BK9 on the way

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Found a nice price on a BK9 in the exchange, and with micarta handles to boot. After trying out a few other Beckers, it's probably about time I got the king to add to the collection. I'm excited. It's a size I like a lot for trail maintenance tasks, combined with a silky big boy, and pruners... occasionally even busting out the full-size axe to build trail features out of downed trees. And they're just fun for when I want to go beat on some deadfall in the backwoods for some enthusiastic exercise.

That is all.

While I wait, here are pics of some other beckers I've had.
G7C88jml.jpg

2OYVFdQl.jpg

fD4Gn0fl.jpg

iternR6l.jpg

Great knife, congrats. I prefer it over the 4, but, to be fair, if I had the 4 first, and was more acquainted with it, I may have liked it better.

Something about the 4 just never sat well for my uses. It seems like it bounced back a lot more than other chopping weighted knives I've had. To be fair, I chop into a lot of dry wood because that's usually what tends to fall, especially the ash trees from the ash borers and then vines. Batoned like a champ and was a lot of fun around the camp site, but I think it was a little too curved for my limited accuracy when using as a machete.

We have a ridiculous amount of vines in SE Michigan, much to my surprise when I moved over here. Rarely saw anything in West and Northern Michigan, darn near a jungle in the summer at the local mtb trail I've started to help maintain the past couple years. And those darn vines kill a lot of trees too, so usually I end up cutting out the vines just to get into the wood to saw it up.

It took me a long time to get one of these because of getting the 4 first, and then some different brands in similar sizes to the 9 so it felt like having a duplicate. But I haven't stopped keeping my eye out there. I think it says something when you rarely see a used one for sale, knowing a lot get sold.

The 9 is a do-it-all, must-have knife in your arsenal.

fkmqK9Z.jpg

I think that's the thing that led me to looking, "it's a must have," even if you have other things that are like it. And it's not bad looking either, compared to my 911 (another nice, do-it-all).

It arrived and I got about 10 minute into chopping and splitting up some cedar for some rough finish planks for a potential "woodsy shelf" thing I'm looking at putting together from some salvaged cedar from blow overs. I at least had enough chance to get it dirty, but didn't get any action pics so these tamer ones will have to do. I likey, and the micarta scales are a nice touch over the plastic, which I just don't care for as much. And it came with the remora.

gIPTcfHl.jpg

8m1nJpGl.jpg

Bu9VVIEl.jpg

Cool beans man, glad it came in, and you enjoy it. That 9 is one hell of a good blade. :thumbsup:

It's going to fit in nicely I think.
I think it's a hell of a bargain. Chops great for it's size/weight. Have batonned tons of wood with mine.

Did over an hour of work with the BK9 and a bahco taking a 6ft high brush pile down to 2 ft. What a fantastic landscaping tool. I wear some very thin leather gloves, mechanix fast fit with thin leather palms so I get decent dexterity still but better abrasion resistance than the synthetic materials I've tried, and not a single hot spot.

I think it's time to start listing some of my other big knives for sale. Not because they're bad, they's just not as good. Certainly proved itself to be a working tool.

Last edited:
Back