Blade Show Recovery Program - Part 1

Beatifu scenery, cool people, and great knives. Looks like a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing Peter.

Very nice Mr. Peter - that entire area of NC is pretty remarkable. I've spent some time living just north of Highlands in Jackson County, and it is a special place.

I am glad you enjoyed your trip and brought home some very nice steel along with the memories

Fantastic thread Peter. Thanks for sharing.
It was great to finally meet you and Susan at the show.
And yes, that Puukko is super nice!

Take care,
Sergio

looks like a good time and great company!

you think that place could contain the Fiddleback crew after BLADE????:eek:

Very nice Mr. Peter - that entire area of NC is pretty remarkable. I've spent some time living just north of Highlands in Jackson County, and it is a special place.

I am glad you enjoyed your trip and brought home some very nice steel along with the memories

Thanks Danny, your right in target in saying it is a special part if NC. I can only imagine what living there must have been like. Every time we visit the area my wife sighs & tells me "I could live here". It's especially enjoyable due to the stark contrast from Florida.

Fantastic thread Peter. Thanks for sharing.
It was great to finally meet you and Susan at the show.
And yes, that Puukko is super nice!

Take care,
Sergio

Sergio:

Now that I've been to the big show I can honestly say that its the people & the relationships that build up around the common interest in knives that make it such a memorable event. Susan and I enjoyed meeting you & your wife as well, and with a little luck we hope to have an opportunity to hook up next time we're up your way and pop a cork on some nice red wine.

Peter

looks like a good time and great company!

you think that place could contain the Fiddleback crew after BLADE????:eek:

Phillip:

With out a doubt they could handle the whole FB crew. It might involve an enhanced security deposit, and a written affidavit not to go skinny dipping in the lake after midnight, but those are minor details. Now that you mention it, perhaps we should suggest that every VIP ticket holder receive a voucher good for a 2 day step down program at Half Mile Farm or a location of the attendees choosing at future Blade Shows. ;)

Peter

Man, I'm loving this thread. What a fun looking weekend. Perfect idea for a wind down. I already miss you guys.

Phillip:

With out a doubt they could handle the whole FB crew. It might involve an enhanced security deposit, and a written affidavit not to go skinny dipping in the lake after midnight, but those are minor details. Now that you mention it, perhaps we should suggest that every VIP ticket holder receive a voucher good for a 2 day step down program at Half Mile Farm or a location of the attendees choosing at future Blade Shows. ;)

Peter

Exactly my thoughts Peter!
Thanks for the great pictures looks like a terrific time with wonderful people.
I am working on what we discussed I'll pm you later:)

Looks like a perfect place to come down off the rush of Blade. Some excellent pics there Peter, really appreciate the effort of sharing them with us.

Exactly my thoughts Peter!
Thanks for the great pictures looks like a terrific time with wonderful people.
I am working on what we discussed I'll pm you later:)

Thanks Rob, great meeting you as well. As my realtor's business card back in FL reads "Love where you live". I have to say that you are living the dream. We just got an invite in the mail to come back to visit St James Plantation. Not sure if we'll find the time to do so, however, if we do I give you a shout. I appreciate your looking into that referral you spoke with Susan about !

Looks like a perfect place to come down off the rush of Blade. Some excellent pics there Peter, really appreciate the effort of sharing them with us.

My pleasure Bill, I'm glad I got to handle those "miniatures" you picked up from Andy's table before you called them. I think that Phillip has been spending too much time w/ Allen. He's picked up on his photo bomb behavior:

WP_20160603_016_zpsbvxfohxg.jpg

Very nice Peter! One day I will be able to do a Blade recovery program that doesn't include immediately going back to work at twice the normal rate playing catch up for two weeks :)

Very nice Peter! One day I will be able to do a Blade recovery program that doesn't include immediately going back to work at twice the normal rate playing catch up for two weeks :)

Thanks Brian. Glad we got to see you even if it was for a quick handshake. BTW, that was a nice Yuma you picked up from Todd's table. The orange liners really made that handle pop. I managed to snag one of his Yuma's in 3V while visiting his table. It should prove to be a solid hard use knife. BTW, what model sheath do you have on the side of your bottle carrier.....is that a Spec Ops sheath ?

Thanks Brian. Glad we got to see you even if it was for a quick handshake. BTW, that was a nice Yuma you picked up from Todd's table. The orange liners really made that handle pop. I managed to snag one of his Yuma's in 3V while visiting his table. It should prove to be a solid hard use knife. BTW, what model sheath do you have on the side of your bottle carrier.....is that a Spec Ops sheath ?

Yeah, things were nuts this year. I didn't get to see near as many people as I hoped, too much work this year. I hope I have more time next year. I am glad to see Todd experimenting with different steels, I started pushing himn to make me a stainless Yuma in late 2012 or early 2013. It is the stock sheath of a BK&T BK-17, though the same sheath comes with the BK-16 and BK-15. I put one on my bottle carrier years ago after about the third time I parked the truck for one quick photo and then about two hours later found myself miles from the truck and extremely thirsty. So now I always grab the bottle carrier when I get out of the truck for a quick photo. It is how I carried the first Yuma prototype when I was testing it in Florida back in 2012. It actually fits several of my knives, I have carried my Terrasaur that way, and the mid-tech Kephart that way also. I really don't care for these sheaths on the belt, but I love them for their molle capability and for inverted carry on a pack strap.

