Blade Show 2015

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Big Chris Custom Knives will definitely be in attendance at Blade in Atlanta from Friday June 5th to Sunday June 7th at table 15D.
Mrs.Big Chris will be flying down to spend the weekend with me with our new baby. She (the new baby that we do not know for sure is a girl) will be 8 weeks old at the time. Please stop by to say hello and have a look at what I will have to offer. I currently have about 6 knives started for the show and none finished with two or three more that I want to start and finish. As things happen to progress I will try to keep this thread updated with a very informal WIP. I have some very nice wood from Faron Moore as well as some homemade micarta from a customer that I really like.

Congrats to the new kiddo! Keep up the hard work and family will repay you (in diapers) :D

I'm also curious if you would possibly "offer" some of those Blade show knives for sale prior the show, sell them, and still take them to the show as display knives that you would be willing to rebuild for customers.. Or the other way around, show off what is possible for a duplicate... :)

Later!

Congrats to the new kiddo! Keep up the hard work and family will repay you (in diapers) :D

I'm also curious if you would possibly "offer" some of those Blade show knives for sale prior the show, sell them, and still take them to the show as display knives that you would be willing to rebuild for customers.. Or the other way around, show off what is possible for a duplicate... :)

Later!

Thanks, Mrs.Big Chris's co-workers just had a diaper party for her and got about 3ish months worth of diapers and close to 3000 wipes. They were very generous.

You never know what is possible with preview sales. In this thread I am going to try to chronicle the majority of my builds. I am shooting for about 12 to 15 "Show" knives with several others if I get so lucky as to sell out. I am not against displaying "SOLD" knives at the show.

I already have 3 knife fully finish sanded and the blades taped up. They are a Bowie EDC in CPM 154, a Pocket Fighter in CPM 154, and a large Slicer in S110V. These will be getting wood scales.

In this picture is four more that I am working on right now.

sanding.jpg

The three on the left are CTS-XHP steel with tapered tangs and are going to have the flats hand finished.
The blade on the far right is a 1084 Fighter with tapered tang that I plan to fully hand sand to at least 600 and will be getting some very nice Ironwood Burl scales.

Large slicer in s110v? Love to see this one when you get a chance :)

Thanks, Mrs.Big Chris's co-workers just had a diaper party for her and got about 3ish months worth of diapers and close to 3000 wipes.

I'm trying to imaging what a "rager" diaper party would look like? That was tongue in cheek... That's a lot of diapers.

Here are a couple more pics.
One is some of the wood scales I have specifically for Blade Show knives, with a couple more sets not here yet.
The other picture is of a few of the blades post hand sanding waiting for scales to be installed.

scales.jpg

blades.jpg

Large slicer in s110v? Love to see this one when you get a chance :)

sloth, that blade is the one at the top of the blades picture above. It has a 36" hollow ground primary grind and a 12" hollow ground swedge.
It is going to be getting the Gallery Grade Rosewood Burl scales at the bottom of that picture with red G10 liners.

I also plan to break back out the leather tools for a couple of these knives, specifically for the fighter and the S110V slicer.

Yikes! That will be quite the piece! Hard to see the swedge, but it must be subtle. Hope you post final pics of those before or during the show.

Later

Looking forward to the WIP pics. I'm sure some of us would be happy to "sponsor" a table knife of you did a pre-sale.

Thanks Guys. There will hopefully be lots more pictures to come. I spent a couple hours last night and this morning flattening scales and liners to prep for glue up. About 15 scales done and a half dozen or more to go.

Blade and Flame, I would not mind some "sponsoring" of table knives. I would love to be able to go to the show and have a bunch of "SOLD" knives on my table.

Been CRAZY busy around here with the new baby and Blade Show prep.
I have finished completely my first knife for the show.

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

It is my Pocket Fighter in CPM 154. I went outside my normal finishing techniques for several knives this year and did some hand sanded finishes. This one I only took to 280 as I really want for it to be used and loved. Let me know what you think.

I have 7 more knives that I am finishing the handles on still have to make some leather sheaths for.
Leather work is the part I am really dreading.
I will get some pictures of these as they are finished.

That pocket fighter might be one of my favorite of your blade profiles so far! Love the long swedge. Handle looks great as always - what is the material?

That pocket fighter might be one of my favorite of your blade profiles so far! Love the long swedge. Handle looks great as always - what is the material?

Thanks dogrunner.

It is a composite of G10 and Carbon Fiber.

I got it at Blade last year and hope to snag more this year.

I have 6 more knives finished that I need to get pictures of to show here.
All that is left for them is to get some leather cut and sewn together.

Back