Blade Show

Coming up in a few weeks. Hoping to order some supplies at show prices. Are there typically discounted show specials on abrasives and scale materials? Any suggestions on what vendors to visit?

Coming up in a few weeks. Hoping to order some supplies at show prices. Are there typically discounted show specials on abrasives and scale materials? Any suggestions on what vendors to visit?

I don't know about blanket discounts. Some vendors will have "discount" bins, of material with quirks or that they just have had for too long, that they save for the show. Most vendors will negotiate to some degree, or offer volume discounts, but bear in mind that, in most cases, it's more expensive for vendors to come to the show, than it is to sit at home and let shit sell over the internet.

The big appeal IMO, is that you can pick through and find the stuff that you think is really great for the money, and if paying cash, you can usually haggle a bit for a discount on things if you buy a bunch of stuff from one vendor, or buy something that's pretty expensive. This is more likely on things like handle material though, and I wouldn't expect or even ask for it on consumables like belts, glues, etc. at least not from the places that supply all sorts of stuff.

On the other hand, if you want to buy 1000 belts from some abrasives company, I'm certain, you could negotiate a pretty big discount.

I usually try to buy most of my fossil ivory at the show, and I'll look for things that I think are a good deal and that are the type I want, pick a few pieces if I can from whomever is selling it, and ask me what they can do on the price. I've rarely been refused, and on some really high dollar pieces, I'll make them an offer based on what would be a good deal to me. Go in there low-balling though, or acting entitled, and people will simply refuse to sell to you though. Be respectful, and fair, and you'll find all kinds of great value.

Things like stag, ivory, etc. it's just a HUGE advantage to be able to see the pieces in person, as opposed to photos. Stag especially you really never know what you're getting from photos, as the shape is so important to the end results.

I try to buy all my supplies for the year at the Blade Show. Of course, there are small, incidental orders throughout the year as needed.
As Javand said, handle materials are best bought in person. Blade steel, sheet metals, etc.,-not so much.
We won't be going this year, so I'll have to trust mail order supplies for a while.

I’m going, hoping to find a show special on a heat treat oven.
Last year the show prices on the Evenheats were the list prices. That means they were more expensive then online vendors, but you didn't pay shipping. Not that it mattered much since most of the demo models they had for sale were sold within the first hour on Friday. If you want one at the show, get there quick!

Last year the show prices on the Evenheats were the list prices. That means they were more expensive then online vendors, but you didn't pay shipping. Not that it mattered much since most of the demo models they had for sale were sold within the first hour on Friday. If you want one at the show, get there quick!

Yeah, with the continued rise in popularity of knifemaking, and so many people getting into the trade, don't expect to find any big "show discounts" on equipment. Only way that's gonna happen is if something is left at the end of the show a vendor doesn't want to take home, on the last day. That's very rare these days. Most of the time, all the demo models are sold for cash by the end of day Friday.

In the case of Evenheats, some online vendors sell for cheaper than the "list" price the manufacturers set, so you aren't saving anything, unless you just need/want to pay cash.

It is nice to check out the features in person though, which is really what the show is about for those vendors attending with equipment; not to move inventory.

Back