Black 4" assisted or auto - quality vs affordability

OK, I've been eyeing a Pro Tech TR-4 or Godfather SWAT for a while now. I hear lots about the quality, but I've never actually handled one. And they're expensive, for me anyway.
Then I saw the new Launch 6 which looks a like the TR-4, so maybe it's a good substitute. I have a Launch 1 and it's nice. But the 6 is too new. I've been waiting for a used one to come up and no luck.
SO, I'm looking around today, killing my Memorial Day weekend, and I see the CRKT Fire Spark in black, which (again, in my eyes) looks similar to both the above knives but is about half the price. Again, never handled any of these.
SO, rather than wait for M-Tech to make one for $15, if they don't already, and bearing in mind the oft quoted adage "you get what you pay for", what do you guys think is the best bang for the buck? It won't be used hard, just office and home stuff, so my life doesn't depend on it. Can the Fire Spark hold a candle to the Pro Tech or Launch?

Never handled the crkt, but have a Launch 1 & 3 and a TR-3 manual and an auto. The Launches can't hold a candle to the Pro Tech. It's not even close.
The problem I've found with the Launches is the spring is not under tension for the full length of travel. It's only engaged for about half of it. When firing, if the spine of the blade is not pointing straight up the blade 'bounces' off the stop pin and the lock will not engage. Got cut pretty good before I realized what was happening. This happens with both of mine and they were bought brand new. Haven't carried or used them much at all.....now both springs have broken. Not happy with them at all.
The Pro Tech's, on the other hand, are amazing! They fire harder and lock up every time!!
Huge difference bro!
If I were you, I'd save up and get a Pro Tech. I found my auto on the Exchange and got it for $130.
Good luck!
Joe

Wow. Not good. I haven't had those issues with my Launch, but I don't use it very much. It DOES fire hard, and if BOTH knives of yours have broken springs (and it's not like an assisted where you have a thumb stud), I think I'll take your advice and wait for the Pro Tech instead of the Launch 6. BUT the CRKT's are selling new for $50, so it's very tempting. I can probably get a used one down the road for $35-$40. Anyone on here have one to report on?

The TR-4 is nice. I have one carbon damascus and I have been seeing some of them lately with CPM-D2 blades which I really want to get! They are good quality and feel great in the hand, great finger choil too.

Back