Blackening Stainless Steel Sword Fittings

horseclover

Basic Member
PY9ZZi4.jpg

pgXXscF.jpg

AxqUR89.jpg

LzHJ26F.jpg

Some years ago, I found a second hand Hanwei Mortuary sword. These were offered as antiqued as well but my find was matte finished stainless fittings. I purchased some Caswell Stainless Blackening and the results are shown above. With only rudimentary cleaning and not particularly looking to make it look perfect, I found the result quite nice for my purposes.

However. you may note what looks like a bit of coppery vs rust and that is exactly the color. The solution is about 10% hydrocloric acid with a copper sulfate acting in deposition.

Looking around today regarding a jewelry silver project, I had tried the Caswell I have and may use it again (scrubbed it off in the first cuff experiment).

Today's words are telluride minerals!

True black vs the copper in the Caswell solution.

Anyway, I have seen some very deep black glossy finishes with the Caswell but it looks like the Jax may be the better mousetrap for a deep black matte finish.

Not a tale of woe but exploration and Jax may find a shelf of my liquids. Not just for the cuff project but for blackening most anything.

Cheers
GC

I was going to use matte black model enamel but not now , while still needing tiny brushes. A paper clip isn't doing the job ;)

Back