Blade treatment

I'm somewhat confused about the type of treatment that the SOG knives get at the factory, primarily the Seal Pup Elite. The steel used is AUS 8 which is a decent enough steel but with my Elite the steel seems to hold an edge better than other brand knives using the same steel. SOG says that they Heat Treat, but they also say that they Cryo Treat. I would think that each would change the structure of the steel in different ways. Does SOG use one or the other or do they use the treatments in combination with each other? Just wondering due to the awesome performance of the AUS 8 used by SOG. Thanks in advance.

Cryo treating is just an additional (optional) step to standard heat treating, all knives are heat treated to desired characteristics depending on the type of steel being used.

Another point to be made concerning heat treating knives is that the lowest quality steel if heat treated properly can out perform a good quality steel that has been heat treated fair to poorly.

The Cryo treatment improves stainless quite a bit. Refines grain structure which does something good, just can't remember what right now. Doesn't do as much to Carbon steel, but it does help also. Some makers do a cryo treatment to all their blades. SOG knows how to maximize AUS-8 from what I've seen.

Which Seal Pup Elite did you get? I'd love to get a Plain edged one some day.

I have both the Seal Pup and Seal Pup Elite. Both have the partially serrated blades. I use one of the knives in my hunting pack as my survival knife in case I need to spend the night in the hills. They are great for breaking down larger sticks and for use with a ferro rod both are a must for starting a fire. I have never tried to field dress an animal with either due to I always carry a knife a bit more dedicated to the job.

All the sogs ive had with the cryo treatment with the exception of my seki seal pup which I'm not for sure had it. All held an edge great especially the seal team elite which was unbelieveable.

I'm somewhat confused about the type of treatment that the SOG knives get at the factory, primarily the Seal Pup Elite. The steel used is AUS 8 which is a decent enough steel but with my Elite the steel seems to hold an edge better than other brand knives using the same steel. SOG says that they Heat Treat, Xender Discord Omegle but they also say that they Cryo Treat. I would think that each would change the structure of the steel in different ways. Does SOG use one or the other or do they use the treatments in combination with each other? Just wondering due to the awesome performance of the AUS 8 used by SOG. Thanks in advance.
all knives are heat treated to desired characteristics depending on the type of steel being used.

Last edited:
Back