other Becker.

Having said all that, I think both you and bladesmith3 have indirectly answered my question. Specifically, this blade is enough "off" that it is not unreasonable for me to contact KABAR. I didn't want to do that until I got a reading from the experts about the reasonableness of my expectations. Depending on what is left, they may or may not be able to do something about it. So, I guess we will see.

Thanks again all, and I do welcome further comments,
Gun Doc

Last edited:
Fair enough, but in the vein of production vs prototype, your read is accurate, but in terms of experience at the factory, 400 is a pretty low number when you consider how many of the other models the workers there have ground.

If you aren't happy, definitely give them a call, and I absolutely hope that at the end of it all you are a happy customer. It is a great big ole honking knife, and we have bajillions of movies starring unhappy folks with great honkin big ole knives. I assume for different reasons, but I don't judge. All the best!

DerekH,

Thanks. No question 400 (and I trust you know the number), is relatively low.
It IS a great big ole honking knife. I don't really have a need for such a knife, but I always wanted one. When I could get a great big ole honking Becker . . . Box checked! (Don't know how I missed knowing about the 20, but I did . . . )
But, trust me, if I ever go over the edge, it won't be over a knife grind. And if I do, my handle ain't "Knife Doc." Just sayin'.

I have emailed info@ka-bar.com with pics. So we will see what they say.

Best,
Gun Doc

Last edited:
Agreed the grind is noticable and if you aren't happy I would return it. But I would consider if you like the knife itself and the grind is all that isn't good ... I like to thin the blade slight behind the edge anyway and doing that could easily even that out.

But being a new knife if that's not your plan I can totaly understand if you returned or exchanged it.

Thanks everyone for your comments and insight. I will keep this thread updated as things develop.
Best,
Gun Doc

I just looked at mine. My 29 is definitely off. I honestly would not have ever known if not for this thread. My 20 is pretty spot on. Just a little bit off from that it starts.

Hello all,

Status report as promised. As mentioned previously, I contacted KA-BAR via email, attaching the same pictures I provided in my first post on this thread. I also contacted them through their online warranty form. Kristi at KA-BAR responded via email, suggested I return my 29, and told me she had already set aside a replacement for me. According to my USPS tracking number, KA-BAR should receive it on Monday. So far, things appear to be going well.

Thanks again for all the responses,
Dun Doc

Hello all,

Status report as promised. As mentioned previously, I contacted KA-BAR via email, attaching the same pictures I provided in my first post on this thread. I also contacted them through their online warranty form. Kristi at KA-BAR responded via email, suggested I return my 29, and told me she had already set aside a replacement for me. According to my USPS tracking number, KA-BAR should receive it on Monday. So far, things appear to be going well.

Thanks again for all the responses,
Dun Doc

That is awesome! Glad to hear it brother! Pics when the replacement comes!

Just checked mine. The swedge is off, but not nearly as bad as yours. Glad to hear kabar is taking care of it.

Back