BK9 compared to 12" Onatario machete

Thank you for the replies.

You guys answered my question. I will pass on getting the BK9. I already have the 12" Ontario machete and a BK2 so it sounds like I wouldn't be gaining anything with the BK9.

Thanks again,
Collecter

I have a 12 inch Ontario economy version and it is pretty much my favorite blade based on quality,versatility and value.
It is not the absolute do everything blade but it handles everything I have tried and more without any problems.
I don't have a BK9 but I much prefer the Ontario over the Condor Rodan that I do own.

Sometimes I get the urge to buy a new knife, usually it's an impulse, and I learned that unless I can hold it and examine it I better think hard before spending the money.

It's too easy to buy something and then find out that it's not any nicer or better than what I already have.

Thanks again,
Collecter

hmmm, i'm gonna throw some gas into the fire here. My BK9 SLAYS wood , could be the sharp edge, could be my massive arms powering it thru, don't know. I have a machete or two, and yet i prefer the BK9

you best buy both. If you dont like the BK9 for chopping, you will have a WICKED blade for the kitchen and camp.

hmmm, i'm gonna throw some gas into the fire here. My BK9 SLAYS wood , could be the sharp edge, could be my massive arms powering it thru, don't know. I have a machete or two, and yet i prefer the BK9

you best buy both. If you dont like the BK9 for chopping, you will have a WICKED blade for the kitchen and camp.

Yar, Bushy. Yar. Get'em both. Bet you love the BK9 more though:D

Moose

I have had both, though never tested them against each other. The Ontario is convexed, but didn't chop particularly well (for a machete). The BK-9 chops far better than would be expected from it's weight, truth be told as far as chopping goes, they are probably very similiar. I would say the BK-9 is a much nicer knife, however. It also slices well and works well for batoning.

The BK-9 isn't as long, but it is helped by the fact that the edge is much thinner than the Ontario, so the difference isn't as big as might be expected.

The machete is fine for light vegetation, but for the wood here in the Rockies, the BK9 is my choice every time, no comparison.

Yes, I have both.

I've been perfectly satisfied with the 12" machete and smaller knife (BK2) but you how we all get a little bored with the same old stuff. Now I'm wondering if I should get an Esee 5 or 6 but my BK2 is perfectly adequate.

Meaning you're muscling/forcing the blade through the wood?
All it takes me is a flick of the wrist to bury it just as deep. :p

I do have to admit, the BK9 is better in the kitchen though!

Last edited:
I had the Ontario Camper machete and was NOT impressed with it at all. I'd take a big knife over that one any day of the week.

I had my Kabar Cutlass machete out last week and it's so much better than the Ontario Camper that there is no comparison.

Back