Blade of Woe

3v steel, thick spine, sharp edges on the spine for firesteel and convex edge for durability. 8 inch blade and 5 inch black micarta or wood with stitched leather wrapped handle. This blade will be a good all purpose knife.

Scaling the grip part of that image to 4", put the blade just over 10". I grabbed a piece of A2 for this. I've got some terotuf for the handle core under the leather.

ron finkbeiner jr ron finkbeiner jr OK Ron, this crazy thing is happening. I call it "THAT'S NOT A CHOIL"!
I did a rough profile out of an 18" x 2" x 1/4" piece of A2.
It is pretty huge, but there is just enough left over for the guard.
The pommel and tang are threaded and screw together (obviously the pommel still needs to be shaped).
I will do a terotuf core with leather covering for the handle.
The images I could find have a few little kinks along the profile, so I smoothed those.
I'm debating one design adjustment. What do you think about sharpening the clip?
First image is from the game, second is my progress.
FUQthIn.jpg

LcAOseZ.jpg

Last edited:
ron finkbeiner jr ron finkbeiner jr OK Ron, this crazy thing is happening. I call it "THAT'S NOT A CHOIL"!
The pommel and tang are threaded and screw together (obviously the pommel still needs to be shaped).
The images I could find have a few little kinks along the profile, so I smoothed those.
I debating one design adjustment. What do you think about sharpening the clip?
FUQthIn.jpg

LcAOseZ.jpg
That looks pretty cool. How did you get the pommel and tang to screw together in the right alignment?

The chunk of mild steel for the pommel is 0.625" thick. I cut the big hole with a 1-1/4" hole saw. Then I bored into the edge with a 21/64" drill which is specified for the 3/8-24 tap. The tang is only 0.25 thick, so when rounded at 0.37 to do the threads, it's actually oval. It still screws in securely and I will fill it in with JB Weld for good measure. I just need to tweak the length of the handle core so that it goes on tight and in-plane with the blade. It randomly bottoms out in the threads that way.

I debating one design adjustment. What do you think about sharpening the clip?
FUQthIn.jpg

LcAOseZ.jpg
Do it brudda!

I'm debating one design adjustment. What do you think about sharpening the clip?
FUQthIn.jpg

LcAOseZ.jpg
If you want to bowie the blade out then that's fine too.

Last edited:
The blade and guard are A2, the pommel is mild steel. Stay tuned, I'll likely finish the grind this week.

ron finkbeiner jr ron finkbeiner jr OK, I guess the next post will be the completed knife.
I did the guard fit-up, then flat ground the blade leaving 0.04" edge thickness which I will blend and convex to sharp after heat treat.
It lost a lot of weight and came to life in the grinding.
Then I sharpened the clip. Not sure why I questioned doing that. It was a huge upgrade, doesn't alter the profile, but looks way better.
It's off to the the post office now to go out for heat treat.
ozbgjY5.jpg

5orTGqV.jpg

S6z44kI.jpg

Back