Love the Highlands. Did you get over to Mountain Fresh Grocery while you were there? They have an amazing breakfast. They also have fresh doughnuts made right there. They are deadly good. Not that I'd ever indulge in those unhealthy nuggets of fried glazed goodness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Love the Highlands. Did you get over to Mountain Fresh Grocery while you were there? They have an amazing breakfast. They also have fresh doughnuts made right there. They are deadly good. Not that I'd ever indulge in those unhealthy nuggets of fried glazed goodness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Yea Buddy, its hard to visit Highlands & not stop by the Mountain Fresh Grocery. Didn't have the doughnuts but did do breakfast & lunch. Even sent a little something back home for a friend to enjoy.

It looks like you all had a great time! What a great way to wind down from blade. That is some beautiful country! It might be an easier sell to get my family out to blade if we added something like that on. Then again, I don't think blade would be that much fun if my wife was watching how many knives I bought. :eek:

Thanks for sharing Peter! Looking forward to Phil's half.

Part 2

After much delay, here is my contribution to this thread.

Even though Peter (prom52) and I had never met in person before the Blade Show, we knew each other pretty well from scores of PM’s on the forum and numerous phone conversations. We discovered that we share a lot of other interests in addition to knives. We knew that our wives had a lot in common too..

Weeks before the Blade Show, Peter and I decided to arrange a two-day trip to Highlands, NC afterwards as a way to thank our wives for indulging us guys the trip to the show and have a chance to relax and unwind. That decision proved to be a good one for all four of us.

We took the longer scenic route whenever possible on the journey up to Highlands. Compared to the drought stricken landscape that Melissa and I are used to in our area of Southern California, we found the lush green landscape with flowing rivers and waterfalls wonderfully beautiful and relaxing.

The historic cabins we rented worked out perfectly for us with a fully equipped kitchen and a nice covered porch that was our favorite evening hangout spot.

After settling in, we explored the picturesque little downtown area that has some nice shops, galleries, restaurants, etc.

Here’s Peter & Susan near where we had dinner one night.

Here’s Melissa and I by an old covered bridge near an art studio we visited.

The main lodge where we stayed featured wine and appetizers in the afternoon. Susan, Melissa, and Peter enjoying a glass on the back porch.

Cheers to a beautiful place and traveling with good friends.

If there was one thing that was constant on our trip, it was lots of laughter as evidenced by Melissa photobombing our toast...

...and Peter laughing at something I said at breakfast.

Each night after enjoying a great dinner in town, we spent the evening hours on the large covered porch complete with wood burning fireplace back at the cabin.

The Inn provided a good sized pile of firewood for us. The first night, Peter and I used our knives to process some kindling and shavings to start the fire. The kindling burned fine, but the main firewood would not catch despite repeated attempts with more kindling. What’s up with this wood anyway? The ladies had fun poking fun at our failure.

I was determined that the second night was going to be different and failure was not an option. I made some contingency plans at a hardware store while we were in town just in case. Peter and I prepped a much bigger tinder and kindling pile for the 2nd night. We got that base burning and added the firewood. Same results as the first night with the wood not catching. Next I resorted to a wad of newspaper and some store bought firestarter rolls. The damn wood still wouldn’t go. I became convinced that the Inn had provided us with Bog Oak firewood freshly pulled from the swamp. I was forced to break out my big gun with the “Bushcrafter’ s Helper” (a.k.a. charcoal lighter fluid.) Oh the shame I know. It was either that or buy a round trip plane ticket for Tod (hasco) to come out with his famous bow drill and show us how it is done. In the end it took several blasts to make the Bog monster give up the ghost and succumb to the flames.

After our survival was thus assured under the “harsh” B&B conditions, we settled into playing a game that Peter challenged us with. It is called the wine cork game. It is played by pinching a wine cork in the web of each of your hands between the thumb and index finger. The goal is to transfer the corks between hands using only the thumb and index finger of the opposite hand without breaking contact with the cork while doing the transfer. I never figured it out. Melissa claimed she did. When she demonstrated her technique, I was worried that Peter and Susan were going to suffocate to death from laughing so hard at the way she was taking liberties with the rules while trying to hide it.

Moving on to some knife related stuff, Peter and I had fun taking photos with some wonderful background choices near the cabin including mossy stumps and a rusty old wood burning stove.

Back in Atlanta when we first met, Peter and I exchanged gifts. It should be no surprise that we chose knives for each other. I gave Peter a special knife from my collection and he gave me a beautiful Malanika Puukko that he knew I always wanted.

At the end of the getaway, we accomplished the goal of making our wives happy. It was difficult to say goodbye and part ways after four fun filled days and many laughs together. We all agreed that we need to plan another adventure together down the road.

Thanks Peter & Susan for being such great friends!

Phil & Melissa

Back