Blade Show Recovery Program - Part 1

prom52

Gold Member
Attendance at Blade Show definitely requires some type of "Step Down" program to allow the mind & body to slowly return to some semblance of "normal". My wife and I had a wonderful opportunity to depart Blade Show and travel together with Phil (Comprehensivist) & his lovely wife Melissa to Highlands, NC for a couple of days R&R. We had the pleasure of staying in a two bedroom cabin at Half Mile Farm. Here is a shot of the main lodge:

IMG_9003_zpsbq8ovccr.jpg

The view from the back porch of the lodge was so relaxing:

IMG_8998_zps3iyuqwoj.jpg

Each of the cabins are actual historic properties that were located & moved to the farm where they serve as rustic accommodations for guests of the farm. Here is a shot of our cabin which was complete w/ outdoor fireplace:

IMG_8985_zpsuzf9tfdf.jpg

The wild Rhododendrons were starting to bloom adding splashes of color throughout the property:

IMG_8994_zpsjjagqghy.jpg

Here is a a shot of our kitchen to give you a sense of the interior:

IMG_8968_zpsocmur7ir.jpg

Speaking of fireplaces, here is a shot of Phil taking the lead on "making fire" which ended up being a bit of a challenge given that our wood supply was a little damp. Let's just say that it took some "unconventional methods" to finally get a blaze going:

IMG_8983_zpsk13pwovl.jpg

Here's another shot of Phil prepping his stash from Blade Show for their glamour shots. The area surrounding our cabin provided for a nice backdrop for knife photos:

IMG_8941_zpsxz7vyrwh.jpg

IMG_8937_zpsb7djczpm.jpg

IMG_8961_zpswelnaepc.jpg

We did manage to eat & drink well during our stay. This was some Maryland Blue Crab Dip that my wife put together, along with a nice Kosta Browne Pinot Noir:

IMG_8962_zpseyqlmlbn.jpg

And then there was breakfast at the lodge:

IMG_9037_zpsrsqdezjh.jpg

After all the food & wine we took advantage of the nearby Cullusaja River Gorge to tour a few waterfalls. Here are some shots near Whitewater Falls which is one of the highest waterfalls on the east coast:

IMG_9011_zps2iwldqly.jpg

IMG_9007_zpsvcufblbd.jpg

Time for a breather after climbing up the stairs from the waterfall viewing platform:

IMG_9010_zpsszaoqz3j.jpg

Needless to say our "Step Down" program was more of a "Step Up" program given the good company of friends, the wonderful accommodations and the great food & wine we were able to share together. It all ended with the hope that we'd be able to do it again sometime in the future.

In closing I'd like to invite Phil to provide Part 2 of our little adventure especially since he was shooting with a real camera, and since this is a knife forum, I'll leave you with one more for good times sake:

IMG_8936_zpsyvx268o6.jpg

Cheers to All,

Peter

Thanks for sharing. We are also looking forward to some downtime in the Appalachian region very soon.

Excellent thread Peter. You sir, have exquisite taste in both life and your choice of friends. I appreciate the pics. It looks like a wonderful time. One of these years Suzanne and I will get down to Blade. Thank you again for the thread.

Looks like you guys had a blast! That is a handsome waterfall and some knives. Did you pick all of those up at Blade?

I hope to go someday.

That Puuko is beautiful :D

I'd like to acknowledge the generosity of Triple T for releasing his call on this knife when it was first posted for sale by the maker to allow me an opportunity to pick it up as a gift for Phil. It's always cool when knives come with a back story. It's gestures like this that makes this a great place to hang out. BTW, the knife has a Shadetree handle......that may help explain things :D

Last edited:
Looks like you guys had a blast! That is a handsome waterfall and some knives. Did you pick all of those up at Blade?

I hope to go someday.

The Fiddleback Drop Point Maverick, the Fletcher Zivug & the Osprey K&T Warthog were all acquired at Blade Show as were most of the knives that Phil had on the table. The puukko that he was holding was acquired pre-blade show from the Fixed Blade thread of Blade Forums. We practically had a real blast when Phil used the liquid fire starter to get our fire going......woosh !

Excellent thread Peter. You sir, have exquisite taste in both life and your choice of friends. I appreciate the pics. It looks like a wonderful time. One of these years Suzanne and I will get down to Blade. Thank you again for the thread.

Thanks for your comments Dave. I consider having Phil as a friend is truly a blessing. Having his wife Melissa as a friend is the icing on the cake. I certainly hope that when you & Suzanne do make it to Blade that we can all get together, as I know you consider him a friend as well.

Wow great photos, love the waterfall and the antique kitchen

The kitchen did have a nostalgic look to it. Aside from the Kuerig coffee maker and the Yeti Hopper,it came pretty close to being antique. Parts of this cabin dated back to the late 1800's. Oh yea, almost forgot about the tankless water heater ;) PS) That waterfall is actually higher than Niagara Falls. What you can't see from this picture is that there were two dudes sitting on the edge of the rock right near the top. No wonder they have multiple fatalities every year with folks trying stunts like this. I'd love to see it dressed out in the fall.

Love this. Getting anywhere near Asheville?

And I agree...TripleT is a top notch guy. Been remarkably generous to me!

Someday - and that day may never come - I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift...

Love this. Getting anywhere near Asheville?

And I agree...TripleT is a top notch guy. Been remarkably generous to me!

We may make a trek through the Asheville area later this summer. If & when we do, I'd look forward to meeting up for sure. Missed meeting you at Trackrock this year. There is always the fall events !

Someday - and that day may never come - I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift...

That's starting to sound a little "Godfatheresque" :eek:

This is what makes the Fiddleback forum special- lots of cool guys. :thumbup:

Peter & Phil,

That looks like some good times!!!!!! I'm jealous. :D

These are my favorites. Fantastic knives!

IMG_8961_zpswelnaepc.jpg

IMG_8936_zpsyvx268o6.jpg

Phillip:

Imagine how great it would be if you & your wife were there along with some of your famous "Pulled Pork" BBQ !

Thanks for your comments......do I sense an allure for blue handled knives ?

Cheers !

Peter

This is what makes the Fiddleback forum special- lots of cool guys. :thumbup:

Thanks Brian......it's all about cool guys & even cooler wives hanging out in cool places with _ _ _ _ knives !

Back