Blade Show West Q&A

A covid test is classified as “medical procedure.” So what you are saying is that it is not your fault that someone now has to get a “medical procedure” to attend your show? You are basically agreeing to this and standing your ground?

It's because the company who runs BLADEshow cares about one thing, that loot. They tried not to offer refunds when BLADE 2020 got cancelled, but caved thanks to overwhelming pressure.

It's because the company who runs BLADEshow cares about one thing, that loot. They tried not to offer refunds when BLADE 2020 got cancelled, but caved thanks to overwhelming pressure.
I remember that. I was lucky enough to have decided to buy a ticket at the door if I decided to go.

I agree, true intentions being revealed here…it must be the $$. 😉

I remember that. I was lucky enough to have decided to buy a ticket at the door if I decided to go.

I agree, true intentions being revealed here…it must be the $$. 😉
Yep, which is probably why the social media manager for Caribou Media Group (or whoever it is who owns this show now) is here, trying to drum up interest in this show. I'm guessing their attendance numbers are quite a bit less than expected, though I expect their agent will be back in here shortly to refute that, and then tell me the ticket policy again.

Yep, which is probably why the social media manager for Caribou Media Group (or whoever it is who owns this show now) is here, trying to drum up interest in this show. I'm guessing their attendance numbers are quite a bit less than expected, though I expect their agent will be back in here shortly to refute that, and then tell me the ticket policy again.
To be quite honest, I’m not sure if a company who does two Bladeshows a year and obviously turns a nice profit should have a “basic” membership here. ?? Who am I to say.

I was out as soon as it got moved to California from Portland anyways. But yes, I would agree that if people ask for refunds now because of a California mandate, they shall be given.

A covid test is classified as “medical procedure.” So what you are saying is that it is not your fault that someone now has to get a “medical procedure” to attend your show? You are basically agreeing to this and standing your ground?
It is required by LA County, it is state law that we have to follow, otherwise we could not have the event. The convention center is enforcing it and it is entirely out of control. They consider any event 1,000+ as a "mega event"and these are the events that require the proof of negative COVID testing or vaccine.

It is required by LA County, it is state law that we have to follow, otherwise we could not have the event. The convention center is enforcing it and it is entirely out of control. They consider any event 1,000+ as a "mega event"and these are the events that require the proof of negative COVID testing or vaccine.
So since it is not your fault, and not the ticket purchasers fault…will you be making an exception this year for ticket refunds?

Eh, I can see it from their point of view. First, they have no control over the mandates and second, if people didn't expect that this type of mandate was a very real possibility, then they have had their head in the sand. But maybe they can offer a ticket for a future event instead because the mandates were put in place after tickets were sold. But it's really not hard to get a vaccine or a test, CVS has both.

Just fyi, the home kits don't count. You can get tested for free, but if you need one very quickly (ie: guaranteed within a day or 2), you're likely to pay upwards of of $100-200. The show's in October, so people can plan ahead. The 72 hour window of a negative result and the uncertain timeframe of results of a free test (by a clinic, with documentation) could be tricky though.

To be quite honest, I’m not sure if a company who does two Bladeshows a year and obviously turns a nice profit should have a “basic” membership here. ?? Who am I to say.
Spark Spark has generally been supportive of community related events that have interest for our members, often overlooking whether or not the particular organization has a paid membership. It just depends on the situation, and I do not speak for him, but as one who has been moderating here for longer than some members have been alive.

In any case, rather than engage in a potentially acrimonious debate, it'd be better to use the "report" button and let Spark Spark and his elves get the matter resolved if there are matters needing resolution.

Spark Spark has generally been supportive of community related events that have interest for our members, often overlooking whether or not the particular organization has a paid membership. It just depends on the situation, and I do not speak for him, but as one who has been moderating here for longer than some members have been alive.

In any case, rather than engage in a potentially acrimonious debate, it'd be better to use the "report" button and let Spark Spark and his elves get the matter resolved if there are matters needing resolution.
Yes sir. Understood.

At the risk
Yes sir. Understood.
Probably a dumb question, but what would be the reason to purchase a membership above basic? Want to make sure I am doing things properly.

At the risk

Probably a dumb question, but what would be the reason to purchase a membership above basic? Want to make sure I am doing things properly.
None of the pigeon holes are a perfect fit. I'd have you address Spark Spark about what a relevant membership level would be, or if he would require it.

If he's not otherwise engaged, perhaps he'll show up and render an opinion.

Just fyi, the home kits don't count. You can get tested for free, but if you need one very quickly (ie: guaranteed within a day or 2), you're likely to pay upwards of of $100-200. The show's in October, so people can plan ahead. The 72 hour window of a negative result and the uncertain timeframe of results of a free test (by a clinic, with documentation) could be tricky though.
I had a drive thru test yesterday for free and the result came in 12 hours. I did see one place trying to charge, but there are quite a few options. Could depend on where you live.

At the risk

I guess for me…the only reason to buy a membership above basic, is that you are a company who makes $ off knife enthusiasts, so supporting the best knife forum on the internet with more than $10 is where I would sit.

No disrespect meant, as I agree with Blues Blues that there isn’t currently a membership level that fits your company. So I will leave that up to more qualified folks. :)

I didn't know those tests don't count. What's the point of them then?

I had a drive thru test yesterday for free and the result came in 12 hours. I did see one place trying to charge, but there are quite a few options. Could depend on where you live.
I have absolutely no idea how widespread this is, but our local library passes out free tests that have a corresponding app that verifies results for both work and government entities. You can take the test and then access a QR code with a 'pass' on your phone that they scan to verify. Not sure if this will help anyone hoping to attend.

I have absolutely no idea how widespread this is, but our local library passes out free tests that have a corresponding app that verifies results for both work and government entities. You can take the test and then access a QR code with a 'pass' on your phone that they scan to verify. Not sure if this will help anyone hoping to attend.
Yeah, my daughter mentioned seeing them at the library but I figured with the drive thru I wouldn't have to mail anything or whatever they have you do.

I guess for me…the only reason to buy a membership above basic, is that you are a company who makes $ off knife enthusiasts, so supporting the best knife forum on the internet with more than $10 is where I would sit.

No disrespect meant, as I agree with Blues Blues that there isn’t currently a membership level that fits your company. So I will leave that up to more qualified folks. :)
Gotcha, thank you for the info. We come here and read the comments and concerns about the show so we figured it would be a good time to actually get a real account and interact with the forums and folks here so just trying to figure it all out at the moment ha.

Back