Blade Show 2019

Once again TSA compliant...back to boring regular life ;)

20190610_075938.jpg

Blade show was great, rather meeting the CPK crew was awesome!( that's what happens when you go to a knife show with 2 non knife friends, barely an hour there and then the whining began. Let's not even talk about the caterwauling that started when they saw what I was willing to spend- any more, and I would have been involuntarily committed)
My self control on the forum sales paid off when I got all that I wanted directly from the CPK crew( that's noble speak for my typing speed sucks during the sales). Kissed the ring, drooled over the dagger( too big to steal and too fat to run away with it)
Now coming to the HDMC, the thing is a brute(dibs on calling mine Brutus). No one needs no Excalibur, you know the sword in the stone thingy, if you have a HDMC. But if you insist and you cant pull the sword out, the HDMC is more than capable of splitting the stone. If anyone is wondering about the sharpness of the blade, this is how the conversation went back at the apartment...guys please be careful, the knife is sharp. 30 secs later (squealing from a nicked finger) " I just touched the tip, I just touched the tip, I did not even press on it" (Insert bawdy joke here)
Hopefully next year, I ditch my friends and go to Blade alone

Nice write. Glad you had a good time. Hopefully Jo sends the dagger to my house this week. It was only for show and not for sale since I called Dibs on it. :cool:
Hopefully one day I’ll make it down there. But I’ve been saying this for 20 years and still haven’t gone. It looks like a blast.

I would have to go alone. I don’t think I could handle traveling with any of the friends that I have that truly appreciate knives. And it’s probably a “It’s not you, it’s me” type of thing that I haven’t acknowledged.

It does look like a good time.

Once again TSA compliant...back to boring regular life ;)

20190610_075938.jpg

Coming home with new knives and not being able to have them, on your person, is just plain traumatic. But, losing a grail to TSA would be worse.

When I forgot to remove my little Swiss Army key ring knife, they gave me the choice of running back and mailing it to myself, which I have done with more significant knives, or losing it. I told the agent that he should keep it for himself. He said that they were not allowed to and would most likely throw it away. What a waste! Mike

That’s what your new sword is for. Charging the pit and clearing a 20’ diameter circle around Abby! Mike

Fathers and their daughters; I have my own mini-me!

Poor Nathan! Will have to deal with HS, prom, dates, BFs + COLLEGE (sorry, forgot to add since Abby seems very smart and her Mommy/Daddy are very driven!)... No amount of weapons will deter Nature! Princess Abby will substantially add to Nathan's already greying mane :p

Last edited:
Coming home with new knives and not being able to have them, on your person, is just plain traumatic. But, losing a grail to TSA would be worse.

When I forgot to remove my little Swiss Army key ring knife, they gave me the choice of running back and mailing it to myself, which I have done with more significant knives, or losing it. I told the agent that he should keep it for himself. He said that they were not allowed to and would most likely throw it away. What a waste! Mike

Argh! Mike! You need a valet to take you to the airport. I'm avail for chauffeuring and valeting :)

They don't throw them away. They resell them at auction .. by the 55 gallon plastic drum full. Not kidding.

Blade show was great, rather meeting the CPK crew was awesome!( that's what happens when you go to a knife show with 2 non knife friends, barely an hour there and then the whining began. Let's not even talk about the caterwauling that started when they saw what I was willing to spend- any more, and I would have been involuntarily committed)
My self control on the forum sales paid off when I got all that I wanted directly from the CPK crew( that's noble speak for my typing speed sucks during the sales). Kissed the ring, drooled over the dagger( too big to steal and too fat to run away with it)
Now coming to the HDMC, the thing is a brute(dibs on calling mine Brutus). No one needs no Excalibur, you know the sword in the stone thingy, if you have a HDMC. But if you insist and you cant pull the sword out, the HDMC is more than capable of splitting the stone. If anyone is wondering about the sharpness of the blade, this is how the conversation went back at the apartment...guys please be careful, the knife is sharp. 30 secs later (squealing from a nicked finger) " I just touched the tip, I just touched the tip, I did not even press on it" (Insert bawdy joke here)
Hopefully next year, I ditch my friends and go to Blade alone

Great story! Yep, one can only attend Blade either alone or with fellow knife addicts.

I happened to be talking to somebody I had just met, and he asked if I was a collector. I said even though I have a fair number of knives, I really don’t consider myself a collector. Before I could finish my sentence, he said, “so your an addict”. It was perfect! Well yes, exactly!:D

I put off Blade for many years. I really don’t like, even though fairly simple, dealing with the logistics of setting up the the trip, the cattle car flights and living out of a hotel. I had the opportunity to go with Matt Gregory a couple of years ago and have been three years in a row now.

Every knife enthusiast has to experience Blade at least once. My advice, if you can swing it, is commit early so that you can easily reserve a room nearby, and get your flights reserved. Then you’re set and don’t have to worry about it. The first two years we were within walking distance. This year Indid decide to go rather late and ended up in a hotel about two miles away. I was a bit worried about transportation, but Uber turned out to be a great way to go. Maybe almost better than walking if your not all that comfortable moving around in the heat and humidity. This year is rained quite a bit so traveling by car was pretty comfortable. Mike

Back