• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

black butcher

hello guys and girls,

I have just finished this knife.
there are many photos, mostly because I am a poor photographer - with a phone camera.

this time, blade shape (classic butcher / hunter design rooted in middle ages) inspired me to make a curvy and compact, beefy looking knife.
how do you do that in a knife that is 8" overall - without making it cramped or compromising the functionality / elegance?
well, a thick, deeply carved brass bolster, textured and blackened - combined with heavily sculpted ebony (rich in brown and black streaks) allowed me to do just that (naturally, embedded in a fine flowing silhouette).
I wanted it to look both old school and modern.
knife is very comfortable in hand, though it is a bit heavy.

*I hope you do not mind me writing down these few lines, but I reckon it is alright to share with you the 'sweet pain' of what goes on before the knife is made, while it is made, why it is the way it is. god knows I have a lot of time to think about it since most of the work is done by hand - one can only roughly shape on a grinder, before moving on with files, sandpaper and micromotor.

blade is forged by finnish smith antti makinen in 0.7C tool steel (comparable to 1070) and tempered to about 59hrc.
dimensions:
3.5" x 0.85" x 0.25"

handle in ebony with brass bolster.
tang is peened over countersunk deer antler washer.
handle is 4.5" long.

sheath in 0.15" thick vegetable tanned leather, wet formed and beeswax impregnated.

price is 265USD shipped to your door.

I am open to questions and suggestions.

stay safe,
mile

Wow, that's beautiful ! Love the design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice lines, nice write up, nice knife. Very tempting. Thankful some one else jumped on it. Keep up the good work.

Mitch

thanks guys, I appreciate it. I am happy with how it turned out, especially the texturing / patina color.
'black butcher' is spf.

Back