• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Blade HQ In stock/out of stock

Honestly, it seems to me that there are a pretty small number of retailers before they drop into obscurity.
BHQ
Knifcenter
PVK
DLT Trading
After that, they get "weird". I don't think BHQ is bad, I just wish they'd adjust that one thing. Though it seems funny that such a big outfit can't keep more in stock.

I love their site, Matter a fact my favorite as far as website quality, So easy to filter by "in stock" Easy to filter for USA made only, Blade style, Material and so on. I wish other sites would copy them..

As far as shipping response and taxing their sales no so much. There are many retailers online that ship out of state with no tax and i go there first..

Gpknives, house of blades and a few others..

Last edited:
Honestly, it seems to me that there are a pretty small number of retailers before they drop into obscurity.
BHQ
Knifcenter
PVK
DLT Trading
After that, they get "weird". I don't think BHQ is bad, I just wish they'd adjust that one thing. Though it seems funny that such a big outfit can't keep more in stock.

There are way more retailers that are good than what you mention. In fact, the only one on your list I like is PVK, the other 3 are just “ok”.

NPT NPT Thanks for sharing your feedback! As some other users have pointed out, our website does automatically sort all of the items that are currently in stock to the top of whatever mix of searches, categories, or filters you may have selected when browsing our website. However, I do recognize the value in being able to filter items that aren't in stock out of your search results. I have passed this feedback onto our IT team and if all goes well this may be a feature available on our website in the future.

Let us know what else we can do to help!

- BHQ

a while ago i wrote about BHQ "BAD" and got a response from a moderator that this was "not done",my thought was BHQ got some special protection from BLADEFORUMS orat least that moderator!i say it again,BHQ is bad,there are SO many fantastic retailers you don't need BHQ.
I’m curious, was that response from a Moderator done in private?

I ask because I looked through the thread you started and I’m not seeing the special protection you mention.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladehq-smells.1743680/

I
Not really. I know about and use the notification feature, too. IIRC, I've not gotten a notification that anything on my list is in stock.

I have twice, once I was able to order the knife, which they immediately canceled my order then sent me a coupon fir the ENTIRE value of the knife!!! The second time, I clicked within one second, it was not available. I called to be certain and they said it was a restocking glitch and gave me another $5 coupon... I would have rather had the knife, but surely can't complain, nobody else has done that, ever. That being said, they charge tax and have no rewards, costing me an extra 20% approximately per transaction... As usual, as Master Mick says, You can't always get whatchya want....

I

I have twice, once I was able to order the knife, which they immediately canceled my order then sent me a coupon fir the ENTIRE value of the knife!!! The second time, I clicked within one second, it was not available. I called to be certain and they said it was a restocking glitch and gave me another $5 coupon... I would have rather had the knife, but surely can't complain, nobody else has done that, ever. That being said, they charge tax and have no rewards, costing me an extra 20% approximately per transaction... As usual, as Master Mick says, You can't always get whatchya want....
As far as shipping goes, anything auto usually gets upgraded free of charge to 2 day from Nevada while anything else usually snails it from Voiginya...
That being said, it's always a nice surprise when I order from everyone else, including here, I get a notice it has been shipped by the time I wake up the next day... if only they offered rewards.... it would at least cancel out the tax, which really sucks being they are out of state, but I can't blame them for being so big they qualify for new tax schemes, no taxation without representation, Nevada and Virginia don't represent me... many other sites keep older sold out knives, but you MUST have the link as they don't appear in any searches from the site... that is FAAAAR more annoying than being teased...

I look for good knives when they go on clearance. In stock discontinued are bargains i enjoy. Usually a knife i wanted but the price kept me from buying. It’s all a lot of fun for sure.
Swedish and Finish puukka’s have been a huge bargain. I think i have one in every vehicle i own and in several drawers around the house. 4 autos plus two motorcycles all covered if i need a quick blade and the one in my pocket just won’t do.
DN

BHQ has certainly proven to be a very good and quite unique database for knives...

Every "Sort by" option I apply on BHQ automatically pushes all the out of stock items to the end of the list, where they're easy to ignore.

Personally I like their approach of not deleting older items because their knife info is useful to me when I'm looking at models on the secondary market, etc.
That’s not always the case. After narrowing a search with “sort by”, I have had a few searches that in-stock knives show up after a couple pages of out of stock items.

I love gpknives but it should be added to this list as well. I have to go through pages after pages of out of stock items in order to find one that is in stock.

BHQ doesn't automatically sort by "in stock/out of stock" If you sort by rating for example the list it shows is flooded with out of stock items right off the bat. It's silly to say "oh it's no big deal. I like it, blah blah blah." There is literally no other site in the world that does this. If you want to leave them in great, but it's not hard at all to make a filter that removes items that are out of stock. You don't go into grocery stores needing to sort through pictures of items that they have carried sometime in the last 30 years do you? It's simply poor web design. It's insane that they don't fix it. Its pointless and irritating. What's really confusing is that the site is pretty simple and straightforward in it's design and is fairly intuitive to navigate. But that out of stock "feature".... I just cant wrap my head around why its been that way for so long.

Reactions: NPT
Funny, though. As annoying as it is, I think BHQ is a pretty good site. Worse by FAR is Blowes and HD. Those 2 sites are pretty much completely useless. You can't trust at ALL when they tell you how many they have in stock.

I also like that it holds the not in stock items. It a good reference at times.

Back