Blade length?

Hello - I'm wondering how blade length affects flipping, especially in the larger sizes. I know, that between my blades either ~4" or ~3" I prefer to flip the around 4" blades. They give a little more handle and spin. But I'm very curious about going even larger, how do 5" and even 6" blades flip? Does it just become to cumbersome? Or what?

Thanks!

The larger knives can get quite heavy, i.e., B-S, PCC, BM customs....They have plenty of inertia, once they're set in motion, and will pinch the be-jesus out of you!:eek: They take a little getting used to, especially after carrying a 42s with the latch cut off....:)

The aluminum S.W.A.T. is a great compromise between length and weight and swings well, IMHO, for a 5" bali. The same thing with the brass handles is real heavy and I'm not very enamored with it; too lazy I guess..........

I've got an extra large Turnbull (6 1/2") latchless, flame-bladed bali and it's a brute! Those handles really come around and you want to be sure there are no appendages in the way!!!

In my experience, I like the 4" balis the best with the 3"-3 1/2" a close second....

nybble: You can play with my 5" BM customs and find out for yourself... They do swing a bit slower in the beginning, but once they get going, they really really move.

Dawkind - awright, you gotta post a picture of that Turnbull! Is it a double edged flame blade?

Tony - I'm diein, can't wait. See what all the hype is about. I'll trade you my special bm42 for your BM latchless custom Scimitar? :)

Crosman - would you rather be flipping a 4" or a 5"?

Nybble: I would have to say 4".:cool: I feel more comfitable with it not to heavy and nicer feel to it.:)

How does someone handle one of those "bali-swords?"
Well, if it was me - after hearing all the tales of how dangerous they are - it would be with great fear and trepidation.

Someone with one of them swords still needs to put up a video!!

Swords aside, one of my problems with large balisongs - (and folders in general) is that the handle size - it keeps getting bigger - the ~4" size is perfect for my hands. I worry that as it gets bigger, it'll start just being a silly amount of handle.

These are only good as collectible items. I would not attempt to even flip one of these. These are dangerous since they weigh 3 pounds or so if you get pinched either on the safe handle or bite handle you will endling up seriously hurting your hand either losing it or breaking it. Inertia+Momentoim+weight=Dangerous.:D

I think the 5" older customs handle well actually. I admit with all the newer (and mostly lighter) stuff coming out they seem cumbersome for a few seconds now..., but still a very nice knife in any profile.

I've only handled two 6" customs <ever>.., and never owned one made in the old PCC/BM Custom Shop, but they felt a little clunky to me, even being used to the heavier B-SC/PCC models of yester-year.

I'm sure glad to see so many intelligent comments about "Baliswords".., because they truly are very dangerous to handle without lots of experience. Even a totally dull blade can break a couple of fingers if you get caught in the channels. I've mentioned once that I have a friend that is very good with Baliswords.., but also has years of training with swords, and is amazing with Balisongs as well.

For those of you going.., Chuck will do a demonstration of some Balisword techniques at the Oregon Show...(April 20 & 21). If I'm not mistaken the show opens for the local Association and dealer/distributors on Friday the 19th at noon (correct me if I'm wrong Chuck). Very cool show.., and lots of Balisongs!!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Back