Blade hardness?

I recently acquired a Kabar 1217 USMC knife and was pleased to find the blade steel harder than my older Ontario model 498.

My query is,are the vintage Camillus "kabar" knives the same hardness as the Ontario(I'm assuming they are because they are both made to Milspecs)or are they harder like the Kabar?Any and all help much appreciated.

You might want to read this thread from the Ontario sub-form. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/okcs-sp-series-1095-switch-to-1075-steel.1592721/
It may not apply directly to your question as you asked in regards to comparing Camillus Government contract knives to Ontario.
One question you might ask Ontario is does the present offering of the Ontario model 498 still comply with the Government specification for the MIL-DTL-20277. (?) My hunch is that is does.
At sometime before closing Camillus was using a double quench system to temper their high carbon steel blades. I don't know if this process was applied to their Government contract blades.
Hopefully someone here may be able to address that question. I can think of someone who would likely know.

You might want to read this thread from the Ontario sub-form. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/okcs-sp-series-1095-switch-to-1075-steel.1592721/
It may not apply directly to your question as you asked in regards to comparing Camillus Government contract knives to Ontario.
One question you might ask Ontario is does the present offering of the Ontario model 498 still comply with the Government specification for the MIL-DTL-20277. (?) My hunch is that is does.
At sometime before closing Camillus was using a double quench system to temper their high carbon steel blades. I don't know if this process was applied to their Government contract blades.
Hopefully someone here may be able to address that question. I can think of someone who would likely know.

Hi Sactroop,
Thankyou for the info much appreciated.
Ontario says the 498 does comply with Mil specs and is unlikely to change.

I love my ol' Ontario,like the newer Kabar with the high grind as well,but I have a soft spot
for the Camillus,as this was the first knife I had many years ago in the green machine.

Thanks again:thumbsup:

Back