Review BK62 Video Review

Great video. it is obvious you did your homework before filming the review, much more enjoyable to see the knife in use than watch someone just hold the knife in front of the camera and read the specs.

You can tell that a lot of effort went into that. Thank you.

It was very thorough and your enthusiasm about it shows. Well done!

I have a small child too so there is a good bit of backyard camping/bushcraft going on here too. Heh, you do what you gotta do. :)
Thank you! And yes, I've really had to kinda adapt the way I think about camping and bushcraft as a mom. Like it's not a sin to practice bushcraft in the yard, it doesn't HAVE to be in pristine wilderness. Although I like that much better I just have a more complicated life now with the little one. We still get out to the woods when we can but it's a much bigger ordeal.

Outstanding! I really enjoyed that.
Thank you Tradewater!!

Wow, you just made my lunchbreak :)

THX for the insight!
Thank YOU for spending your lunch break listening to me babble haha!

Cap'n I just finished watching your review - good job. One thing though, can you open a beer with it??????? That, after all, is the ultimate test. :)

Doc
Oh man, such a good idea. I just started eating healthy again and there isn't any beer in the house!! Gah!

Great video. it is obvious you did your homework before filming the review, much more enjoyable to see the knife in use than watch someone just hold the knife in front of the camera and read the specs.
Thank you, I tried my best. It's hard keeping all the facts straight in my brain. Something about having a kid is making my brain cells leak out of my head I swear. Lol!

And thanks to everyone else who responded. Means the most coming from you guys!

I just went ahead and ordered it. Your review is what pushed me over the edge. I was a bit iffy about it not being a more rust resistant steel, but I think I'll use it in the kitchen a bit to build up a patina before taking it out for longer periods of time.

Just finished it! Best bk62 review on youtube by far! I think you are the only youtuber to talk about the tapered tang. Tons of people are whining about the cost and that tapered tang is a massive part of it. You NEVER see a tapered tang on production knives. The stupid pm101 review was such garbage (not a surprise of course). There was no researched history on the knife and he didn't even look at it long enough to notice the tang. Your review showed off that you actually took the time to know the product. Great job I hope you get lots of views!

Last edited:
I just went ahead and ordered it. Your review is what pushed me over the edge. I was a bit iffy about it not being a more rust resistant steel, but I think I'll use it in the kitchen a bit to build up a patina before taking it out for longer periods of time.
Yay! I hope you enjoy it!!
Just finished it! Best bk62 review on youtube by far! I think you are the only youtuber to talk about the tapered tang. Tons of people are whining about the cost and that tapered tang is a massive part of it. You NEVER see a tapered tang on production knives. The stupid pm101 review was such garbage (not a surprise of course). There was no researched history on the knife and he didn't even look at it long enough to notice the tang. Your review showed off that you actually took the time to know the product. Great job I hope you get lots of views!
Thank you!!! It takes more effort to do the research but I'm so glad people are enjoying it!
uhh?... Beer is Very healthy!

haha... I know I'm sounding goofy, but really It IS.
:D
okay fine! I got some at the store today haha!

As is the case with a lot of factory knives, too soft if the 56-58Rc spec is accurate. I made a Kephart in 115W8 at around 62 Rc and will be running my AEB-L version at 61Rc. No reason to use that 0170-6/50-110B/1095 CV that soft.

Hey y'all, I have a question about the BK62. From what I understood, Kephart designed the knife the Colclessor Brothers produced. I got a comment on my video though, that says that's not the case. Can anyone point me to a way to fact check this? Has @Ethan Becker been on here in a while? I hate to state wrong facts when I spent so much time trying to look stuff up and do it right.

Quote from the YouTube comment:
"That knife is NOT BASED on the "Origional" Kephart he actually used (which was custon forged to his specs ) It is based on the COLCLESSOR BROTHERS commercial version. The handle ergos on the Colclessor knife SUCK compared to the original due to the THINNING OF THE HANDLE over the front to create the "swells" along the side at the front. The swells simply get in the way and the thin section is painful for long term use. I DOUBT the side contouring of the handle was Kephart's idea.And by the way , there is NO WRITTEN HISTORICAL DOCUMENTATION that Kepart himself actually approved of the alterations Colclessor made to his orgional design. It also might explain why they are so rare ( as nobody wanted to buy them)."

