Blade Reviews for the Good Knife Co.

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
ATTENTION: Pictures below may contain the cutting of animals for the purposes of obtaining food from a dead animal.

As my knives start getting out in the world and used more by friends and family along with acquaintances from bladeforums, I will start posting some of the people's comments here along with pictures. Identities will be kept private unless stated otherwise.

I will do my best to keep these posts honest but be aware that I'm likely going to have some bias towards the positive because I believe my knife designs are good and worth the prices I ask, especially when considering they're made by a fine knifemaker like JK Handmade Knives.

Pictures start below, so if butchering animals makes you squeamish, this thread may not be for you and there are still some ad hoc talk about the designs in my collaboration thread. I design outdoor knives and hunting is one of the activities I design for.

Thank you all for reading and I hope to build some good, concentrated content here. Feel free to post in here as well if you've had the opportunity to try one and have some thoughts you would like to share. I ask that we try to keep the chatter limited here so that it's easier to get right to the reviews and comments.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm going to start this out with some reviews I received from both my twin brother and my younger brother as they used the sick nasty for cleaning game. My twin runs a hobby farm with his wife and kids and they butchered a rabbit while my younger brother, who is scheduled to start with the DNR this summer, was butchering a deer.

My twin used the prototype version with the straighter handle, as you will see in the pictures below, and my younger brother used the Sick Nasty rental knife with the finalized design.

Both have loved the knife for slicing and butchering. They really enjoyed the control over the edge and the ability to put the blade where you wanted it. One big pro or con of the tip is that while it does have a point, it's not the best at piercing. My twin brother noted that it made it hard to start getting into the hide on the rabbit but once the cut was started it was great. My younger brother did not make the same comment, possibly because the deer has a lot more area to make an incision to get the process started.

My younger brother thought it was a great skinning knife with the long edge and limited point so getting the hide off the deer was a breeze. The handle was very secure and comfortable during the process and the lack of blade length was not a hindrance.
bmB9Ndfl.jpg

1v9zNKPl.jpg

RPqFrgsl.jpg

6pHX2syl.jpg

For butchering rabbits, my twin brother commented that the recurve portion worked well for cutting flesh like skin and the belly area. He pulled the skin off pretty cleanly as you can see in the 2nd picture below. The heel of the blade was also great for cutting around the joints and breaking the ankles to remove the feet. He uses the whole hide to help train his beagle.
EDGK1xtl.jpg

iFbvSrhl.jpg

HUdGrh0l.jpg

X4US1ajl.jpg

Last edited:
When I look at both models game processing is the first thing that comes to mind. I'm a bit surprised there was difficulty piercing the hide of a rabbit. A rabbit is normally very easy to process because the hide is not as tough as other game animals. Overall a great review.

When I look at both models game processing is the first thing that comes to mind. I'm a bit surprised there was difficulty piercing the hide of a rabbit. A rabbit is normally very easy to process because the hide is not as tough as other game animals. Overall a great review.

I think this was in comparison to his normal knife, but he never told me what it was. Since I've used the knife as well, I'm going to just add that the high tip on it with the different blade shape takes a little getting used to using the tip vs something like a buck 110 which is what he and grew up using with our stepdad. I found that if you use the knife upside down so that the tip is on the low side, it feels more natural stabbing things, almost like poking things with a wharncliffe. But, it's a slicer and not a poke by design and many hunting knives are better pokers, but this is a better skinner.

My younger bro is supposed to try it on some fish and let me know as I've been asked a few time how it would work, and I honestly don't know because it's far different from fillet or bird & trout knife and I'm not sure if that's good or bad in that circumstance. He had a mess of perch from ice fishing during the week but not sure if he cleaned him or my stepdad.

Back