So I'm curious, is there written historical documentation either way? That the Kephart knife they produced is actually what he wanted and similar to what he used? (I understand that it's quite possible he used something custom and then had a design produced that wasn't EXACTLY the same as what he used) Or is there written documentation that the Colclessor Brothers made many alterations to the blade? Because the blade seems to be a match to the blade described in the 1906 version of Camping and Woodcraft....

My only source for why I said what I said was just talking about the blade here and this ad from the Colclessor Bros back in the day:
WrvEuQJ.jpg

Thank you and I understand YouTube is a crazy place and I shouldn't waste too much time on comments who maybe aren't the nicest, but I am curious about this.

As is the case with a lot of factory knives, too soft if the 56-58Rc spec is accurate. I made a Kephart in 115W8 at around 62 Rc and will be running my AEB-L version at 61Rc. No reason to use that 0170-6/50-110B/1095 CV that soft.
Honestly, I am NOT the expert when it comes to steel. I know I like the 1095CV but gosh that's just from me derping around, it's not a scientific conclusion by any means. I got the spec off of the Ka-Bar website.

It appears to be fairly common for these knife companies to leave steel what I ad other custom makers would consider to be a tad "soft." I would like to be able to get some of that steel to play with, but it started off as a proprietary steel made by Sharon and when they went under, the steel became generally unavailable to anyone who wasn't having it made for their own use. It was also the "original recipe" Cold Steel Carbon V. I have an early Master Hunter, so I have at least knife in that steel, but the edge on that blade is like 40 thousands at the top of the edge bevel, so sharpened pry bar territory by my standards. Can't tell much from that.
Honestly, I am NOT the expert when it comes to steel. I know I like the 1095CV but gosh that's just from me derping around, it's not a scientific conclusion by any means. I got the spec off of the Ka-Bar website.

I was under the impression that 1095 (not sure about 1095CV?) has an embrittlement zone around 60 hrc and that for this reason it is best run at 58 or below or at 62 or higher. Most Kabar knives are made to be used and abused including chopping, batoning and some prying so it makes sense that they would lean towards the softer side. Again, not sure if 1095CV behaves the same?

The poster lost me when he called someone a "snowflake".

He may know what he is talking about or he may not, I am not sure. I do know that I find his communication style inflammatory and he comes across to me as a keyboard commando so I wouldn't take too much of what he says seriously.

He seems way more interested in telling somebody how wrong they are than he is in sharing knowledge or educating someone. Pretty normal stuff in the YouTube comments section unfortunately.

He may know what he is talking about or he may not, I am not sure. I do know that I find his communication style inflammatory and he comes across to me as a keyboard commando so I wouldn't take too much of what he says seriously.

He seems way more interested in telling somebody how wrong they are than he is in sharing knowledge or educating someone. Pretty normal stuff in the YouTube comments section unfortunately.

Pretty much where I was at with it . Once you resort to name-calling, I'm out. It's a weak way of arguing Not inflammatory at all.

Fun and informative video! Thanks for taking the time and effort to share Captain Airyca.
(btw, couldn't help but give a little attitude-check to that keyboard Einstein in your comments :rolleyes:)

I can't swear that Kephart's personal knife wasn't slightly different in size or handle girth etc ...

but from my understanding the Colclesser Brother's knives were copies of Horace's personal knife ... and the knife Ethan based the BK62 on is from one of the Colclesser brothers knives which he came to own ...

I think it was just someone trying to inject themselves into your review ...

I don't believe anything you said or posted was "wrong" in the way that was meant ... slightly different particulars I don't think make a difference in this context ... even if that is true ...

some just can't leave well enough alone ... I enjoyed your review and wouldn't worry that you mislead anyone in anyway ... it is a well made and well thought out review from someone that did some research and gave a very honest straight forward review ...

thank you for doing it :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back